New LTPK or New Paints?

Hey guys,

I've bought LTPK1 and 2, and have Paint Set 1 from the Kickstarter. I've really appreciated how they've filled out my selection of paint for cheap while simultaneously providing lessons. My current dilemma is whether to purchase LTPK4 next, LTPK5, or just expand my paint range. It seems it really boils down to how useful the instructions are.

I would eventually like to learn from all LTPKs, but purchasing LTPK4 contains a lot of repeat paints. The only new colours in LTPK4 are Brown Liner, Blue Liner, Tanned Highlight and Tanned Shadow. Of the other 6 colours, I already have 2 Sun Yellow, 2 Sapphire Blue and 2 Blood Red (with LTPK4 I would have 3!), and I have singles of Ruddy Leather, Tanned Skin, Oiled Leather and Linen White (with LTPK4 I would have 2 of each). The $28 CAD for the kit doesn't seem justifiable when I'm only getting 4 new paints. The minis are superfluous, as I have 250 Bones, and I have 7 brushes or so. It would be awesome to buy a PDF of the instruction pamphlet and then just follow the instructions on some of my Bones, but alas Reaper doesn't release them.

Similarly, LTPK5 also has quite a few repeats (Rosy Skin, Walnut Brown, Pure White, Oiled Leather, Ruddy Leather, Antique Gold). Again, the kit really diminishes when you're getting a lot of paint that you don't want or need.

My question for Reaperites is: How much are those instructions worth? I'd much rather just purchase them directly for $5-7 or so rather than adding to my pile of extra paints. Given that I can't, I have to justify $28 for the kits.

The last course of action that I have is to just use that money to buy paints directly. What is your advice oh great sages of miniature painting?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd suggest that you look up some of the instructions from other sources for what goes on in the kits if you don't want the extra paints that the kits themselves provide and then go to the reaper store and buy some of the triads (such as the skin tone triads) to expand upon your paint selections.

LTPK 4 teaches how to paint skin tones, which you can find write-ups about on the forums here and other places on the interwebs.

LTPK 5 teaches how to paint armor, again you can look through the forums here, do a Google search, and check out YouTube to find instructions on painting armor.

• Like 1

You're prolly better off getting LTPK 5 and those four paints you don't have separately, instead of buying kit 4. It's basically a guide to using triads for skin tone, and if you've done Kit 2 already you're well on your way.

I would recommend those four colours when you get a chance, though, as they are useful.

Thanks!

You're prolly better off getting LTPK 5 and those four paints you don't have separately, instead of buying kit 4. It's basically a guide to using triads for skin tone, and if you've done Kit 2 already you're well on your way.

I would recommend those four colours when you get a chance, though, as they are useful.

LTPK2 does a decent job of showing you how to mix your own Tanned Shadow and Tanned Highlight, so I'll probably pass on Kit 4 in this case.

Truth be told, at this point, you'd be better off spending your money on this (Anne and Jen DVD) and then just adding the few paints you want. You'll get a lot more for your money and have a resource that you will be referring to for years.

I hadn't given DVDs a thought. I might wait a bit though on those, since I recall various mumblings about doing LTPKs with DVDs included...

In the meanwhile, I'll just buy some new paints