Sign in to follow this  
Mordarby

What do you put your mini on when painting it?

My local craft store (Hobby Lobby) sells these wooden decorations that are meant to be miniature flower pots. I turn these upside down and blue-tac my mini to the bottom. They make a good handle for my hand size.

I like wooden spools. I use poster tack or a little hot glue to secure them, but mostly poster tack. One of the guys who was at Reaper Con has a great method where he uses large prescription bottles with the reversible caps. When he's transporting the miniature he flips the cap and the mini is protected in the bottle.

That was me. Been doing that for ages.

• Like 3

I have never, ever, had a metal mini that would stay in place with tack and I've tried 4 different types. I don't know what sorcery you people use to do so.

The miniature is based on a plastic slota base first.

I only have luck with relatively light minis and blue tack, and even then they will generally fall off once. Bones I'll usually push off once or twice but it's less stressful than a metal mini. Some won't stay at all (the Dark Sword terrier) and I go back to my old method of supergluing them to the pot. But that means more cleanup and filing the bottom of a finished model, which I hate.

Pinning is really ideal and I'll probably just start pinning things even if they have an integral base.

Nice to see others are using soda bottle tops with tack also. I was shopping at Walmart this afternoon and saw the little 12 oz soda bottles and bought those today. They are shorter and fit in your hand perfectly. That's good for regular mini's. Now for larger mini's I went to their craft corner and they had these little 2x2 inch keepsake wooden boxes for $1.00 and a 2x4 inch for $2. So I got a couple of those to try out and see if they work.

post-8809-0-10966100-1377918664_thumb.jpg

Lots of stuff! Spools with poster tack, corks with poster tack, pill bottles with poster tack, or if I'm drill&pinning my mini, just sink the pins into a cork!

• Like 1

I just hot glue my miniatures to some extra plastic dividers from a parts box I bought years ago. They're just plastic sturdy squares about 1 3/4" on each side. They give me a stable base that is flexible enough to enable me to 'pop' finished pieces off when they're done. I tend to paint miniatures in batches of six to twelve, so prefer not to have any kind of handle on my miniatures - I'd be knocking everything over reaching across my bench trying to reach brushes, paints, etc.

The Egg

Reaper Pro Paint pots with poster tac and sometimes glue when all my tac is in use, I have a limited edition signed Michael Proctor Spool, with poster tack again. My dragons have been glued to tuna cans, old wood display bases, and wood blocks from the lumber bits around the house. It sorta depends on whether I am pinning something to a base or not. If not, then poster tack or glue (easy to crack and pry up with a hobby knife), but if pinning, I drill and pin into a wood block.

No matter what, you want something comfortable in your hand and big enough to hold the model.

I use blue tac, but it is difficult to clean off the bottoms if it's been there a while. I think I will try ultrasquid's double-sided foam tape idea.

I have been sticking my minis to baby food jars, which are low and squat, but a little wide (making it difficult to reach some areas), or McCormick spice jars, which are nicely bottom-heavy, or McCormick spice jar lids, which have a little height to them, or random little wooden blocks from my kids' old toy bins. I'm sure there are a few other things I've used as well.

Jess RIch used two-sided carpet tape for our class pieces (Bones attached to 1" wood cube); we have never been able to get the mini off...

-Dave

ETA: Not that I particularly care about removing the mini; it's kind of a nice display plinth. I'm just saying, double-sided carpet tape may be too strong. ;)

Edited by dispatchdave

My wife and I are ridiculous consumers of vitamins, and I discovered some time ago that the squat, fat bodies of empty vitamin containers work well for painting miniatures. If the mini has a base, then I just glue it to the cap of the vitamin jug with a bit of white glue. If it's a tab type, then just put it in a slot base, dab white glue on it to temporarily hold it in, and then white glue that base to the vitamin lid.

The white glue is strong enough to hold a miniature firmly onto the cap while painting, but pretty easily peels off when you are done and want to actually mount it on something.

I use scrap pieces of 1x2 (2 cm x 4 cm, close enough) lumber, about 6-8 inches (15-20 cm) long.

Advantages:

1) The length allows me to hold the wood with large muscles, so my fingers don't get tired.

2) I can rest the heel of my painting hand on the bottom end of the stick so that the only things moving my brush relative to the figure are my finger muscles, so I have more precision.

Disadvantage:

* It's harder to set the longer stick down or transport it than something like a paint pot.