Taking paint on a plane?

Slendertroll

More of a paint question than a painting question, but here goes

So I'm flying back to school tomorrow, and I was hoping to take my painting stuff with me. I'm checking at least one bag, so it's not an issue of having space in my carry-on. However, I am worried about the pressure changes. Is there anything I need to do to ensure my paints don't explode or leak in transit? That sounds like a very good way to ruin both my paint collection and whatever else is in the bag with them.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never tried this, but I think you could ease the pressure on the paint bottles a bit by opening them, squeezing a little air out of them slightly while upright, and screwing the cap back on while they are slightly squeezed.

This should give you a little room for expansion with less risk of explosion.

You could also place them in individual ziplock baggies, or maybe by threes or fours if you have a lot of colors.

Good luck.

• Like 2

I'd say no, think about how you get your paints in the first place when you order them. UPS or FedEx all use planes to get items from all over the country and the paints don't explode on the way to your front door or that of the FLGS that orders them.

I heartily second Pingo's suggestion. I've done this for nearly every plane trip I've had with all my shower stuff bottles and liquid makeup, and it does the trick. The two times I neglected to do this, I ended up with shampoo exploded all over my suitcase on one occasion, and nail polish remover on the second (thank GOODNESS the polish remover was in a separate baggie). Bagging them individually or in groups of two to three is also a good idea, as if anything were to happen, everything doesn't get covered in paint.

Good luck with both paint transportation and school!! ::):

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

If you're flying to a higher altitude (or buying paints bottled in Denton for use in, say, Colorado), make sure you set your paints down upright and leave them for a bit before opening them for the first time. If you don't, you can get a paint spurt the first time, and it's guaranteed to be a color that contrasts really well with whatever it lands on.

You're welcome to speculate on how I know this. ^_^

• Like 5

I've flown multiple times with paints and not had a problem. Make sure the caps are tight and if you are paranoid bag them (I have in the past). I usually have them in a case in my checked luggage and they have survived international flights and many plane changes with no issues. I always make sure to bag my toiletries but that is because they have flip top lids that pop open more easily than the Reaper paint bottles.

• Like 2

I've flown with paints many times. With the caps securely screwed on, I've not had any problems even going over the Atlantic.

Only issues that I've had is going from sea level to a much higher elevation (like Colorado). I'd probably have had the same issues had I driven.

Ron

Ah, yes, forgot to mention that. MAKE SURE THE PAINT IS IN YOUR CHECKED LUGGAGE. Trust me, you don't want to have to stand there and watch as a TSA person throws away all of your paints in front of you. That happened to me with a brand new, extra large bottle of expensive lotion, and it wasn't fun. :(

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Just came home after a long flight (14+ hours) and the paints survived without problems. The only precaution I took was to store paints in a rigid bag (or at least a rigid container within the bag). Rough handling by the baggage people can be as problematic as the low pressure. I had MSP and P3.

• Like 1