Bones: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - what constitutes a miscast?

Arkady

Finally received my Bones and it looks like mostly everything is there (except Kaladrax' pet Hyrekia), but even having just inventorized and not really quality checked, I noticed a number of figs that have detail that doesn't look all that good.

In some cases, I know that's a known issue, like the infamous Ellen Stone, Alien Cowgirl, who won't see general sales.

But there's others that aren't as clear-cut at first glance. For example when i pulled the Ghostly Summons, I asked myself, "Where's the fingers on the left hand on the top one?" So I checked the pic in the gallery, which looks like this.

77095_w_1.jpg

It looks like that upper left hand even of the "display model" has only very weak finger detail and I can't really expect to see a cast much better than mine.

Another fairly common problem seem to be noses (or lack thereof). Spottet a fighter I already nicknamed Lord Nonose...

This made me wonder: is there a definite official list of the Good (where detail is just as expected), the Bad (where there seems to be a common weak spot like the Summons' hand) and the Ugly (like Alien Ellen)?

I mean, I don't see a point in asking for a replacement on something like the Summons, where it looks like presumably, most people will have gotten a largely fingerless left hand, but if what looks like Lord Nonose to me were 99% good casts that'd be a different matter.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

None of the Bones really have the detail of the metal. If you have a specific mini that you think is bad just search the forum using its name to see if anyone has commented after looking at the for sale examples. There are some lists in the loss of face detail topic but they are deep in a long topic. I found that the Chronoscope and Pathfinder Icons are some of the worst offenders.

• Like 2

As far as Uglies, Reaper has explicitly stated that there's a handful (~5) of minis that didn't meet their QC standards and will never see the light of day post-Kickstarter. Alien Ellen is in there, and so is Juliette (77057) amongst a few others.. If you're experiencing issues with others, like your ghosts, then AFAIK those are one-of problems and the molds shouldn't have issues once Bones enter post-KS production.

If you're looking for replacements, Kickstarter isn't a pre-order per se, so you kind of get what you get. You could always ask in your email to help(a.t)reaper but I'm pretty sure they're only processing missing or incorrect pieces (ie 2 left arms with no right), I don't think they're processing replacements for bad sculpts. Could be wrong though.

Edited by unidentifiable
  • Like 1

AFAIK they are replacing miscasts. However there could be miniatures that are a bit soft in detail here or there, either because the original master was lacking, or from the translation from original model, through the process that results in a steel mould. But if there's a missing nose or something it is probably a miscast. The discontinued models are ones that either have a serious lack, or frequently miscast.

See, that's exactly what I'm trying to figure out. When is it soft detail and when is it just plain miscast?

I'm almost willing to bet nobody has Ghostly Summons with pronounced fingers on that left had, so presumably that's just "soft detail", whereas Sir Nonose is not on the list with Ellen, so presumably a miscast. Of course, if he doesn't hav a nose half the time, it might be...eh...

AFAIK they are replacing miscasts. However there could be miniatures that are a bit soft in detail here or there, either because the original master was lacking, or from the translation from original model, through the process that results in a steel mould. But if there's a missing nose or something it is probably a miscast. The discontinued models are ones that either have a serious lack, or frequently miscast.

There are plenty of models with issues that are still being released. Vaeloth, Hellborn Paladin lost his very pronouced nose. Berkeley (chainsaw zombie fighter) looks like she has already lost the fight with the zombies.

Tell us the name of Sir Nonose and we can tell you if it is a miscast. You can use

http://greg.botch.com/bones/

to identify the model and click on the picture right to go to usually the metal version that you can use to search the name to look at the plastic one.

• Like 1

Thanks. I'll sit down and go over individual figs over the weekend, so far just inventorized using the KS image which proved a suprisingly effective quick way to figure out if everything is there. Can't name Sir Nonose off the bat, it wasn't either of those though.

There are plenty of models with issues that are still being released. Vaeloth, Hellborn Paladin lost his very pronouced nose. Berkeley (chainsaw zombie fighter) looks like she has already lost the fight with the zombies.

Yeah, immediately I saw my Berkeley I thought "What a cool chainsaw wielding zombie figure!" :D

• Like 1

As far as Uglies, Reaper has explicitly stated that there's a handful (~5) of minis that didn't meet their QC standards and will never see the light of day post-Kickstarter. Alien Ellen is in there, and so is Juliette (77057) amongst a few others.. If you're experiencing issues with others, like your ghosts, then AFAIK those are one-of problems and the molds shouldn't have issues once Bones enter post-KS production.

So is there a published list of these so called "Uglies"?

My only real issue is Wyrmgears body. Its as if the front half of it was twisted away from you and the back half was twisted towards you (like an S) and it set in that position. When you would place the legs on him and say his center line is 6 o clock then the front legs are at about 5 o clock and the back legs are at about 7 o clock.

After several boilings the above issue is almost corrected, but a secondary issue has popped up. There seems to have been severe stretching and warping done to the right wing socket and there is no way that I can fix that without performing hobby knife surgery. If the wings were soft (bonsium) it could just be made to fit but when the socket looks like a soft "S" and the wing is a rigid straight fit we are starting to get getting into round peg square hole territory.

Other than that I am super satisfied with my bones. Assembled all of my Giants (one warped sword boiled to straightness), Nethyrmaul (assembled with ease), Kaladrax (mostly assembled, but waiting for some wing boiling) and my elementals and demons (4 armed demon's wings needed some boiling). Cthulhu assembled easily as well.