catdancer

Mushroom Garden of Fae...Fantasy Vignette

post-11942-0-91813000-1377632609_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-69359500-1377632515_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-00730400-1377632411_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-54457100-1377632315_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-16197500-1377632221_thumb.jpgpost-11942-0-10612700-1377632118_thumb.jpg

VIGNETTE TITLE...The Mushroom Garden of Fae

FIGURE...Reaper Nymph # 02741 (Set)...

NOTE...I just finished this vignette piece for my wife as an anniversary gift (our 45th) for her china cabinet. Except for the miniature figure; the entire vignette is scratch built. Since it is a display piece for my wife...the vignette was finished in a high gloss protective spray...the wooden base was sprayed with Minwax High Gloss Polycrylic Spray (used to protect wood)...and the scene was sprayed with Duncan High Gloss Ceramic Spray (used for porcelain figurines).

The miniature was painted as a blue Sylph (an enchantress creature/character akin to the Dryad & Selkie)...and this is her enchanted mushroom garden. I did not add the pixies, nixies and sprites that usually surround her nor the will-o-the-wisps that are usually found in her area...I wanted to keep the vignette simple.

I hope the true natural enchantment fantasy buffs out there like this piece...it gave me a warm loving feeling building this little piece.

• Like 18

It has a very "Ozlike" or "Wonderland" feel about it.

Well done as usual Catdancer! ::):

Thank you Darsc! You are the first group member who has picked up on my fantasy style for pieces like this...I try very hard to convey my fantasy art vision/execution in the style and feeling of Disney like pieces...be it Oz...Wonderland...Snow White...Sleeping Beauty...Red Riding Hood...etc. Your comment has affirmed that I am somewhat successful in this effort.

Very NIce!

and it is also nice to know other people paint up vignettes and figs for the ir SigOthers!!

(currently working on a Victorian SciFi fig for the wife)

Chris

• Like 1

Very NIce!

and it is also nice to know other people paint up vignettes and figs for the ir SigOthers!!

(currently working on a Victorian SciFi fig for the wife)

Chris

Thank you for your comment Chris. I see that you are a new member...If you have not been welcomed by others; I want to welcome you to this outstanding site filled with hundreds of very friendly and helpful members. Hope to see your work(s) posted in the near future. I am also a somewhat newbie (joined about 4 months ago) and have really enjoyed being part of such a great organization.

congrats on the anniversary, its a shame more dont make it that far... Im sure she will love it :)

• Like 1

I was definitely on the Wonderland side. That red mushroom cries out for a large pothead caterpillar.

Thank you Darsc! You are the first group member who has picked up on my fantasy style for pieces like this...I try very hard to convey my fantasy art vision/execution in the style and feeling of Disney like pieces...be it Oz...Wonderland...Snow White...Sleeping Beauty...Red Riding Hood...etc. Your comment has affirmed that I am somewhat successful in this effort.

It's noticeable if not oft mentioned. Your other side seems more influenced by Normal Rockwell which I can appreciate as well. Do you make many science fiction pieces and if not which sci-fi style would you consider?

• Like 1

I was definitely on the Wonderland side. That red mushroom cries out for a large pothead caterpillar.

It's noticeable if not oft mentioned. Your other side seems more influenced by Normal Rockwell which I can appreciate as well. Do you make many science fiction pieces and if not which sci-fi style would you consider?

In reply to some very nice comments. Caterpiller...I actually had an inch long fat body greenish/yellow caterpiller designed for that mushroom, but decided not to include it due to the fact that it would take the eyes off the figure and distract from the central focus (that is why I did not add the pixies, nixies and sprites...Norman Rockwell...My non-fantasy works are greatly influenced by this artist...to me, his time and art depict a life in our great country that is forever gone...a time when everything was much more simple and things made common sense...SCI-FI...I do very little in the area of science-fiction due to the fact that it really has no appeal to me...although I do like the " steampunk genre "...and I have considered doing some work in the area based upon the John Carter & Warlord Of Mars...but have never been able to secure any miniature figures that would be appropriate...I am still looking.

SCI-FI...I do very little in the area of science-fiction due to the fact that it really has no appeal to me...although I do like the " steampunk genre "...and I have considered doing some work in the area based upon the John Carter & Warlord Of Mars...but have never been able to secure any miniature figures that would be appropriate...I am still looking.

The line of minis that cover John Carter and Mars uses the locals name for the planet, Barsoom. Search for "Barsoom Minis" and you'll see what is around.

The recent movie sparked some other representations as well.

Check out:

John Carter & Warlord Of Mars

That said, I kind of thought old school Buck Rogers or Flash Gordon style would be a nice mix that would appeal to you and only be a slight change from your style.

Edited by Thrym
  • Like 1