Sign in to follow this  
ObsidianCrane

[Open]Deathsleet Bones

Ok so I've started on one of the bigger dragons amongst all the smaller stuff that I've been working on as well (like skeletons mostly) and figured I might as well put up an Open WIP thread for him.

At this stage I've assembled and removed the mould lines I saw with a mix of hobby knife and file. I noticed a couple of extras when I was putting the base coat on, but none of those are problematic enough for me to go back in with knife and file again to remove.

I then glued him to a bit of cork.

I then glued the cork to a 50mm square base (resin blank in this case, but plastic would do just fine as well), and because Deathsleet likes to lean forward and touch his toes with his forearms I glued the tip of his tail to the resin and cork with the help of a little boiling to get it flexible enough. This results in a dragon that is happy to stand proud.

Gaps around the wings are filled with (Atelier) Moulding Paste (available in various brands from art suppliers for far less than GW charges for liquid greenstuff), you can see this on the base as well covering the join between his "broccoli" bases and the cork.

Then I got out the LED blue and slathered it on. I'm still not certain what I'm going to do with the belly so it was left plain Bones. I'm not too concerned about the obvious brush strokes in the wings or the inconsistencies in the scales at this time. This colour is essentially the "deepest shadows" and so I'll be going over the whole model with drubrushing and so on as I work up to the mostly white dragon.

One thing I'll note at this time is most art of white dragons actually uses grey as the base colour (stone grey for example from the KS paint kits) rather than white. You could actually readily paint Deathsleet in Rainy Grey, then glaze/wash with black ink and then drybrush back through rainy grey to pure white. This is far more in keping with the usual DnD/Pathfinder white dragon art.

Anyway here is where my Deathsleet is at now;

post-7660-0-85778600-1377169431_thumb.jpg

(Oh the red and cork is because he doesn't fit inside my shoebox light box....)

• Like 9

I'm interested to see how you progress. That's a colour scheme I was trying with my coral dragon and I failed it pretty early (hence why he went coral ;p). But with yours I'll have something cool to refer to when I get around to my third dragon for the year.

Thanks for posting your progress on this OC; very helpful. I have been trying to figure out how to keep Deathsleet standing up, as once I put the wings on the weight bent him nearly to the ground. I was thinking about trying to pin his legs, but your methods seems much better!

Is Deathsleet a white or blue dragon? Or frost?

Looking forward to seeing your take on this. I too was thinking blue undercoat.

I'm just sorting his base and then I will join you here :)

I have to take some pics of other stuff later, so I'll get in on this too. Deathsleet is roughly colored at present, being picked at in the background. The problem with big projects (also Wyrmgear) is that I don't have exclusive time to devote to one big mini for the couple of weeks they take. There's always surprise gnolls, or player characters, or some other junk I have to get done in like 4 days. I was going to have a nice week of leisurely lozenging until out of nowhere I had to do a gnoll unit.

Good news is that when the new bones hit the store I can buy one more gnoll and that's all of them. # appearing 2-8, I have 7 with 2 archers. That's a decent spread.

Anyway, Sleet pics to come!

Ok. Decided that DS needs his own base, an ice base:

Plasticard base, green stuff and tools. Ready to rock. I've taken onboard the pinning / glueing tail to base to stabilise so will incorporate a thick bit where the tail will attach:

post-8094-0-05324400-1379540814_thumb.jpg

Where DS will go, what I need to sculpt around:

post-8094-0-91854400-1379540724_thumb.jpg

First bit of green stuffing before sculpting:

post-8094-0-28147300-1379541008_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dadcubed
  • Like 2

More progress. DS is on his base now. Going to add more GS and some slate. Then it's time for a clean ready for priming!

post-8094-0-93470700-1379616367_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Hmm, maybe Deathsleet will be my reward for finishing the current round of goblins for my players to fight. Of course, the PC minis still aren't painted either, but they'll survive a little longer.

I will need to figure out how I'm going to pin his legs though. Think I can use a lighter to heat up some unbent paperclips?

My other concern is how to differentiate the white of the snowy base from the white of the dragon.

Hmm, maybe Deathsleet will be my reward for finishing the current round of goblins for my players to fight. Of course, the PC minis still aren't painted either, but they'll survive a little longer.

I will need to figure out how I'm going to pin his legs though. Think I can use a lighter to heat up some unbent paperclips?

My other concern is how to differentiate the white of the snowy base from the white of the dragon.

I've glued the feet to a base and pinning the tail to the base too.

I'm going for a icy (blue) outcropping vs his white dragon scale. Hopefully that will give the contrast needed :)

I'm gluing his feet to a base, but the base I'm planning on using is too small to also accommodate his tail, so I'm going to have to pin. But I'm a broke college student, so I need to find a way to do that with items I already have, which precludes any fancy wire, clippers, or drills.

I'm gluing his feet to a base, but the base I'm planning on using is too small to also accommodate his tail, so I'm going to have to pin. But I'm a broke college student, so I need to find a way to do that with items I already have, which precludes any fancy wire, clippers, or drills.

What size is the base? You might get away with just gluing him to the base?

Got some snow down, filled some gaps and pinned the tail to the base. Tomorrow clean up and a shampoo ready for undercoat!

post-8094-0-60678000-1379703581_thumb.jpg

post-8094-0-79628300-1379703591_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Oh no, I am going to glue him to the base, but mine has the weak ankle problem, so I need to strengthen his legs. It's not an issue of connecting him to the base, just an issue of keeping him from toppling over once he's on it.

Oh no, I am going to glue him to the base, but mine has the weak ankle problem, so I need to strengthen his legs. It's not an issue of connecting him to the base, just an issue of keeping him from toppling over once he's on it.

Mine too had weakness which caused him to slowly, over about 24 hours, topple over. Gluing the feet to the base and gluing the tail will be enough to keep him up.

And therein lies the problem: the tail extends over the base, so I can't do the three-point gluing method. Plus I haven't ever pinned anything before, so it'll be a fun experiment.

• Like 1