PaintWorks Terrain Paint

Klingbeil

Interesting idea, it's definitely an unexplored niche. With the recent spate of terrain based kickstarters, and with more to come I'm sure thanks to the successes, this might be ideal timing. You don't want to be spamming, but I'd suggest a couple posts in threads devoted to completed projects, there are a lot of people with tons of terrain on the way.

• Like 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Reaper would be that bothered if you posted about a mini paint Kickstarter. I mean, their main business is selling miniatures, and they certainly don't have a problem with us posting Kickstarters for those.

Seconded.

If nothing else, it can't hurt to ask. They an only virtually nail-bat you, after all.

• Like 1

Very interesting project but I'm not sure that it would be practical for me.

I do a lot of terrain for my gaming group and am one of those guys who bought a lot of Dwarve Forge in their KS. My concern with hobby centric products is that, in many cases, the same or similar product can be found outside our niche market. I get skeptical when something is presented as "specially designed".

The other aspect for me is that my current terrain supply (the Americana brand hobby paints - I like their pigment density, duribility and variety of colours) is available locally. So, if I run out in the middle of a project, I can pop down to the local store to get it.

I do appologize for being skeptical. I wish everyone the best when they are brave enough to start up a new project. To be fair, I may pledge at a lower level just to try it out. I don't want to be that "kid" who says he hates a type of food without even trying it!

• Like 2

I am skeptical of the "value rating" the Kickstarter page uses to answer the question of "Why Paintworks". The page merely says the alternatives were rated on a scale of 1-10 and declares Paintworks the "clear winner" with an average score of 9/10 but offers no explanation of how the scores were arrived at. It also declares Paintworks "stands above the other options in both price and quality" in spite of the fact that it costs at least 50% more per ounce than two of the other three options even if you accept the high prices the chart assigns to those options (over $10 for an ounce of miniature paint is simply not credible). A good part of the reason "house paint" is rated much lower is based on it being too thick and that issue is nonexistant if you follow the instructions on the Hirst Arts website for thinning latex wall paint with water.

I wanted to like this Kickstarter. Much my terrian efforts are plaster including dungeons, castles and other structures made using the Hirst Arts molds. While I am not unhappy with the painting instructions on the Hirst Art website, I do like the colors offered by Paintworks and it would be nice not to have to buy ten times as much paint as I need for a project. But, I will likely pass because the page so overstates the advantages of Paintworks paint compared to other paint alternatives that I find myself skeptical of the other claims regarding the paint. My other concern is I could find nothing on the page describing the finish of the paint and a couple of the photos look a bit glossy.

Edited by ferret
  • Like 2

I am skeptical of the "value rating" the Kickstarter page uses to answer the question of "Why Paintworks". The page merely says the alternatives were rated on a scale of 1-10 and declares Paintworks the "clear winner" with an average score of 9/10 but offers no explanation of how the scores were arrived at. It also declares Paintworks "stands above the other options in both price and quality" in spite of the fact that it costs at least 50% more per ounce than two of the other three options even if you accept the high prices the chart assigns to those options (over $10 for an ounce of miniature paint is simply not credible). A good part of the reason "house paint" is rated much lower is based on it being too thick and that issue is nonexistant if you follow the instructions on the Hirst Arts website for thinning latex wall paint with water.

I wanted to like this Kickstarter. Much my terrian efforts are plaster including dungeons, castles and other structures made using the Hirst Arts molds. While I am not unhappy with the painting instructions on the Hirst Art website, I do like the colors offered by Paintworks and it would be nice not to have to buy ten times as much paint as I need for a project. But, I will likely pass because the page so overstates the advantages of Paintworks paint compared to other paint alternatives that I find myself skeptical of the other claims regarding the paint. My other concern is I could find nothing on the page describing the finish of the paint and a couple of the photos look a bit glossy.

there's probably not a lot i can say if you're a full blooded skeptic. but yes, even though it costs more than craft or house paint, your money goes farther because of what PaintWorks offers as a whole that the others do not. the finish is also flat matte. when i took a picture of the pieces i had a bright fluorescent bulb inches away from it, but out of camera shot.

house paint received the low rating because you HAVE to follow instructions on changing it in order to make it useful. you can't just pop open a can and start painting. you need to thin it, find the right consistency, and the chances of getting the same consistency every time is near impossible. thinning house or craft paint can also alter the color. i'm very aware of the painting advice on the Hirst Arts site.

