Sign in to follow this  
Wilwarin

Ultra Forge's Vrok

This is the LARGEST I have ever painted at a whopping 5 inches tall! I must admit that it pushed me beyond my comfort zone, but I enjoyed the challenge. There were many times I just wanted to throw the thing at the wall, but didn’t… and I’m happy with the results.

I painted Ultraforge’s Vrok (Greater Lord of Change) with a rather cool colorscheme. I had no idea what to paint it and the few I saw online were either a pastel purple or greenish-blue. I have a friend who is planning on possibly purchasing him from me, so I wanted something that wouldn’t be too much of an eyesore with his overall color scheme.

In the mood of its name, I found “Let’s Change!” by plch on Colourlovers:

lets_change.png?w=500

I really like how the colors play on each other. After painting him, I did a few washes on pretty much everything and then drybrushed highlights on. His base is on a wooden plaque with two stones glued on, that I painted over, some water effects to form a swamp, and some flock on the stones for moss. Enjoy! He took about 30 hours to paint!

post-4937-0-28581200-1377293141_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Nice! I dig the Ultra Forge stuff, have thought about picking up their Mercenary Giant a few times. I like what you did here, as it is different than other iterations of this model I've seen, but still striking. Top notch, man.

• Like 1

Very very nice.

I really like the colour you chose for the main body and how it contrasts with the wings and the rest of the mini. ::):

I don't have this figure but I do own several of UltraForges minis and they are great sculpts indeed.

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone :) The photos don't do it justice >.< Unfortunately the highlights are a bit dim in my photos :( I need a new camera, it seems :(

Nice work on a challenging model. The base as well. The one suggestion I would make is to push the value scale on the wings a little. Lighter lights, darker darks.

Thanks! I actually pushed the highlights on the wings up to white and did a dark wash over them. He's varnished now, so I'm calling him done. I have a show I'm going to, coming up on Sunday, and have other things I need to finish for it as well, so he's done for now :) I do appreciate your critiques, though!!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Dae
      After several iterations of painting and base, I'm finally happy with my Griffon and I'm calling it finished! 

The mini ended up looking a bit cartoony 

I did go for something else initially, but it seemed too plain for a griffon, so I was happy to exchange realism for 'striking'. More on PSA.

And I just finished redoing the base -- thanks for support on the WIP board. 

• By Dae
      I planned to go for the coloring suggestion on the box, except with brighter feathers. After base coat and a wash it seemed to turn rather plain. I keep the underside this way, while for the top side of the wings I started adding some variation to the feathers, gradually daring to add more detail and contrast. Took a while to get there, but in the end I was happy and called it finished. I even took a fun picture with it:

But now that I'm a few minis wiser, I demoted him from finished to lacking base. And this is where I am stuck now. 

I had this plan of making a sandstone cliff looking base. I positioned him and started building up terrain, working carefully not to damage the finished mini. I colored some stones of various sizes in a few colors so I don't need to paint as much around the mini and I started to glue my rocks carefully around the base. 

I kept working on it for hours thinking I am getting somewhere, but once I took a break and looked at it again from all sides... I stand by my rocks, I think in a few steps they'll look great, but the scene makes no sense. These are not cliffs, more like a stone quarry, what would a griffon be doing there? - that's too specific and unlikely.

Time to "delete" this somehow and start over... Wish me luck!

https://pocketsizedadventurers.wordpress.com/2019/12/18/griffon-wings/

• By PhantomAquarist
      I was having some fun playing with green stuff and decided to revamp the base of this Goroloth. I scupted corals, tube sponge, starfish, and a deadly blue-ringed octopus! There's some pictures of the sculpts before trimming and painting also. :D

• By Rigel
      Picked this beauty up cheap a year ago as a FLGS was liquidating some old stock. Now, I have time and a better understanding of some skills. And my love of metallics is a matter of public record. 

Here's my start on the body: ArmyPainter Rough Iron above, DecoArt Rich Espresso brass on the sides, DecoArt Worn Penny copper below. I'll paint the smokestacks and dorsal engine in steel colors. The legs I'm still working out, but they will probably have much the same metals. I'm trying to avoid golds on this. 

I'm not sure what to do with those innards. Leather bellows? Leaf springs? A red-glowing internal furnace, as on the box art? I dunno, what do you think?

One major thing I want to do is leave Wyrmgear as a drake for now so we can show off those dorsal smokestacks. No wings, just a 40-foot smoke-belching mechanical killing machine. I might mod on an elaborate array of exhaust pipes near the wings, as on a souped-up hot rod engine. 

Why? Partly because have you SEEN some of the other Wyrmgears here, with the chrome wings and the flawless fantasy landscape painting wings and etc? I can't compete with that! And partly because, while I can't compete with magnificent wing art, I can spatchcock aberrant machines together as well as the next fella, and I want to use those wings for a steampunk flying machine, an ungodly hybrid of von Zeppelin and Lilienthal. I've got some ping-pong balls and Christmas ornaments just begging to be made into balloons for this purpose...
    • By Hyperion
      So I used to paint a ton, but that was maybe 10 years ago. I just started getting back into the hobby and I've run into an issue. 
      Reaper used to make metal bases that were recessed. I know they sold them in square, maybe 1" or so. I'm pretty confident that they also sold them in round, but I'm not 100% on that.

Now I've been working on a mini project and the base that comes with the figure is abysmal. I was really hoping I could just clip the fig off the existing base and with the help of a little green stuff put it on a new metal base. I really prefer the feel and weight that a metal base would add to the figure.

It appears now that Reaper isn't selling those bases anymore. Does anyone know where I could either find some old inventory and pick up a handful of them, or does anyone know of another source that makes a similar product?
  • Who's Online   28 Members, 2 Anonymous, 36 Guests (See full list)