Sign in to follow this  
misterc

Dark Judges

Hi all, MrC's son here, recently got the Dark Judges from the Judge Dredd kickstarter (at last!) and really digging the sculpts, especially fire. Trouble is the detail on Fire is beyond what I've dealt with previously, and I haven't ever painted a mini that's 'on fire' per se... so does anyone have any advice on painting flames?

Included are a few photos of the judges. Any C&C on the rest will be appreciated.

post-10378-0-64583900-1378286507_thumb.jpg

post-10378-0-84873400-1378286576_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

http://hot-lead.org/advance/fire.htm

Very good fire tutorial, but I find it ends up a bit too white. The temperature of the flame should dictate how you paint it, but for torch-light or campfires I've always been partial to having a little bit of black glazed on the upper-most tips, and a more yellow-white near the base. I'm not sure what temperature Guy-Who-Is-Literally-Fire should be.

Here's a few more tutorials:

http://blog.brushthralls.com/?page_id=3983

http://miniaturemistress.deviantart.com/art/Painting-Fire-on-Miniatures-Tutorial-376363283

Moving pictures:

• Like 1

@unidentifiable,

Thanks, I have on occasion painted fire, e.g. torches, but never something of this magnitude. When I next get chance I might try painting one of my practice figures (Halo Actionclix, got a bundle cheap on eBay) with the techniques shown and then when I feel ready give it my best shot. Just not near any schools......

@Cash,

I know, if the judges had arrived on time I would be singing Mongoose's praise from here to Timbuktu but alas they were the latest to arrive Kickstarter I've backed thus far (about 10 months all told) and there was a distinct lack of communication. But every time I start to feel frustrated, I just look at ol' firey and think "I can't stay mad at you"

When Mongoose make this available for general release, I'll let you all know :;):

(Dad here) actually just short of 11 months to wait, but very little in the way of information, made Reaper seem excellent in their communication.

Edited by misterc
  • Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this