PaintWorks allows you to begin painting immediately without needing to thin it or change it in any way in order to make it functional. not needing to change the paint in order to use it, also ensures that the colors are going to match previously painted pieces every time.

as far as miniature paint prices being over $10 an ounce, this is absolutely correct.

citidel and vallejo are $4.00 to $4.25 for 12 ml.

it take ~2.5 bottles of miniature paint to = 1 oz.

this works out to $10 to $10.63 per oz.

that doesn't include the price of paying for a full 3rd bottle of miniature paint. otherwise it would be $12 to $12.75 in order to get that full ounce. i'm not trying to fudge numbers in order to make things look good in my favor.

i'm sorry you disagree with the chart, but it was the best way for me to convey the aspects of why the paint formula i have is better and different than what else is currently available on the market. i tried to come up with as much information as i could for the chart, but you can't think of everything ;)

it's unfortunate that you're passing on the Kickstarter. if you tested it out for yourself, i'm sure your opinion would definitely change for the better. i am possibly the longest following member of the HA forum and i do have a good reputation that i would like to keep in good standing. i would not be offering this product if it was anything less than above average satisfaction.

Very interesting project but I'm not sure that it would be practical for me.

I do a lot of terrain for my gaming group and am one of those guys who bought a lot of Dwarve Forge in their KS. My concern with hobby centric products is that, in many cases, the same or similar product can be found outside our niche market. I get skeptical when something is presented as "specially designed".

The other aspect for me is that my current terrain supply (the Americana brand hobby paints - I like their pigment density, duribility and variety of colours) is available locally. So, if I run out in the middle of a project, I can pop down to the local store to get it.

I do appologize for being skeptical. I wish everyone the best when they are brave enough to start up a new project. To be fair, I may pledge at a lower level just to try it out. I don't want to be that "kid" who says he hates a type of food without even trying it!

it's understandable to be skeptical. there's nothing wrong with that ;)

but yes, it actually was "specially designed" for use with terrain. to the best of my ability with assistance from a friend of the family in the paint industry, i was able to have a paint formula created that took as much of what i considered the best aspects of everything on the market and none of what i disliked about them, turned it into one super awesome uber paint product ^_^ actually that's not entirely true. i wasn't able to get the mix as thin as i wanted without compromising on being able to do the "one coat" covering what's under it, but i did find a happy medium that i am pleased with, as a painter.

I almost bought into this, having backed the Dwarven Forge KS heavily; however, I then realized that Dwarven Forge comes in dark grey and would not need the big tub of base coat, just the other two in each pack. You might want to consider having a Dwarven Forge backer option supplying just the highlight colors. There were more than 5,000 people who were in on that project and you could pick up piggy back sales. As it is, I'd be better off with some other source of highlight colors.

• Like 2

Can we stack the pledge levels (for example, 1 of the set of 1 each, plus, a couple additional gothic stone dungeon and cavern) by pledging the total of all of them?

absolutely. when the pledge manager goes out, you'll be able to specify how your pledge amount is spent.

I almost bought into this, having backed the Dwarven Forge KS heavily; however, I then realized that Dwarven Forge comes in dark grey and would not need the big tub of base coat, just the other two in each pack. You might want to consider having a Dwarven Forge backer option supplying just the highlight colors. There were more than 5,000 people who were in on that project and you could pick up piggy back sales. As it is, I'd be better off with some other source of highlight colors.

the reason i don't offer the colors individually, is because they all work together and build off of each other to create a finished look.

the color tint added to the casting material can vary with each production run. the base coat of PaintWorks ensures that there is uniformity in the look and feel of the finished piece. the main benefit from the casting material being tinted is if the paint job gets damaged or if the piece itself chips, the damage itself won't be as noticeable if it was a pure white casting underneath.