Sign in to follow this  
Pixel

helping noobs -> good karma (painting kickstarter bones)

Thanks for the compliments everyone!  A thing I learned at Genghis (in the Leveling Up class, appropriately enough) is the importance of knowing where you are as a painter.  I have a hard time with that, especially since there is ALWAYS more to learn.  Can I throw off the mantle of noobness without knowing how to do OSL or TMM or ever having painted a larger mini?  Where in the giant list of mini techniques is the boundary between noobness and non-noobness?

I still FEEL nooby.

I'm pretty excited about ReaperCon because it's a medal competition, so you get judged against a standard rather than the other entries.  I suppose if I manage to medal there, that's a pretty good indication of where I am.  But I mostly feel like keeping this thread going until I've been painting a year, which would be July. 

Looking at the cat pics the morning, I'm going to re-do the eyes.  A friend sent me examples, and I think the pupil should be much smaller for a cat eye.  Also, the rear right leg needs work.  Any opinions on the basing?  It seems dark to me, but if I lighten it up, will I lose that contrast with the cat I was going for?

Thanks again to everyone - I love this board!

Heidi

• Like 5

Just found these forums today....just found this thread 5 minutes ago. Holy cow!!! The progression of your skill is impressive! What a way to build your skill. And congrats on your 1st place! Really, very impressive. I have zero artistic talent, I butcher a stick figure drawing, but I have a few friends who are amazing at this stuff. You though, have really learned this craft well. Anyhow, even though I have no skill I figured I would share in your glory and give a thumbsup! Thanks for sharing!

• Like 4

Ooh! I love the cat- it reminds me of the chesire cat.  I see what you're doing with the eyes- large cats don't have slitted pupils like housecats, so it's different than what we'd expect.  I think it may be the whites of the eyes that keep the effect from looking more feline- if you look at a lion's eye for example, you really don't see any white at all, it's all golden with a round dark pupil.  I love the green you've chosen for his eyes.  But maybe trim the white back a bit?

Congrats on Genghis!!!  You're awesome!!!

• Like 1

Heidi, totally agree with the others here. You are no longer a noob even if you feel like it, your work tells a whole different story. I'd say you should start some new threads for 2014. Do a consolidated new WIP thread and when you are done with your figures do individual show off threads with appropriate tags for manufacturer and model numbers. I like the way Cash and Kuro did theirs so I started doing the same thing.

• Like 1

First off:  http://www.necrotales.com/necroTutorials/tut_gemstonesf.php  You can search for other gemstone-painting tutorials.  Once the "there's no way that works" fear wears off the technique is pretty simple.

Your work has already improved tenfold, so my advice is to use advice only to improve on what you've already learned through trial and error!

As far as specific tips. . . Mm..dry your brush even more when you're drybrushing--if you use a paper towel to wipe the excess paint off, wipe until you can't see any more, then put brush to mini.

Eyes. .  funny, I've been doing this for about 20 years and have only painted a couple dozen eyes.  Unless you want the practice, don't worry much about even doing them.  If you want to do them, skip the brush and use a toothpick and just barely touch it to the paint--then just use the briefest thought of touching the tip (quickly, so it doesn't dry though) to the eyeball.  If that's not enough paint, just do it again til it looks satisfactory.

The last few pics looked like the figures had a high sheen to them.  Flat paints and finishes will hide "flaws" better.  Are your paints glossy?  I've used, and use now, the cheap acrylics with decent effect, especially for learning or on terrain.  Do thin them a bit, water is almost always okay unless you have excessively hard water or HIGH chlorine content.  Do it, it'll make them behave.

Your washes already look way better in the latter pics, so no comments there.  Keep up the trials.

Color choice is kind of out there, but looks cool anyway on some of those.  That's such a subjective concept though.  Check out a color wheel and some color theory--basic stuff, but it gives more structure to your own intuition on schemes.

Most of all, keep it up.  Yer doin' fine.

