Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Oh, man! This one I'm really happy with. I watched yet another video where someone did a griffon nearly all dry brushed and thought since I had problems doing wings a while back, I could try it. I did and am shocked with the results!
* Using a tri-color system to lighten things up strategically picking out colors ahead and setting them aside.
* Sticking to a plan helped address speed and order of operations.
* Using new dry brush make-up brush has SIGNIFICANTLY increased my ability with the method. I'd sucked at dry brushing - could be due to either pressure or paint application, but either way it worked awesome this time.
* No washes.
* No inks.
* Really only used a 2nd brush to hit the highlights on beak, eyes, and claws.
* Finally got to utilize a reference book I snagged for cheap at B&N for birds.
* @Darcstaar I also utilized your method for claws after you mentioned it. I LOVE IT! Thank you for the combo.
* I somewhat botched one of the eyes - the left. It's not perfectly centered in the yellow circle. I was also having a hard time thinking how far I should push the yellow. Not super noticiable, but I know it's there.
* White/fur/feather area near the head feels a little off, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I am still happy with the results, but something in that transition seems off.
* The fur on the lion body was originally higher volume in cream color, but I dialed it back. I think a much lighter color would do it good to help bring some brighter contrast in, but I chickened out before touching it up because I liked the work as it was. Wimped out.
* the bottom of the body is still darkly shaded due to how the dry brushing worked out, but I think it's still okay? Ish.
* I'm also panicked about doing the base because this easily just became one of my favorite pieces. I've got the basing materials setting up right now and drying -so I hope in the next few hours I get to post this in completed works and it looks rad!
Always open to feedback and love hearing it. As I mentioned, I use the comments to the fullest to make the most of my next one.
This week has been a week of experimentation. I tried my first NMM this week and my first attempt at actually shading hair rather than just dry brushing it like I have forever.
I still have free time, so I have been able to keep the production level up. My players will be starting a new adventure soon, and I need a whole new set of monsters. Oh gee, how sad, I have a
bunch of new minis that I "have to paint" (He says to his wife).
The week did not start out well. I was cleaning up the mold lines on this bones centaur (which are not conveniently placed) and I almost cut off his nose. This is not a figure that I was particularly excited about so I just slapped together a paint job and moved on. No fixing that nose. Tried to make the base pretty though.
Just like last week, I painted the bones brigands (one more set to go). These were intended more as practice faces and a little NMM on the guy on the left and the ax. I think it didn't come out too bad. and the faces are characterful. These guys will be the random ruffians/bandits that get thrown on the table now and then.
I had a little success with the face on this one. I also tried to do some shading on the hair. Only after I started did I read that black hair is actually a little tricky to highlight. This was a start.
I planned on NMM here but chickened out and moved on.
Nalani, Dancing girl
Working on skin tones and hair highlights on this one too. The metallics here are so small that I didn't even try NMM. I feel like the highlighting on the hair and the dress came out well.
Nemesra, Dancing girl
This one was an attempt at translucent clothing on the legs.
Townsfolk V Grandmother
The face came out as surprise, but that works for me.
Just a fun figure to paint.
Here is the owl knight from Hit Point Press's Humblewood setting. This one is the best of this week I think and he's also adorable. Big shout out to Wickedshifty who I copied for this mini. They did the NMM that I wanted to try and did it so well that I had to copy it just for practice. The front came out good, but the helmet on the back is not quite right. This has given me some confidence for more experimentation. I will probably look around for a mini that is really shiny to try it out on.
I doubt that I can keep this level of production up as I am trying to push my level of painting up a bit. But I am making a big dent in my pile of mini's. Let's see what happens next week.
Who's Online 13 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)