Thrym

Myconid Cephalopod :: Ten-Foot Mushroom Monster

Here it is the finished ten-foot-tall Myconid Cephalopod. This strange critter lies in wait luring unsuspecting underground miners or adventurers close with its seemingly harmless glowing cap and then using both of its ten-foot-long tentacles it will rend you in half.

Wish I had lighting to make give this an underground look but here are the shots.

These are pre-Dullcote pics. I sealed the cap except for the spots to make it a little off. I also sealed the stalagmite and growths its perched on so it looks wet. Once I Dullcote it, I will likely add a bit of gloss varnish back to those areas.

As always comments are appreciated. If you see something I might have done differently or something I might improve with a different technique, please let me know. Please include links to videos and/or tutorials.

Thank you for checking this out.

From above the cap:

20130820_010748_20130820014428186.jpg20130820_010801_20130820014530162.jpg

20130820_010810_20130820014619915.jpg20130820_010818_20130820015550006.jpg

From below the cap (slightly):

20130820_011123_20130820014845710.jpg20130820_011130_20130820014930054.jpg

20130820_011136_20130820015108573.jpg20130820_011143_20130820015202388.jpg

If you want to use this idea in your campaign simply use the stats for a Roper and describe it like above. The players will never know what hit them. And then from here on out Mushrooms of any size will make them paranoid ... without eating them.

Blog Post | WIP

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 5

Killer shroom. The texture and painting on the cave rock is very well done.

Thanks. Check the WIP ... it's just sand, glue and paint. ::D:

Unless you mean the tentacle "scale" pattern ... that's my pin vise handle.

Edited by Thrym

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bluecrowlaura
      I decided to go with a sapphire troll! He won't last long, I'm afraid, walking around in a world with our greedy loot-crazed bunch.

This guy makes me want to do an entire Terry Pratchett troll series: Ruby, Detritus, Mister Shine, even Chrysoprase in his suit.

Happy painting,
      Laura

• By Mocha
      Hi folks, 

It's been awhile since I posted, and since I've been painting online with friends a lot more, I figured it was time to get back to it! Painted this one via Twitch livestream the other night when someone in chat suggested a freehand pattern similar to a marsh frog (to go with the "bog" theme). While I can't take credit for the idea, we took the concept and ran with it-- I think the freehand really makes him stand out! Below is a frog stock photo I pulled for general reference.

The hardest part was picking a random pattern to draw on the wings and mirroring it on the other side. Oh, and trying not to make him look too cute, with big, cartoony googly eyes, though the sculpt is stinkin' adorable, I just can't stand it! Thanks Bob Ridolfi for creating yet another Reaper sculpt that makes me smile 

I can't decide whether I want to break up the beautiful matte paint finish (all Reaper MSP colors) with a gloss varnish on the egg-like-sac-protuberances on his back... part of me wants to keep it all matte, but another part of me wants it to look extra gross and slimy. Thoughts?

I appreciate you taking a peek! Hope you have a great day 

Thanks,
      Mocha 

• By bluecrowlaura
      And here's a toad demon that I finished, despite the snow. I spent a little more time with this one; I just finished the slime drool today.

The broken wall is made from Hirst bits, and the drool is 2-part epoxy with some Golden's Green Gold stirred in. 

Is it okay that I prefer painting monsters to characters?

:-D

• By Patrik Strom
      When I first got the Naga from the Bones kickstarter I wasn't that excited. It looked ok at a glance but I didn't think I needed a naga at the time. Eventually I thought I try to extend my scenery collection and try to paint it as a statue. When I did and looked a bit closer at the mini I realized that it's a really cool sculpt! I still choose to go the statue route but I might just have to buy a new one and make a real one. I was also pleasantly surprised on how some superglue + the foam from the blister pack that some miniatures come with + Army Painter greenskin created some decent looking vegetation.

• By Pochi
      A couple of my players/friends gave me this and a gelatinous cube for Christmas and said, "Please don't kill us!" So hopefully he won't smush their characters too much!

I wanted to give him a little bit of color so I did some purple and pink on some of the leaves as well as bright mushrooms. I used a few tufts of foliage and moss on him. I didn't want to overdo it and cover too much of the figure. I like how he came out.

• Who's Online   41 Members, 1 Anonymous, 83 Guests (See full list)