[Group/Open] 77125-77130 Vermin

Dungeon staples. Rats, Beetles, Scorpions and swarms thereof.

I'm fairly happy with my Rat Swarm (nearly done here).

Basecoated with Intense Brown. I intentionally only basecoated a singly layer, because it looked really patchy and ugly, perfect for rats. Once I basecoated, I discovered that there's actually a little skull hiding in there!

Then painted 1:1 mix of Pure White and Pure Black (aka Rainy Grey) around the whole outside. Skull was painted Linen White, and then I blasted the whole bit with a wash of Walnut Brown.

Picked out details like ears, noses and tails with Tanned skin. I may go back and highlight the fur with Oiled Leather, but I think this looks pretty nice.

post-8272-0-92567800-1378184889.jpg

I've begun work on my Spider Swarm next, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Basecoated Walnut Brown, then drybrushed with Muddy Brown, then drybrushed with 2:1 Pure Black to Pure White. I like the colour now (it's a bit browner in reality), but I don't like that the spiders don't really stand out. I'm not sure how to separate the spiders from the background. Any ideas?

post-8272-0-26506100-1378183988.jpg

* Edit: Removed crappy cellphone pictures, replaced with real camera photos.

Edited by unidentifiable
  • Like 6

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I guess I dug myself out of this one. I paced around the room, and since I couldn't make Black stand out from Black, that meant that I needed to either make the ground a different color (not feasible without re-painting everything) or I needed to make my spiders grey.

Fine. Grey spiders. I can handle that.

So I fixed my problem by highlighting even further. I went from a Rainy Grey (50%) highlight to a 25% Grey in 3 steps with progressive layers (always 2 water to 1 paint). As a note of interest, the Pure White does not sit in suspension with Pure Black (the white tends to sink). My grey was consistently requiring remixed to be properly blended. I can see why Buglips prefers to have Rainy Grey around as an actual bonafide paint.

So once highlighted thusly, I went back and did a 2 layers of Blood Red to give the spiders some character. I striped them as a knock-off of some fantasy-esque version of a Black Widow. I didn't want the stripes to be very bright and harsh though (I thought it may look too cartoony) which prevented me from just using the red straight out of the bottle. If I was thinking, I would have laid down some white first to make the colour pop a bit. I will try that for the next swarm.

Once striped (took an hour for the whole swarm) I dotted the eyes with pure Linen White, then with Sun Yellow to make them pop and be...y'know, spidery. Then I layered a stripe of Linen White on the big spider to make him stand out even more as "da boss".

This guy's probably done now! I'm very happy with him. (them?) I'll work on my next spider swarm (which was unfortunately already also primed black, so I can't have black spiders yet again).

Lesson Learned: If you want Black spiders, you'll need to base in Brown, or Grey. Dark Green probably works too.

post-8272-0-52655500-1378269567.jpg

post-8272-0-33979900-1378269579.jpg

• Like 2

lets see I have pictures -

First I have beetle swarms. I had trouble with black on black painting too, so I thumbed through images of beetles on Google image search and found some with lovely yellow dots. I can do those! .. well kinda I guess they will do.

the metallic blue beetle was from the same kind of image search.

post-12081-0-43011300-1373409359_thumb.jpg
This swarm of spiders was actually painted to play as a swarm of crawling claws. so flesh tones. Im happy with the result. I painted some of the larger spider bodies as skulls.
post-12081-0-53386200-1369930952_thumb.jpg
I recommend minimalism on the rats. Giant Lab rats are adorable, and easy.
post-12081-0-87933200-1368802527_thumb.jpg
Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 5

Basecoated with Intense Brown. I intentionally only basecoated a singly layer, because it looked really patchy and ugly, perfect for rats. Once I basecoated, I discovered that there's actually a little skull hiding in there!

There's a skull on the rat base? Ohh I didn't spot that better go back and have another look.

Holy goodness, THAT'S what that is. I could not figure out what was going on there. It sorta looks mouseish, but then... not.

This. Changes. EVERYTHING.

Okay, paint fans. First up: More Rats! Woo! (ahem)

P1040647.JPG

Wife continues to be miffed by my seeming obsession with squirming vermin. Can she not see the inherent beauty here?

Anyway, these are pretty straightforward:

Base: 9086 Stone Grey
Base Coat: 9028 Muddy Brown
Separate rats: 9289 Noir Black or 9249 Sandy Brown
Skull: 9031 Tanned Leather
Wash: 9255 Black Wash, thinned quite a bit
Skull highlights: 9031 Tanned Leather
More Skull highlights: 9031 Tanned Leather + 9143 Yellowed Bone
Drybrushed highlights: 9086 Stone Grey (black), 9031 Tanned Leather + 9249 Sandy Brown (lt brn), 9028 Muddy Brown + 9249 Sandy Brown (dk brn)
Eyes: 9037 Pure Black

9107 Brush-on Sealer

Honestly, this sculpt was kind of a pain in the butt. I had a hard time picking out all of the details (oh, that's a SKULL!) and the overlapping tails were no fun. Good practice I suppose.

I think they turned out okay.

• Like 2

Next up, and not as successful, a couple of fire beetles:

P1040648.JPG

I really need to get better at layering. I tried a ham-fisted version of OSL on the backside. It's not great.

Also, I tried to do some OSL stuff on the wings, where the light from their fire guts would shine through the gap:

P1040640.JPG

... yeah. So I just covered all of that up. Learning!

Base: 9289 Noir Black
Base Coat: 9028 Muddy Brown
Wash: 9255 Black Wash, thinned quite a bit
Fire butt: 9217 Magma Red
Base Highlights: drybrushed 9086 Stone Grey
Buggy Highlights: 3:2 9028 Muddy Brown + 9249 Sandy Brown
Buggy Highlights 2: 3:4 9028 Muddy Brown + 9249 Sandy Brown
Fire butt, 2nd coat: 9217 Magma Red, then 9247 Saffron Sunset drybrush
Spots: 9008 Sun Yellow, 9247 Saffron Sunset, 9218 Lava Orange
Eyes: 9247 Saffron Sunset
Wing glow: 9247 Saffron Sunset wash, 9218 Lava Orange wash (then overpainted because it was terrible)
Back glow: 9218 Lava Orange drybrush, then 9217 Magma Red drybrush
Wings Try 2 Base Coat: 9028 Muddy Brown, three layers 9028 Muddy Brown + 9249 Sandy Brown increasing SB each layer

9107 Brush-on Sealer