helping noobs -> good karma (painting kickstarter bones)

Pixel

Well, you've got washes nailed, so uh...

That's all I know about. Um, undercoat steel with black or grey, and gold with brown or yellow. Wash steel with black or grey, gold with brown or black. Reaper paints are great, as are several others.

NOT RECOMMENDED: Vallejo Model Colour are great paints but difficult to use and tend to rub off. Don't expect to use artist or craft paints straight out of the bottle on Bones (it might work or it might not).

Definitions: cheap "dime store" craft and folk-art paints are called "craft", "artist's" refers to expensive artist's formulations (but if they have "student" on the label they're neither expensive nor for artists), and hobby paints are anything formulated especially for this hobby. Most hobby paints stick to Bones with no primer (they won't do so well on metal without primer), except Valejo Model Colour, which tends to rub off.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some new folks found this thread useful: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47928-buglipss-bones-wip-request-thread/?p=683582

I'm a pretty lazy painter, so I set out to find a way to paint decent-looking stuff fast and easy. But it uses all the same basic stuff the more fancypants results require, so it's easy to build on.

Hah - reading that thread was why I decided to join the form and post here! I didn't find it until after most of these were painted, but I took some tips and applied it to the golems. I keep hoping he will add more, although having gone through the process of preparing a picture to post here, it is a LOT of work, and I can't imagine doing the WIPs like he did.

THanks,

Heidi

And of course by "he" I meant "you."

*blush*

Heidi

• Like 1

Reaper organizes its Master Series Paints (MSPs from here on out) in a triad system of shade, base tone, and highlight, taking away a lot of the issues in trying to shade down a color or highlight it up. Some of these are obviously marked XXXX Shade, XXXX, XXXX Highlight - the skin colors are an excellent example of that - and some of them are a bit more subtle, for example Graveyard Bone, Aged Bone, Polished Bone*. The triad colors can be found in the online store here, if you're not fortunate enough to have a local store that carries Reaper paints (I'm not; my Friendly Local Game Store [FLGS, you'll see this abbreviation often]) only carried Formula P3s [my other favorite paint], Army Painter War Paint starter sets, and Games Workshop's Citadel paints).

*May not actually be the name of the Bone Triad colors... I don't have that one.

It sounds like some flesh triads would help me enormously. I went ahead an ordered two of the learn to paint kits last night, so thanks for that tip! I'll call around my game shops and see if they carry Reaper, but the two I've been to most I'm pretty sure do not, so I'll probably end up ordering online. Thanks for the detailed description - I appreciate the time it took and how specific it was!

Heidi

• Like 3

Great start! I think you'll see a world of difference when you get the Learn To Paint Kits in and try out some better quality paints.

I know what you mean about a lot of different information on the interwebs, it can be frustrating. Basically, everyone has to learn what works for them... then you have to post it on the web and claim it's the only way to correctly paint miniatures.

• Like 1

Some new folks found this thread useful: http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/47928-buglipss-bones-wip-request-thread/?p=683582

I'm a pretty lazy painter, so I set out to find a way to paint decent-looking stuff fast and easy. But it uses all the same basic stuff the more fancypants results require, so it's easy to build on.

Hah - reading that thread was why I decided to join the form and post here! I didn't find it until after most of these were painted, but I took some tips and applied it to the golems. I keep hoping he will add more, although having gone through the process of preparing a picture to post here, it is a LOT of work, and I can't imagine doing the WIPs like he did.

THanks,

Heidi

I'm still taking requests, I'll just post them in the Kickstarter Group WIP threads instead of in that thread. See if it spurs some extra participation.

I like it when I'm useful!

So anybody with a request can ask on that thread, and what I'll do is if the request is a Kickstarter one I'll post a link in the thread to the post it begins at on the applicable Group WIP thread.

Don't know why I never thought of that sooner.

I will definitely take you up on that offer! It is a really helpful thread. Now to ponder what to ask for...

Thanks!

Heidi

The LTPK's and getting some good Reaper Master Series paints will help a lot. That will give you a few things that you will notice immediately. First, you can ditch the primer all together. With reaper paints, you can paint your bones directly. Primer actually has a weaker bond with the Bones than the Reaper MSPs; just remember to fully scrub the mini with dish soap and water, rinse, then dry before painting. Second, with MSP, the flow improver is in the paint and you can ditch the wash mix. MSP's thin well with water, just ensure that you use them undiluted for your base coat. Finally, when thinned properly, the MSPs combined with a descent brush (like the ones in the kit) will give you much better control of where your paint goes and you will be able to do those eyes and fine details a lot better.

Check out the following article: Bettie Davis Eyes

It is a good basic method for achieving outstanding eyes.

Keep up the good work.

Andy

• Like 2

If you plan on continuing with the Liquitex even a bit in the future, you might look into some medium to thin them out with. I use Liquitex Matte medium myself, and use it and water to thin when I paint with craft paints. I'm sure Pingo is lurking around somewhere, and can probably give you some better advice as far as artist paints go. Myself I've only used craft paints and RMS. As for a brush on dullcoat there are several brush on sealers you can use. Obviously Reaper makes one that I think highly of (it's also good for thinning paints :) ). It's humid here year round, so I don't use much spray on, unless I'm pushing it through an airbrush, something I've been playing with more and more.

Here are two gemstone tutorials I like:

http://www.coolminiornot.com/articles/1041-painting-gemstones

http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_gemstonesf.php

Loim,

The way I made the Liquitex Basics work for me is to thin them with Les's wash mix, which has both matte medium and flow aid in it. I basically keep a huge un-inked bottle around and use it for everything, as it makes even cheap paint behave, though with the Basics paints it takes a lot of thinning and waste to get something useable.

