Sign in to follow this  
Beagle

Your Kickstarter list. How you doing?

I'm also a shade concerned with Mierce. I've backed enough with them (almost every project) that I get their slow release schedule easily slips into years. I'm surprised they've managed to stay afloat this long on the backs of a few whales and the endless SALE EXTENDED nonsense, just a weird business model.

But most of the great sculptors are long gone and I've got stuff in the queue from 2016. Basically one guy digitally sculpts the bulk of the line now, and their concepting has gone from a dern Kopinski to someone who can't even complete a good digital drawing.

The digital guy (Bob) is a decent sculptor, at least, based on the few Jutes I've received that he did. But 5 years for a single mini is a bit much, even for me. At that rate, we'll be into our next Presidency by the time he gets around to the 2 unit host I backed in 2018.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CashWiley said:

I'm also a shade concerned with Mierce. I've backed enough with them (almost every project) that I get their slow release schedule easily slips into years. I'm surprised they've managed to stay afloat this long on the backs of a few whales and the endless SALE EXTENDED nonsense, just a weird business model.

But most of the great sculptors are long gone and I've got stuff in the queue from 2016. Basically one guy digitally sculpts the bulk of the line now, and their concepting has gone from a dern Kopinski to someone who can't even complete a good digital drawing.

The digital guy (Bob) is a decent sculptor, at least, based on the few Jutes I've received that he did. But 5 years for a single mini is a bit much, even for me. At that rate, we'll be into our next Presidency by the time he gets around to the 2 unit host I backed in 2018.

Yeah, I've pretty much given up on getting my remaining stuff from them (luckily it was only 3 minis).

Even though their Kickstarter progress was slow, they at least used to put new stuff out on a regular basis, now it just seems to be the occasional big, fancy monster.

• Like 1

I’d be especially concerned considering Mierce is run by the same guy that ran Maelstrom Games, which was basically operating a Ponzi scheme just before they closed.

• Like 2

Yeah, I still have A LOT of stuff outstanding from Mierce.  I did receive more in November though, so at least there is progress.  And some of the other stuff I requested in metal, so I know that slows things down even more.  But ultimately I think I'm done supporting them in the future.  There are plenty of good digital sculptors out there and I do have a resin printer that costs much less to operate.  I've actually considered asking Rob if they would simply provide stl files instead of the physical models and I'll call it good.

• Like 1

I’ve never backed anything by Mierce but I did get burned by Jody Siegel of Imbrian Arts so I sympathize. 

I’ve grown really concerned about a table-sized battle map that was due in the spring and the creator has repeatedly had issues trying to ship the product. They’ve posted pictures of the completed maps, but the global shipping picture isn’t improving any time soon. 

As such, I haven’t been backing as many Kickstarters over the past 6 months and don’t see my concerns abating any time soon. The cost of shipping from the EU has gotten so high that I don’t tend to back projects from that part of the world. 

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 3

lessee... 
As of right now... I've got 23 successful pledges, 1 still open, 3 pledges I canceled before it finished and 1 that the project was canceled.

of the successful ones, 17 have finished fulfilment or at least the parts that I backed for are fulfiled. (or 2 I just threw in a no reward on)

I still have open 

Battletech: Clan Invasion - I was in for a buck but talked myself out of going in more, so I guess I have what I want from this one too

Bones 5 - well we know where this one is.

Skies of Sordane - Partially fulfilled, still a bit to go.

Jon Wrot games mystery dice - In development (Estimated Fulfilling in May)

Oroboros Cyber City - In Development

The Ancestors Tenjin - In development

• Like 1

TLDR:

Backed: 281

Projects Delivered: 244

Projects Soon to Deliver: 5

Projects Still in Development: 21

Projects in Eternal Development: 1 (KDM:1.5)

Projects Running Late: 16

Unsuccessful Projects: 8

Projects Late, Effectively Dead: 3

Dead/Scam Projects: 7

• Like 2

Terrain Essentials - received 1/14/21

Mammoth maps table mat (April 2020)

D&D Condition Rings Set - received 1/13/21

Creatures & Monsters (December 2020)

Blacklist Miniatures (December 2020)

Bones 5 (April 2021)

Throne Down Games (April 2021)

Immersive Battle Atlas (April 2021)

Wildlands by Dwarven Forge (June 2021)

The Book of Collected Rumors (June 2021)

