Cassu

Tutorial: basing Reaper Bones and pinning

Nice work. Clear and concise and the picture quality is great.

I was actually a little concerned that the bones material might not take too well to dremeling (is that even a word?) but evidently that's not something I should be concerned about.

Thanks for the tutorial and keep them coming! ^_^

Have you tried heating an actual pin and sliding it into the figure? That seems like it might be the easiest way to go, rather than drilling, since the material is so soft.

• Like 2

So far I've had good results just using a flexible glue and no pin. Selley's Ultra Repair.

But for the rest, I can attest to the fact that Bones cuts like butter, or a cheddar cheese...

• Like 2

I'm still new to the World of minis and mini painting and basing myself, and this is just things I've learned through tinkering and looking at things other people have done.

Hey, even though you're new, I've been doing this forever and it's exactly how I do it, except I use magic sculpt instead of greenstuff, otherwise it's the same sound technique.

Loving the bones material because it's so easy to cut and drill, makes the task of pinning much less of a chore than the metal versions of these minis. Good clear tutorial and I'm sure people will get a lot of mileage from seeing how it's done the right way. Bonesium is so easy to drill and carve that it's always worth it just to take that extra couple of minutes and get that hole drilled for the base for sure. Permanent solid attachment, no fuss.

• Like 3

Just in case I sounded dismissive, this is a great tutorial and thorough enough for cross-application to metals IMO. I'd expect a bones model attached this way to be PERMANENT. My comment above is just a quick note for people thinking "but isn't there another way? I have 60 Orcs to rebase for wargaming on Saturday night! And it's Saturday lunchtime!"

This was a fantastic sample of exactly my questions when it came to basing. I thank you! I know have some fundamental grounds to move in to basing and using my imagination.

This was a fantastic sample of exactly my questions when it came to basing. I thank you! I know have some fundamental grounds to move in to basing and using my imagination.

Hey. You. You get outta here. What, are they letting ANYONE join these forums now?

Really though, Cassu, this is fantastic. A very concise and easy to follow guide to some of the basics of basing!

Edited by Baugi

Old thread, but I've gotten away with a push-pin to create a "seed" hole in the Bones, shoving in bent paper clip wire, then cutting off the wire. (The end will be sharp, like a chisel.)

I then stuck the figure into a cork base. Cork, of course, doesn't need drilling, either.

Still, this tutorial will work for *all* miniatures, and I'll also use it to repair my metal mini whose legs were broken in half at the kneecaps. Grr. :D

• Like 1

Old thread, but I've gotten away with a push-pin to create a "seed" hole in the Bones, shoving in bent paper clip wire, then cutting off the wire. (The end will be sharp, like a chisel.) 

I then stuck the figure into a cork base. Cork, of course, doesn't need drilling, either.

Still, this tutorial will work for *all* miniatures, and I'll also use it to repair my metal mini whose legs were broken in half at the kneecaps. Grr. :D

I'd still drill most of my bones since I've got a knack for jabbing myself whenever I try to strong-arm anything sharp.

• Like 1

Great tutorial ^_^ I'm glad I'm not the only one using a rock for texture :lol: Though, I just started using one of the little sand paper rolls that came with my dremel too. Those are very handy for texture. ^_^