Falstius Learning to Paint

falstius

I've started another larger figure, 02895: Agramon, Pit Fiend.  Here I've just used brown liner to fill in most of the low points and joints. In this picture, I've started a base coat of clotted red which you can see on the arm. For previous bones, I coated the whole figure with a single under coat (usually brown liner, walnut brown or blue liner), but this time I'm trying to lay to shadows and midtones right away by keeping the liner to the crevices. 

post-12645-0-72975300-1391799960_thumb.jpg

I finished up the clotted red coat last night on most of the body, and I did the chest with tanned shadow.  After that was a wash with a mystery sample from reaper.  I call it red ink, but the color is similar to bloodstain red (just on the watery side).  I'll add a picture of that tonight.  My original plan was to make parts of him "flaming" but when I look at the structure it doesn't make as much sense so he'll be more a red and brown brute.

• Like 5

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the basecoat (clotted red, tanned shadow) and a wash of a dark mystery red (similar to bloodstain).  It darkened the chest a little too much but I'll recover the tanned look of that with highlights.  I'm trying to decided on how to highlight his many many ridges.  Either a black, charred look or a lava-orange look?  The fireball is sun yellow and I'll finish it up with the fire-red triad.

post-12645-0-93423600-1391816340_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

More work on Agramon. First I dry-brushed the chest with tanned shadow to bring back the contrast after everything was washed.

post-12645-0-95203300-1391873067_thumb.jpg

Next, I tried highlighting the ridges with blood red but it didn't really pop at all.  In the picture the detached arm is done and the main body isn't.  

post-12645-0-85215600-1391873068_thumb.jpg

So instead I dry-brushed the red on all of the bulging muscles and then hit all of the bony spurs with walnut brown.  I've also washed the wings with walnut brown and selectively washed parts of the body. So here is the assembled Pit fiend!

post-12645-0-88864800-1391873066_thumb.jpg

I wanted to assemble him before doing the highlights so that I can make the parts match across the boundaries. The teeth, talons and eyes are just touched with color to help show what still needs to be done.  I'm going to bring him to a game tomorrow so more work tonight and in the morning.

• Like 9

Agramon has done to show off. Next up is mini cthulhu (77113: Eldritch Demon). I did the same kind of lining and base coat as Agramon but with olive green and brown liner.  Then I washed with forest green and dry brushed with moldy skin and olive green. Now he's glued together and ready for details and highlighting. I'm looking forward to lining all his little suckers with a sickly pink.

post-12645-0-34025200-1391915999_thumb.jpg

post-12645-0-01452100-1391915994_thumb.jpg

Edited by falstius
  • Like 5

More work on Mini Cthulhu.  I filled in the suckers with a mixter of red and olive green, then lined it with a pink made from pure white and a speck of red. The nails are just a place holder random brown I accidentally made while trying to get the right color for the suckers.

post-12645-0-71416000-1391962255_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty happy with it so far (the picture isn't good and makes parts of it look messier than they are), but I'm not sure what I want to do with the eldritch swirls, leave them as is or highlight in a different color? And I'm not sure about lighting for highlighting.

• Like 6

The saga of the eldritch demon continues.  He still needs highlighting and I've decided to paint his tentacles ... something.  Pink? Purple? Yellow.  I guess we'll find out when I grab some paint.  I'm pretty happy with the swirls.  It took a couple of rounds of wash to fill in the low parts (forest green) and careful lining of the tops (sun yellow + a bit of olive green) to get enough contrast.

post-12645-0-26264900-1392093046_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

More work with the demon, I decided to go with purple inspired by "Darius Glenwell"s version. I don't like all of that but the purple really struck me. Also noticed the neck rings for the first time, and decided to add some bone spurs to the wings.  Need a bit more shadow on sides of the tentacles where the light color stuck to the flash.  And, STILL need to do highlights on the skin.  I'm finding all kinds of fun details on this figure.

post-12645-0-21427800-1392262117_thumb.jpg

edit: did the attachment funny

Edited by falstius
  • Like 8

And Eldritch Demon is done ... except when I said that about Agramon I got a bunch of great comments and when back to make a bunch of changes.  So I'm all ears.  The highlighting is palamino gold mixed with olive green and the shading is forest green mixed with olive green.  I love olive green for monster skin.

post-12645-0-84307500-1392349408_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Now all you need is a custom base to match the excellent job you did on the mini.     curses, the basing virus is settlling in (runs around looking for a shot)! :down:

I envision him standing in a pool of fetid water ... and the broccoli base works OK for that.  I could put some gravel or cobblestones around the pool of water but those things tend to kind of dribble onto the gaming table.  How do you keep your fancy bases from littering?