Monster Scenery: Ice Wilds (July 2021)

Dungeon & Lasers 2nd Edition (August 2021)

Backed: 68

Delivered: 56

Dead: 2

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 2

Backed, no delay yet: 

The Wandering Village (Video Game)

Elixer Dice

Reaper Miniatures Bones 5

Beasts of Mesozoic action figures (first wave figures delivered)

Delayed:

Jim Hensons busts

Book of Travels (Video Game)

Away (video game)

Prehistoric Kingdom

Probably never delivering:

Dino run 2 (Video game)

Prehistoric Skulls and Skeleton brass (very sad about this one, his first KS delivered no problem but went too overboard on this one)

• Like 2

In summary:

Backed: 74

Delivered: 67

Delivered in part (but ultimately failed): 2

Failed/scam: 1

Late: 3

Not at delivery date yet: 1

The ones I'm waiting on are Gangfight skirmish system, which gods knows where that is up to, at last count they were trying to finalise printing; Secret Weapon HD bases, which I'm not expecting to be an issue, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get what I planned; Desert of the Dead, which is shipping and Bones V.

More recently I've been backing STLs because I just can't justify postage costs to AU. 

• Like 2

I’ve been lamenting shipping costs here in the US as well; it’s all but convinced me that I need a 3d printer, and if that happens, I’m sure I’ll mostly just back STL Kickstarter projects thereafter. 

• Like 1

38 bucks US shipping for my Massive Darkness all-in gameplay (plus dice and zombicide kit).

You'd think with unprecedented shipping globally, prices would actually come down due to volume.

edited to add: given the experience my purge of CMON packaging last year, the vast majority of what will likely be 2-3 large shipping boxes full of wasteful packaging will likely fit in the core game box. CMON has a serious packaging problem, which is becoming critical as shipping costs rise, even if you're not environmentally concerned.

• Like 3

You'd think with unprecedented shipping globally, prices would actually come down due to volume.

Demand has recently increased, on top of supply chain disruption.

Port Congestion: Many countries have responded to the pandemic by imposing lockdown or restricting movement. Some retailers and manufacturers fail to pick up their cargo and containers because their warehouses are full or closed. Some ports remain open but have reduced workforce, which exacerbates the cargo congestion. This causes disruption of the supply chain, including movement of essential goods and foodstuffs. The cargo lying uncollected at ports creates congestion and takes up space, reducing capacity for incoming cargo and containers. Some ports have taken the precaution to declare ‘force majeure’ to pre-empt claims and legal liability. The closure of ports and port congestion have caused disruptions in the supply chain and import and exports.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/editorials/the-impact-of-the-covid-19-pandemic-on-shipping

The widening impact COVID-19 is having on retail and manufacturing demand is creating the need for two importing speeds. Cargo owners such as apparel and automotive importers want to delay receiving goods for now-closed brick-and-mortar stores and production lines, whereas importers shipping personal protective equipment (PPE) and essential household consumer goods want them faster. : https://www.joc.com/special-topics/coronavirus-effect-supply-chains

The cost of importing containers filled with consumer goods from Asia into the UK has reached a record high after a surge in demand in the weeks before Christmas and the UK’s exit from the EU. https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/brexit-and-covid-blamed-as-asia-uk-shipping-rates-increase-fourfold/

And, for those who have been following toilet paper... " In short, the toilet paper industry is split into two, largely separate markets: commercial and consumer. The pandemic has shifted the lion’s share of demand to the latter. People actually do need to buy significantly more toilet paper during the pandemic — not because they’re making more trips to the bathroom, but because they’re making more of them at home. With some 75% of the U.S. population under stay-at-home orders, Americans are no longer using the restrooms at their workplace, in schools, at restaurants, at hotels, or in airports.

Georgia-Pacific, a leading toilet paper manufacturer based in Atlanta, estimates that the average household will use 40 percent more toilet paper than usual if all of its members are staying home around the clock. That’s a huge leap in demand for a product whose supply chain is predicated on the assumption that demand is essentially constant. It’s one that won’t fully subside even when people stop hoarding or panic-buying. https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/04/03/toilet-paper-shortage-explained-supply-chains/

> CMON packaging last year

Insert trays I've found useful for storing painted miniatures. Less bulky and no need to buy more storage. (Not that I'm anywhere near painting my CMON mini's... :wacko: