Sign in to follow this  
Maledrakh

I would like to see bones in black plastic

I would highly recommend getting some Liquitex black acrylic gesso and brush painting it on. It'll look like it's filing in the detail but then it will shrink down into the all the detail perfectly. Works great on bones.

• Like 5

Changing the color would also necessitate a new part number - so customers could be 100% sure to get the color they preferred, black for those that wanted it, white for those that wanted that.

Right now, I am not aware of any intention to take this step, but then, back in 2007 when we debuted Legendary Encounters and the fans asked for unpainted plastic, we told them there were no plans to do that at that time also.

By mid 2011, we had plans to do precisely that.

My point - I don't want to say never, but I can definitely say not in the foreseeable future.

Well, I hope at least the experiments with colour continues.

The translucents are nice,and some alternate shades could be fun. Large beasts could be made with matching shades. A large bulette made of blue bonesium would be fun, and for people looking for tabletop quality, you'd only need to drybrush some highlights and they'd be good to go. And if you are doing a higher quality paint job, the colour of the plastic shouldn't matter. Similarly, some brown kobold sprues would only need some clothes and weapon painting to be ready for the gaming table.

I am already imagining a full set of the 10 iconic chromatic (red, white, black, green and blue) and metallic (copper, bronze, silver, gold and brass) dragons, plus a couple sets of paints containing dark washes and light highlights matched to the base draconic colours. That's 12 stretch goals sorted right there. ::):

Of course you already did a pile of dragons, so alternate coloured creatures could be the blue bulette I already mentioned, a green carrion crawler, a brown chimera, a dark grey displacer beast, a dark red efreeti, a set of translucent elementals (clear air, brown earth, blue water and red fire), a beige manticore, a really massive purple worm, a greenish brown shambling mound, a black umber hulk or any number of dinosaurs. These are all critters gamers love, so the table top folks would probably really appreciate the almost pre-painted quality of coloured plastic.

• Like 1

I gotta admit, I'm hoping for a colossal Tiamat, that is done well (I didn't care for the King of the Evil Dragons done by CSM). It should be bigger than the colossal Red from WotC, although I'm not sure they can make something that big. It certainly would be bigger and better though.

• Like 2

I would highly recommend getting some Liquitex black acrylic gesso and brush painting it on. It'll look like it's filing in the detail but then it will shrink down into the all the detail perfectly. Works great on bones.

I second the use of gesso... It's what I use with no problems thus far. Living in Canada, using the spray on primers can be problematic which is why, when I'm through with the cans, I'll likely discontinue their use altogether in my painting. Same goes with varnish / sealant ...

M

I gotta admit, I'm hoping for a colossal Tiamat, that is done well (I didn't care for the King of the Evil Dragons done by CSM). It should be bigger than the colossal Red from WotC, although I'm not sure they can make something that big. It certainly would be bigger and better though.

Now a colossal Takhisimat, that should come with a Buglips as a familiar like Hyrekia did for Kaladrax.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 5

I slapped on some runny black AppleBarrel craftpaint on some skellies, followed by grey then white drybrush. Worked great. Runny black paint works better than black primer b/c it leaves the raised areas whitish, making them easier to paint. Also, after a black wash, you can also see the mold lines you missed.

The problem with "pre-basecoating" things is that Reaper and the painter might have very different ideas about what color a mini should be. I painted my copy of Flit (who is theoretically a red dragon) as a white dragon. Had they made it out of red plastic, that would have been way harder to do, since red would show through the white basecoat, while red can be slapped down onto white plastic easily. I can turn Deathsleet into a red dragon if I want with no problem. This is especially important since one of the major selling points of Bones is that it doesn't need primer of any sort.

• Like 2

There might be a few D&D creatures that would be a no-brainer to do in a Black material.

Black Bear

Black Pudding

Blackskate

Blackstone Gigant

Black Dragon / Shadow Dragon

Black Ethergaunt

Blackscale Lizardmen

Black Slaad

Black Unicorn

Black Rock Triskelion (Earth Avatar)

Blackspawn Raider / Exterminator / Stalker

Black Abishai

Blackwing

Vultures / Buzzards

I don't even know what some of these are (I quit playing D&D before some of them were published). The point is there are a few fantasy creatures which are intrinsically meant to be jet black -- the color is almost part of their stats.

A not-nice, grim, savage, DIRE Unicorn provided in a black material would do well, I think.

OK, KS only coloured Bones, limited pledges, pledging for it gets you the Vampire-analogous boxful, all cast in one colour (choose from available).

NO!

I'll be compelled to buy a ser in every colour!

There might be a few D&D creatures that would be a no-brainer to do in a Black material.

Black Bear

Black Pudding

Blackskate

Blackstone Gigant

Black Dragon / Shadow Dragon

Black Ethergaunt

Blackscale Lizardmen

Black Slaad

Black Unicorn

Black Rock Triskelion (Earth Avatar)

Blackspawn Raider / Exterminator / Stalker

Black Abishai

Blackwing

Vultures / Buzzardsan

I don't even know what some of these are (I quit playing D&D before some of them were published). The point is there are a few fantasy creatures which are intrinsically meant to be jet black -- the color is almost part of their stats.

A not-nice, grim, savage, DIRE Unicorn provided in a black material would do well, I think.

But what if I want to paint the black dragon as a differently colored dragon, or a black unicorn as a white unicorn, or a black pudding as an ochre jelly, et cetera. It's much easier to paint any of those black if they're cast in white, but much harder to do the reverse. If people only ever painted things the studio color scheme, then that would be fine, but that's not even remotely the case. Casting something in colored plastic reduces the versatility the miniature. It's true that black dragons are black by definition. But if you make a dragon in white plastic, I can easily make it a black dragon, or a red dragon, or a white dragon, or a blue dragon. If you cast it in black plastic, I'm limited to making it a black dragon if I don't want to prime or struggle with basecoating it white several times over.

• Like 1

As a non-minis hobbyist, I wouldn't mind Bones in any given color. Black would be cool. However, I'm fine with them being white. That might be one of the things that prompts me to slop some paint on 'em, to bring out detail.

I could see all the previously mention issues meaning we'll never see black or colored Bones for most of them, unless it is something special, like the elementals.

And I'm fine with that.

However, I do have to admit that I wouldn't mind seeing one of the more generic looking dragons come in multiple colors, even if you could only get them that way as a set.

Edited by kristof65

Maybe the colours could be an occasional limited release to keep down the overhead of managing them on a constant basis (Special edition? Annual release with a new colour each time?).

I'd imagine that would create a lot of excitement and action on the webstore to justify the cost overhead in those times without it being a continual cost. And they could become semi-collectors editions if specific colours don't roll around super often.

And white would stay a permanent default option, so you'll be able to get your colour fix for the big beasties, but still get your Knights in White Satin.....

(sorry I couldn't resist)