Falstius Learning to Paint

falstius

If it's something like sand I'll use white glue/water and apply the sand, tap the base to get rid of excess, then after that's dried I'll do the same thing robin does and put another light coat of the stuff on top of the base, then prime/paint (if you want to) and then seal it all with a sealant like the testors dull coat spray. 

I make sure to seal all of my figures and their bases, that will keep things in place unless you are playing hacky-sack with them.

• Like 1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Use enough white glue and seal after with some varnish. I haven't had anything tear off from my bases as far as I know.

Another unrelated trick to flocking is to flock excessively and leave the flock lying on the white glue until it's dry. Then shake off the excess. Makes sure you don't have excess glue showing, and in my experience lets the glue soak well into all the gunk you put on it much better.

• Like 1

Great work. You keep improving and improving. I like the fade from the dark to light on the purple. I use a strainer for putting flock down on a base of thinned white elmers glue. If you really want a permanent solution where nothing falls off I have found using future floor polish over the flock or gravel makes it rock solid. It is now called I do believe johnsons total care floor polish. A google search should help.

• Like 1

Procrastination!  Two things I'm working on.  First I painted this little tree spirit familiar in about 30 minutes and I'm going to paint up the mushroom (he isn't glued to the base yet).

post-12645-0-15534800-1393298216.jpg

And another mini for my pixie character, his "Draconic Incarnation".  I need a dragon that fits on a 40 mm base so I cut flit away from his base and boiled him for about 20 minutes before standing him up and then leaving him in ice water for another 20+ minutes. To be a little more certain, his back leg is actually super glued to his tail. I'm working some green stuff to rebuild his foot. No painting yet, but this is my first conversion.

post-12645-0-21201800-1393299003_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Old chopped foot and new green foot.  The green foot is a little bigger than the original, but should look ok painted up.  My only tools for this are my oversized fingers and the back of my exacto knife so maybe I should get a few simple sculpting tools.

post-12645-0-18184700-1393300420.jpgpost-12645-0-63511400-1393300419.jpg

• Like 3

More fun with the tree spirit.  I spent more time working on the shading of the mushroom I think than the actual figure.  The saturation on my cell phone camera is terrible. Maybe a better background, or less light.

Edit: The quality of the pictures I've been taking is horrible so I spent a little more time to find some settings that work and don't require me to pull out my DSLR to take WIP shots. The final settings I like with my Nexus 4 phone camera are 2 12W White Light CFL bulbs, HDR on (hand drift reduction), Exposure -2, auto white balance.  I get much better color saturation.  You can see the difference below.  The left versions are 15W LED bulbs, regular exposure and white balance, the right are the CFL bulbs and reduced exposure.  If I reduce the exposure with the LED or use regular exposure with the CFL I still get very poor saturation.  The right side pictures are pretty true to life.

post-12645-0-30140500-1393389154_thumb.jpgpost-12645-0-28266600-1393389153_thumb.jpg

Edited by falstius
  • Like 1

I had fun at the New England Paint Day (a grand title for 6 people sitting in a game shop painting and buying miniatures). The people here are as nice in real life as in the forum. Progress was made on both the L2PK5 figures and my modified Flit.

The learn to paint figures are about 2/3rds done.  Armor is pretty much all there, but the hair and faces haven't really been started and are things I struggle with.

post-12645-0-74061300-1393739427_thumb.jpg

I want Flight to be a metallic grey and white with blue shading and I'm really struggling with it. Currently he's pearl white over a wash of sapphire blue and the ridge comb is rainy grey over the blue. His chest scales are honed steel.  Honestly it looks kind of a mess and I've tried too many different techniques that didn't really work.

post-12645-0-71182600-1393739426_thumb.jpg

When I got home, I realized I wanted to paint up the storm giant to use as a ice titan for gaming tomorrow (if we don't use this, it will probably be a beer bottle).  The plan is for him to have mostly gold armor, blue skin, and nordic blond hair.  The skin is currently ultramarine shadow over blue liner and I haven't put in any midtone or highlight on it yet (his left foot didn't get the blue liner treatment, you can really see the difference).  The armor is antique gold over brown liner and also needs highlighting.

post-12645-0-90483700-1393739428_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I've been starting but not finishing much recently, but I have made some progress on my winged deva cleric. He started life as ]77089: Halbarand, Cleric" but I cut a hole in his back and added some Angel wings (the second biggest from 03181: Angelic Wings) and I drilled out his hammer and gave him a staff (toothpick with the ends chopped off).  He's bonesium but doesn't have any trouble holding up the wings (attached with green stuff and super glue).  

The base was done using the happy seppuku ancient flagstone mold, I'm really happy with that mold.  I have found though that green stuff pretty much glues to bonesium, so when I press a figure into a base to make an indent for the feet, I can't always get it off again.  Maybe put a paint barrier in between?  

For paints, he started off with a coat of red liner, then antique gold for the armor plus walnut brown wash and new gold highlights.  The cloak is bloodstain red with carnage red highlights.  The Wings were primed and painted white, then a walnut brown wash  and a blood red wash on the largest feathers followed by dry brushing white (he isn't the purest angle). Skin is breonne blue shadow with a blue/grey mystery sample paint for the midtone then whitened for highlights. Staff is blackened brown and intense brown. Most of the leather is ruddy leather and walnut brown.  His hair is ruddy leather with oiled leather highlights.

This is my first significant conversion (instead of just a re-positioning) and the paint job is only about 80% done so any pointers on things to improve are welcome.

post-12645-0-40346700-1396711052_thumb.jpgpost-12645-0-46150500-1396711652_thumb.jpg

• Like 5