Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Artists

My husband signed up for the subscription, so was able to pick up our copy plus the extra character deck at Gen Con. He really likes it, I would say is bordering on obsessed with it, and most of the people we've played it with so far like it quite a bit, too. (Our board game group has some hardcore Euro players in it, and I'm not sure it's a huge hit with them, but I also wouldn't expect it to be.) It scales to the number of players by having more or fewer locations you have to search through to find the villains and henchmen you need to deal with to complete the scenario goals. I haven't played it solo yet, but I think it would work pretty well because of the scaling. The one thing you'd lose is that other characters can use blessings and a small number of other cards to assist the active character. There may be a mechanic related to this for solo games, but when I asked me husband about differences he didn't mention anything like that. You could also control two or three characters if you felt you needed more of a mix of abilities and to have the blessing assistance as you would in a multi-player game.

While we're pretty early on in the story, it does seem to have captured a bit of a campaign feel pretty well. You'll be able to swap out a few cards after every play so your deck will evolve, and then every few scenarios your character gains an improvement of some kind (keep more cards, or be able to use different cards, stuff like that). Your card deck is also your life meter, so there's a nice tension between do you want to play a card to get its benefits or need to keep it for later. There's a mechanic to be able to put things at the bottom of your deck instead of discarding them, or to gain some card uses by just having the card in your hand, so those kinds of cards become more valuable and desirable.

If you'd like links to some videos that run through how to play the game and show you some sample play, I can ask my husband for links, he's been watching a bunch of them.

• Like 1

Cool, thanks! Seems the few people I know who picked it up are too busy playing to comment, so I count that as a good thing.

Brought this up on my other forum and seems most co-op games lend themselves to solo play if you don't mind a bit of extra juggling.

I just got a nice chunk of amazon credit (yay funneling all outlays through my rewards card!) so I was planning on picking it up there...but what is this subscription though dost speak of?

• Artists

Paizo has subscriptions for a few of their product lines. For the card game, you sign up and they send you the main game set, and then every two months they will send out the next set in the adventure path. So you get all the stuff without having to remember when release dates are or worry about it selling out. I believe you can cancel whenever you like if you try it and stop playing or don't like it. I also believe there is a discount for subscribers, though I do not know if it is the same as the discount Amazon is offering.

I think they have had subscriptions running for a while for other products like the RPG story paths, so they're not new to fulfilling the subscription model of sales.

• Like 1

We have good news! We're able to get this part of your order to you faster than we originally promised:

Selinker, Mike "Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords Character Add-On Deck"

Previous estimated arrival date: September 19, 2013

New estimated arrival date: September 10, 2013

Selinker, Mike "Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords Base Set"

Previous estimated arrival date: October 16, 2013 - November 05, 2013

New estimated arrival date: September 10, 2013

Yay! Basically free thanks to rewards card and Prime shipping!

• Like 1

n/m

So has anyone else played it? Is it really a card game, or is it just the rpg w/character sheets reprinted on playing cards? I looked at it last night and at least as far as the characters go, it just liked like a regurgitation of an RPG, requiring a bunch of different dice, and writing on the cards to track your character's leveling. I'd thought maybe it would be something that might interest my son, but I'm not exactly sure why I'd go w/that over the RPG (which he's not interested in).

Edited by Chrome

Thanks for the video Cash. I didn't get to watch it all, but long enough to get the basics. I think I'd enjoy it, but then remembered that I've got Myth coming in a couple of months that will fill the same itch, so I'm gonna pass.

It's too bad that they decided to make it so big and not make a smaller sized starter/demo pack. Like a single-player version w/just one quest for $15-20. I would have given that a try.

Played two scenarios last night (well, the same scenario twice). First time just with the fighter to learn the game basics and then with fighter+cleric. It's pretty simple to pick up, but flexible due to the modular design of having card rules trump. The second game I hardly had to reference the rules and it was a lot of fun chasing the villain around.

I'm no expert on gaming, but for a newb it's a great game. Maybe a little complex for a raw newb, but if you know basic rpg tropes (1d6+1, etc) it's straightforward. Looking forward to more adventures, and my two little newbler characters got a couple nice cards into their character decks.

Another cool thing is knowing who some of these Pathfinder minis are now :) ...and I'll have to paint some up for the game, of course... This is where Bones would be great, I could just toss them in the game box.

Edited by CashWiley
  • Like 2

I'm really all over the place with this game. I've never liked card games, but after a friend's recommendation and a couple days of Intarwebs research, Mage Wars has been an obsession for about a week. Which led to me finding this. I love old school D&D, Pathfinder was cool, but not 'all that'. The single-player mode of this intrigued me. The shining reviews everywhere nearly sold me. Watching the first half of the first Crits Happen play-through talked me out of it, the second half of that same video nearly talked me back in.

I'm so on the fence about this one..l

I broke down and bought this on Friday. Played 2 solo games that night and liked what I saw.

For those of you on the edge, I think that the game play is really nice, but the production value of the product leaves something to be desired. There are typos in the rulebook and cards, so they've had to make a ton of errata already. And this one may just be my copy, but the boxes' lid is so tight, that I can barely get it off and on. One side appears to be slightly warped, so it is an amazingly tight fit. I had to monkey with it for several minutes to get the box closed, and opening it required me to go back and forth between opposite corners, inching it open bit by bit. The contents are too light to let gravity open it for me.

I can live with that stuff though.