I've just started painting, so I thought I'd post things I'm working on and hopefully get some hints on where to go next.

First up are some Bones Goblins. My two goals for this are to develop better contrast and tweak my techniques so that painting goes more quickly. I started with a base coat of walnut brown for 3 and blacked brown for the other 3. I'd definitely do them all in walnut brown if I had it to do again. Then I put down a base coat of olive green for the skin. The metals are true silver mixed with true black or mahogany brown.

post-12645-0-88660300-1378304525_thumb.jpg

Then I put on either oiled leather or ruddy leather for the leathers and made various color hats (for tracking which is which when gaming)

post-12645-0-25788300-1378304524_thumb.jpg

The next steps will be to finish base coating the cloth bits and the various accessories and then blending to add shadows and highlights to the skin, leathers and hats. I'll probably had some pure metal highlights to the metal bits too, they don't stand out as well as I'd like.

Edited by falstius
  • Like 10
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used an olive for my orc skintone and really liked it- the shading colors I used were teal and a cream for the highlight if that helps!

Yes, that does help! I'm mostly working with the paints in L2PK[1-3] so I'm trying to figure out what will work for the highlights and shadows. I've ordered a couple of more paints to fill in holes (orange, purple, copper, brown liner), but haven't committed my budget to buying full sets of triads.

I was thinking to just add a darker green (grass green) to the olive for the shadow and olive+sunlight yellow for the highlight, but I have six Goblins so I'll try your colors too.

I painted the various knickknacks (mostly on their backs) and then added shadow last night. I like the look of the goblins on the right, but over all I am not happy with how the shadow blends. I'm not sure if that's just the way it needs to be for contrast or I should go over with another coat closer to the mid tone.

post-12645-0-51392500-1378386283_thumb.jpg
Edited by falstius
  • Like 1

Goblins are finished. I'm reasonably happy with the improvement in shadow and highlighting compared to my L2PK2 figures http://www.reapermini.com/forum/index.php?/topic/51152-learning-to-paint-from-the-l2pks/. I was able to do a second thinned coat to blend them with the midtone without completely washing out either. Still need better control though, maybe a nicer brush would help.

post-12645-0-74808900-1378524167_thumb.jpeg

L2PK 3 and 4 are in the mail, hurry up!

Edited by falstius
  • Like 7

I did the shadow for this batch with olive green and ultra marine shadow (going for teal from Corporea's suggestion). The last batch were olive green and walnut brown. The difference is subtle but I like it. Probably need a second coat in spots and then highlight. The red hat is the new guy.
post-12645-0-28617200-1378870674_thumb.jpgpost-12645-0-64381600-1378870689_thumb.jpg

Edited by falstius
  • Like 4

Goblins are done, including a coat of seal and dull cote. Unfortunately our party is level 18 at the moment so it might be awhile before they get any play. The shadows and highlights are clearer, but I didn't spend a lot of time on blending. One thing at a time and these are good enough.

post-12645-0-45131500-1379261204_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

I was traveling for work and so no painting last week, and I'm feeling like I should get some more practice with simple brush skills before doing the next Learn to Paint Kit, so next up, Ninjas!

post-12645-0-75880100-1379982275_thumb.jpg

So far I have just primed them with a mix of reaper brush on primer and true black. I've looked at some posts on how to paint ninjas and make them look interesting instead of black on black on black. I'm thinking to do the base coats as: leather parts with walnut brown, the cloth a very dark grey and I have some imperial purple to mix with black for some of the other cloth. I'll do the various silks with true black and then metal parts with honed steel + black. Those will be followed by a black wash and then just highlighting with the midtones and then a few touches of grey+white to highlight.

• Like 2