• Like 1

Though I've not been painting as long as most of the folks on this forum, I have read a lot and picked up quite a few tips/techniques from those that are much better than me. I'd have to disagree with BLZ about the eyes, to me the eyes make the mini especially when you are trying to improve and enter these figures into contests at Cons or even on this site they are a must to master. No need to regress back to no eyes being done when you have pretty much mastered doing them at this point, which is another part of the reason I say you shouldn't be called a noob anymore Heidi.  

I also disagree with the dry-brushing on a paper towel, it's too easy to get fibers from the paper towel on the brush and then you end up with lint on your figure, the option that I've read that works the best for the dry-brushing is to use those blue workshop towels or even coffee filters (which are what I use) as they won't get fibers/lint on your brush like a paper towel or more regular towel will. 

Anyhow, keep up the amazing work!

• Like 4

Yeah, definitely paint eyes, and don't use a toothpick to do them.  You just need a brush with a very fine point, and enough bristles to hold the paint and keep it wet.  Using unthinned paint will give you lumpy results quickly, and that's the last thing you want with eyes.

• Like 6

Thanks for the compliments everyone!  A thing I learned at Genghis (in the Leveling Up class, appropriately enough) is the importance of knowing where you are as a painter.  I have a hard time with that, especially since there is ALWAYS more to learn.  Can I throw off the mantle of noobness without knowing how to do OSL or TMM or ever having painted a larger mini?  Where in the giant list of mini techniques is the boundary between noobness and non-noobness?

I still FEEL nooby.

I'm pretty excited about ReaperCon because it's a medal competition, so you get judged against a standard rather than the other entries.  I suppose if I manage to medal there, that's a pretty good indication of where I am.  But I mostly feel like keeping this thread going until I've been painting a year, which would be July.

Welcome to my world. In some ways, I've definitely been able to lift myself out of newbness but in many other ways, I'm still right there learning the fundamentals. I'd say you shouldn't be afraid to try new techniques, the fun part of being a newb is that it's ALL new so why not? I think it's actually tougher as you get better, as people stop expecting you to make mistakes! Every time I start an nmm project, I feel like it's the first time. I think I subconsciously keep picking models so vastly different from each other that I can't use what I learned on the last one ("Hey, I painted a nice longsword...let's never paint a longsword again!").

I'm also wondering how I'll fare at ReaperCon. I honestly have no clue. I can't even pick which are my best models to enter, though I do have a couple that people like a lot (gravedigger, anval) that should probably go in.

• Like 3

I'm also wondering how I'll fare at ReaperCon. I honestly have no clue. I can't even pick which are my best models to enter, though I do have a couple that people like a lot (gravedigger, anval) that should probably go in.

You should bring Luther as well. The white you did on him is absolutely knock it out of this park fantastic.

• Like 1

Thanks, he's my favorite but people didn't really react to him very well. Minis are like songs, what I create, what I like, and what people enjoy can easily be three different things!

• Like 5

Everyone has their own favorites that's true. I also really like your Goldar, his skin tones are awesome.

Anyhow, back to Pix's thread she's doing a great job on these figures and I see her being one of the next greats of this community very soon with how quickly she's improved and continues to improve.

• Like 2

Congratulations on your win, Pixel! You've come a long way, and you should be proud of your work.

For your lion, I think the fur works well with the dark base color, even if it isn't fully realistic.

• Like 1

Wow... you put me in my place and I started painting minis 13 years ago. Nice job! The first few that you didn't like made my first batch look like a preschooler painted them.

Good paints make a HUGE difference. I used to work with the Citadel paints (hey, Games Workshop was the only gaming miniature company I knew of for years) but I got a couple of the Reaper paint sets with my vampire kickstarter set and they are brilliant! Much more durable and they last a lot longer too. I think the metallics look a lot nicer and they mix better than the Citadel ones.

Keep going the way you are. I'm going to be watching this thread. I think there could be a multiple trophy winner in development here.

Edited by kamorth
  • Like 1