Falstius Learning to Paint

falstius

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I to understand that you've just begun painting? If you have, holy cow!!!

You've got your own unique style here. Already distinctively yours and that's rare. I like everything you've posted here thus far and am blown away by your speed of painting. The work is so tidy as well, very clean, very neat.

These guys are almost there. I can see the highlights coming out already on the black. I use either blue or purple to do highlights in black as in real light you can see those colours within the black and you get that depth of colour you need to keep it from looking "flat".

Am I to understand that you've just begun painting?

Thanks. I started painting in July. Pretty much everything I've done so far is in this thread and the show off thread. I got a good start with the learn to paint kits.

I tried mixing the purple in with the black. It is probably too subtle. Any highlights you see are just the actual lighting (no light box to soften it up). Tomorrow I will get to highlighting and I will try just using straight purple or blue watered down as a glaze to highlight.

• Like 1

Tonight was shadows. I'm not totally thrilled with the result. I tried using tanned shadow on the skin and it isn't nearly as dark as the skin shadows I've been mixing myself. For the cloth I tried using black ink and it came out too shiny. A watered down true black seems better but I already did most of them with the ink. So I went back over with the black wash to try and bring down the shine. Should be okay now once I add highlights. Also, these guys are a little smaller than most reaper minis (about the same as the goblins) and with all of the hoods the faces are tricky.

post-12645-0-85173400-1380166130_thumb.jpg

And a zoom shot. I like the blackened blade effect a bit more in person.

post-12645-0-12580000-1380166152_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Tonight I worked on the highlighting of the cloth. It was kind of tricky. I started with ultramarine shadow and that added some nice depth, but I wanted higher highlights too. I tried adding some gray to the ultramarine but it looked teal and not appropriate. So instead I used gray and black to do some more highlighting and then pure gray for the peaks (rainy gray). This got kind of chalky though and tended to make water marks. So I used pure black with a lot of water and a touch of dish soap to soften the edges and darken the shadows where some of the gray sloped over. If anyone can point me at a better way, I'm all ears.

Group shot

post-12645-0-02573200-1380253989_thumb.jpg

Zoom of shuriken dude

post-12645-0-78274400-1380253961_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow I'll highlight the face and leather parts and then figure out what to do with the base. I am thinking to try my first static grass if I can make it to the store.

• Like 1

I finished highlighting with Ruddy leather for the leather, mahogany brown for the wood and tanned highlight for the skin. I like the tanned highlight more then the tanned shadow for contrast.

After that I started some experiments with basing. The figures are all glued to 25mm washers (cheap). I used modge-podge mixed with cheap black acrylic to fill in gaps and then coated the whole base with it and either dipped in flock or sprinkled with fake lichen. With only the lichen, the ninja looks a little lost in the woods. I like the one with some lichen glued onto the flock. My flock, lichen and coal (on the skeleton bases) are all railroad supplies left in my house by the previous owner (deceased) so maybe he'll pass on some inspiration.

post-12645-0-59855900-1380343127_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Despite the KS excitement, I did get started on L2PK4. There is a lot of poking around in the genitals on these figures, I feel like I should be buying them dinner first.

Cleaned, primed, and first coat of base coat.

post-12645-0-26931200-1380683747.jpgpost-12645-0-94881300-1380683747.jpgpost-12645-0-36202400-1380683457_thumb.jpg

For my base coating, I find myself doing 1.5 coats (it takes me so long to finish one that I can go back over the really light spots right away) to get an even first pass, and then I'll do a second once it is dry.

• Like 4

I have decided I hate this kind of careful black lining. My painting elbow is killing me. It took about two hours to do the second coat, lining and cleaning up the oopses. I took front and back pictures since the kit only has front I think.

post-12645-0-06104100-1380769889_thumb.jpgpost-12645-0-29298700-1380769856_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Its been awhile, but am back with some new inspiration.  Here's the base coat of my "fire and ice" griffon.  We have some rimefire griffons in our DnD game but I think the official WoTC ones look terrible.  My take is a pheonix combined with a snow lion.  I first coated the whole thing with blue liner, which I'm regretting now. It is hard to get color on the tops of the feathers. The fire base coat is pheonix red, fire red and fire orange. The white is ghost white, and I'm using honed steel for the beak and claws.  The arms are breonne blue.

post-12645-0-39265000-1389846593_thumb.jpgpost-12645-0-96921600-1389846594_thumb.jpg

I've also added a bunch of little things i've done recently to my misnomered "Show-Off" thread.

Edited by falstius
  • Like 5

I've put some highlights on the feathers.  I'm still having trouble getting them to really pop though. I think I'll need some more glazing on the wings with some lighter fire colors.  The lion part is ghost white heavily dry-bushed over a wash of sapphire blue.  Should be ready for gaming Sunday.

post-12645-0-13110600-1390014099_thumb.jpg

I'm also having some fun with some lesser elementals. I think the next step is to wash the air elemental with a bluish white.  I am going for really strong contrasts though between the blue recesses and white bulges.  I've got a pretty clear idea of what to do with the fire and earth elementals too, but not the water elemental.

post-12645-0-69264900-1390014107_thumb.jpg

• Like 4