I wonder if I'll luck out and the reaper brush on sealer is part of the Learn to Paint kits I just bought?

Thanks for the pointer to the gem tutorials - I will check them out tonight!

Heidi

You are welcome to any color choices you think I got right!

Thanks,

Heidi

That's good, because I'm totally stealing what you did on Virinia. I have one in metal already, and I gave her Willy Wonka candy colours for some reason. Can't remember why, but everybody is tempted to put her in their mouth to see if she tastes like Sweet Tarts or Bottle Caps.

ETA: I also put translucent dice in a candy bowl sometimes just to torture people. They look like jolly ranchers with numbers! But they're inedible and not tasty! Why are you doing this to us?

Heh heh heh heh.

I'm glad you like her - I thought about the colors a lot. And also agonized on if I should paint the nipples, lol!

That is a wicked trick with the dice! If I hadn't already experienced how helpful you are, I'd wonder about your alignment.

Thanks again,

Heidi

• Like 2

That is a wicked trick with the dice! If I hadn't already experienced how helpful you are, I'd wonder about your alignment.

Thanks again,

Heidi

Oh, oh, oh. Don't do that. There's no need to wonder; Buglips is chaotic. Old school chaotic. He's helpful because being evil all the time is predictable, and predictable is orderly.

Just when you think you can trust him, there comes a pitter patter in the night and all your milk is spoiled in the morning...

• Like 4

Hey, I'm currently shooting a video series of painting the Bones Ogre Chieftain from start to finish on my youtube channel. I go over everything from start to finish and show the way that I paint. I show some advanced concepts in painting, but also some very basic ones. I can't promise this will teach you anything you need to know as it's more or less a demonstration of some of the ways that I paint as I tackle a mini made of bonesium Since I go over and show so much in this series you may end up with more questions but I'll still give you a link so you can check out the videos and watch someone do it as that's a way some people respond well to learning, and the point of these videos. I like to share my info and if people can learn something to improve themselves then awesome.

I talk about consistency of paint, and show up close and personal all the detail of applying with a brush, at the very least that should be good to see for a beginner.

The first video of the series is here and I'm up to video 10 with more to come daily until this project is done, except weekends as I get busy then mostly.

• Like 5

Hey, I'm currently shooting a video series of painting the Bones Ogre Chieftain from start to finish on my youtube channel. I go over everything from start to finish and show the way that I paint. I show some advanced concepts in painting, but also some very basic ones. I can't promise this will teach you anything you need to know as it's more or less a demonstration of some of the ways that I paint as I tackle a mini made of bonesium Since I go over and show so much in this series you may end up with more questions but I'll still give you a link so you can check out the videos and watch someone do it as that's a way some people respond well to learning, and the point of these videos. I like to share my info and if people can learn something to improve themselves then awesome.

I talk about consistency of paint, and show up close and personal all the detail of applying with a brush, at the very least that should be good to see for a beginner.

The first video of the series is here and I'm up to video 10 with more to come daily until this project is done, except weekends as I get busy then mostly.

Just an FYI for anyone not in the know, but Darkstar is a VERY good painter, listen to him.

Edited by TaleSpinner
  • Like 2

Just and FYI for anyone not in the know, but Darkstar is a VERY good painter, listen to him.

True fact. Darkstar is very skilled. TaleSpinner is also a good painter, you should listen to him as well (and sculptor).

• Like 1

Welcome welcome! ::D: Glad you found us too, the community here is AWESOME, super supportive and good at giving constructive criticism when asked (as you can see).

Thanks for sharing pics of your minis, it's cool seeing how you've improved with each one! Your golems look very good, and the hair on each mini (with hair) looks really quite good. That dark green you used on the pirate coats and orc skin is simply scrumptious, I'm sorely tempted to go get a tube of it myself. What's the name of it?

I would also add my recommendation for Reaper's paints; they've already got flow improver in them, and are thin enough to use straight out of the bottle. They thin very nicely for making washes and glazes, and blend easily with each other.

I wish you luck in your learning! Don't forget to have fun, and if you start to feel like a particular mini is driving you crazy, take a break and go paint something else for a bit. That's helped keep me interested and engaged, and I'm also someone who has a bad habit of picking up a new hobby, going nuts with it for a few weeks, then stuffing it in a cupboard and forgetting about it. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

OneBoot,

Thanks for the welcome! I think I'm sold on getting some Reaper paints - everyone here is very enthusiastic about them!

One good piece of painting advice google gave me was to keep a painting notebook...which I failed to do. I'm pretty sure I used Liquitex Basics Hooker Green as a start, and then yellowed and browned it up a bit for the pieces you mention, but clearly it's time to start taking notes.

Thanks you for the good wishes and support!

Heidi

• Like 3

I'm late to the party, but welcome aboard! You're off to a great start, and you're getting a ton of helpful info here.

I swear by the painting notebook, whatever your method of implementing it. It's a great reference, and after you've been painting a while and need to recreate a particular shade of teal, you can go back years later and find out your recipe. Good stuff. I usually add a note mentioning the mini the color scheme was done on, so if I need to go grab it off the shelf and see that mix in action, I can do so.

Happy painting! I look forward to seeing more pieces (and the crazy eyes will get better, I promise, the more of them you do!) I'm finally starting to enjoy painting them, a little :)

• Like 2