Learning to paint from the L2PKs

falstius

Here is the leopard from "60020: Lini, Iconic Gnome Druid and Droogami, Snow Leopard" painted as a black panther.  His name is Sargent Mister and he's the Fey Panther companion to my pixie swordmage.  I used black primer followed by a coat of pure black, then highlights of ultramine shadow and a wash of imperial purple to give it some depth while looking very deep black.  I'm pretty happy with the result. My only problems with him were that some of the teeth aren't very well defined and it was hard to remove the flash line on his back without removing the texture of the fur too.

post-12645-0-51148300-1391816552.jpgpost-12645-0-53894500-1391816553_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

great Demon.

Although not sealing, i've painted a Bones mini with reaper paints. washed it and all...

Needed to seal it because the paint kept rubbing off.

Dark Elf Skin triad,,, maybe it;s the colours?

I like the elementals. As mentioned before, try to let the flames be white and yellow inside ( hot) then red and even black outside ( cooler)

Keep up the good work.

Thanks.  I actually have sealed most of my bones, but I've found that without sealing I don't see any degradation from one or two sessions. So I can see the figure in action and make any changes I want before sealing.  I tried to make the switch to a lighter inside fire with his fireball.  I have a ways to go on that but I do have 6 flame walls and 6 fire balls to paint up for practice!

Your basics look good.

Now you need to be brave and up the contrast (I still hate saying that...)

I didn't want to "highlight to white" since he's a demon in the abyss, but you're right that he needs more.  I think the best way to do it would be OSL from the fireball with highlights up to a light yellow.  I guess it is time to practice OSL more.

I haven't taken a picture yet, but since ObsidianCrane mentioned the highlighting I looked at Agramon again and realized that a lot of the dark parts weren't really standing out so I went back and added a quick glaze of walnut brown to all of the dark bony bits and he looks much better, definitely a hit at the gaming table Sunday. I like the idea of highlighting up to a yellow orange (marigold yellow probably) so I'll do some more with the highlights and shadows and post an updated picture soon.

Don't highlight brighter than Magma Red (Reaper colour) or you end up with orange not red. If you add a little Linen White to the Magma Red you can get a bright highlight and in the right balance you can do those zenith highlights.

Here are 2 different reds as examples;

post-7660-0-34399300-1392097978_thumb.jpg

The devil is looking better though. :)

• Like 1

Don't highlight brighter than Magma Red (Reaper colour) or you end up with orange not red. If you add a little Linen White to the Magma Red you can get a bright highlight and in the right balance you can do those zenith highlights …

I find red to be the hardest color to highlight. I went with orange because I was going for the reflected flames of his ball of hellfire. I think I'll keep Agramon as is for now and try your suggestion with some human figures on my wait list (the townsfolk from the ks vampire box).

• Like 1

With Agramon get some of that bright orange and mix it in with the colour on those little dark scales, then go through and pick out the top of the edge on those scales. I'd call him done after that (except maybe getting a darker tone on his very white claws). :)

Also Red, Yellow, Black and White are the hardest colours to highlight/shade. :)

Edited by ObsidianCrane

Agramon is still sitting around waiting for me to decide to tweak him some more, so here is 77113: Eldritch Demon (WIP). He's mostly olive green and forest green with imperial purple, sun yellow, and palamino gold used for various highlights.  The rings are ancient gold with a spot of new gold for a shiny look.

post-12645-0-75953600-1392585540_thumb.jpgpost-12645-0-38063800-1392585536_thumb.jpg

post-12645-0-20013600-1392585539_thumb.jpgpost-12645-0-74786000-1392585537_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Very nice!

He'll be great on the tabletop, and needs just a few washes to pull some detail out for a level up!

Thanks.  You're probably right, but I also need a decent camera set up.  The pictures look a lot more washed out on my laptop than they do in person.