dispatchdave

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great scifi recently would be abadonn's gate book 3 of the expanse series...really enjoyed it.

for urban fantasy Warbound book 3 of the grimnoir chronicles was awesome..

series is like an alternate history 1930's steam punky x-men book if all the mutants got their powers from some Great Old One. Jake Sullivans what they call a Heavy..a gravity spiker is the main protagonist along with Fay a young girl thats a well don't want to ruin it..

in fantasy my favorite recent series has to be the daylight war(book three of the demon cycle series) and Jim Butchers Codex Alera..really cool series..

I am partial to the Warded Man trilogy by Peter V. Brett. Every nightfall demons rise from the Core and hunt and kill unprotected humans. Human kinds only defense are Wards, ancient defensive symbols that repel demons. Legends tell of ancient wards that can be used as weapons.

ya the daylight war is book three of that series..really good. i love these books

• Like 1

I'm currently neck deep in barsoom, all of the wonderful pubic domain books are free on amazon and I've been reading john carter of mars series for a while now with a huge list of things to read afterwards.
Im also reading a lot of dark horse comics the three main ones being hellboy aliens and conan.

i've got a couple A Lee Martinez books I'm meaning to read but haven't had time to yet, he's very active on fb and fun to mess with.

things like this
51MMJZE98QL.jpg

Edited by pocketcthulhu

I know there's an older thread floating around somewhere, but I had some difficulty finding it, so here we go!

What's your current favourite?

I'm just starting The Republic of Thieves, the long-awaited third book in Scott Lynch's brilliant Gentlemen Bastards sequence. I enthusiastically recommend these to everyone I know!

I'm waiting for the audiobook, which releases in 10 days.

I am partial to the Warded Man trilogy by Peter V. Brett. Every nightfall demons rise from the Core and hunt and kill unprotected humans. Human kinds only defense are Wards, ancient defensive symbols that repel demons. Legends tell of ancient wards that can be used as weapons.

ya the daylight war is book three of that series..really good. i love these books

And just for completions sake the second book is the Desert Spear.

I would suggest the Riyria Revelations series by Michael J Sullivan available from Orbit. Revelations was originally self published by the author in 6 parts series, but Orbit converted them into 3 omnibus volumes. Revelations covers the adventures of a pair of problem-solvers for hire - Hadrian, a former soldier, and Royce, a former thief, after they have been working together for a number of years.

The author just published the first two books of the Riyria Chronicles. Chronicles covers Hadrian and Royce's first mission (Crown Tower) and the early years of their work together before the start of Revelations.

The only part I can remember well is that he had a perfect memory, someone asks him what his earliest memory is and he tells them he's not sure, but he can remember darkness, then a bright light and someone smacked him.

The rest of it doesn't ring a bell at all, but this is almost verbatim from Terry Pratchett's Small Gods.

Some goodies in this thread!

My own submissions would be: Chris Wooding's Tales of the Ketty Jay series (Retribution Falls/Black Lung Captain/Iron Jackal) My kind of "steampunk"!!

Anything by China Mieville when you want your mind twisted into knots, specifically The City & The City and his Perdito Street Station series.