Bones: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - what constitutes a miscast?

Arkady

I asked Reaper about this in the kickstarter:

Your previous Bones Kickstarter generate a significant percentage of model ~ 5% that were not close to the detail quality of metal/resins shown in kickstarter images specifically in terms of facial features. What went wrong with these models and how are addressing it for this kickstarter to deliver 100% of models with noses.

They replied:

That's a big question I don't have time for a long answer to at this moment. Sorry.

I responded:

Maybe that is an answer you should have already had ready as part of your launch in the possible problem section for those people who have already put hundreds of dollars into Bones. Obviously people are generally happy as you have already sold half a million in the new kickstarter, but people expect more than:

http://hakomike.blogspot.com/2013/07/fun-with-bones-ellen-stone.html

• Like 1

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have said many times that we are working with our manufacturer to reduce/remove such defects from future products. We have shown them samples of what we sent versus what was received, and they are aware now, and can do what they need to do to fix it in the future.

When I check all posts by you, I see several other posts about this topic, so clearly it is one that concerns you greatly. As such, I will try to address it.

We sent hundreds of models to China at once for them to make molds of. We do not know if they took shortcuts, if they made actual mistakes, or if the figures themselves just for one reason or another when being scanned in and then burned into the steel had something about them that caused them not to work as well. Reaper did not make the molds, nor do we have the expertise in house to have even attempted such a thing. Our manufacturer has not been forthcoming with details as to why, and to us, the why is irrelevant - what is relevant is that we are confident that they know how to prevent it or to reduce the impact in the future.

Beyond that, we made a full and public disclosure that there were problems with certain models. We fulfilled our obligations, and immediately cancelled the worst offenders, leaving us with thousands of models we cannot sell in our inventory. We can ill-afford to make this mistake many more times, so it is absolutely something we are very interested in correcting.

We have no guarantees that such a thing could never happen again. We cannot make such a guarantee as long as the molding and manufacturing are contracted out - a process we continue to work to reduce or eliminate. What we can do is what we *always* have done - and that is we stand behind our product. We received hundreds of e-mails about the noses of the models with no noses. Every consumer received a refund for that models MSRP. Note that this is more than the per-figure that they paid via Kickstarter. As good copies do not exist, we could not replace them, but we could make it right. And in the future, we will continue this practice - it is the right thing to do for our customers.

If you are concerned that the project will not provide a good enough value (as measured in terms of quality of model, not quantity) then you are free not to back the project, and wait until you can do a visual inspection of the figures before making purchasing decisions.

I don't know if this is the right place, but I do know of one prevailing defect and how to fix it. A lot of sculpts have little divots in them (Battle Guard golem has it on his outside left arm, for instance). This is from the figures being twisted off the sprue instead of cut. Perfectly normal for a factory worker interested in speed to do, especially if they're reasonable people instead of us weird modeling geeks. A memo and a couple cases of flush cutters would probably be enough to fix it. It's not really a problem on the figures that attach to the sprue at the base, but it is considerably more convenient to trim a sprue tab off of a figure than to grab the green stuff for tiny repairs.

Are you saying that the discontinued models were "corrected" by a gift certificate? I ask because the only one of those models I queried about--the only one I cared about--was Juliette, Female Wizard, and I was offered no replacement and no credit. In fact, when I asked about the possibility, so that I could buy a model with a functional left hand to transplant, I was told that there would be no corrective action for Juliette, and presumably for none of the other discontinued models. Is that at odds with Reaper's policy, or am I misunderstanding you, here?

I appreciate any answer you can give me. If Reaper isn't dealing with those redacted models in any capacity, then I'll just buy a donor model. $2.50 isn't exactly a deal breaker for fixing a defective model, but it does end up making a Bones model cost close to its metal version's price...which amuses me.

We received hundreds of e-mails about the noses of the models with no noses. Every consumer received a refund for that models MSRP. Note that this is more than the per-figure that they paid via Kickstarter. As good copies do not exist, we could not replace them, but we could make it right. And in the future, we will continue this practice - it is the right thing to do for our customers.

Are you saying that the discontinued models were "corrected" by a gift certificate? I ask because the only one of those models I queried about--the only one I cared about--was Juliette, Female Wizard, and I was offered no replacement and no credit. In fact, when I asked about the possibility, so that I could buy a model with a functional left hand to transplant, I was told that there would be no corrective action for Juliette, and presumably for none of the other discontinued models. Is that at odds with Reaper's policy, or am I misunderstanding you, here?

I appreciate any answer you can give me. If Reaper isn't dealing with those redacted models in any capacity, then I'll just buy a donor model. $2.50 isn't exactly a deal breaker for fixing a defective model, but it does end up making a Bones model cost close to its metal version's price...which amuses me.

We received hundreds of e-mails about the noses of the models with no noses. Every consumer received a refund for that models MSRP. Note that this is more than the per-figure that they paid via Kickstarter. As good copies do not exist, we could not replace them, but we could make it right. And in the future, we will continue this practice - it is the right thing to do for our customers.

That should say every customer that contacted me received a Gift certificate to compensate. We cannot, however, afford to give out 18,000 gift certificates, so it's only something we did for the very upset. As it is we're sitting on literally thousands of dollars in unsellable inventory.

Regardless, if it's a point of contention, I will make it right. I have to.

That should say every customer that contacted me received a Gift certificate to compensate. We cannot, however, afford to give out 18,000 gift certificates, so it's only something we did for the very upset. As it is we're sitting on literally thousands of dollars in unsellable inventory.

Um...I'd buy some. Greenstuff fixes everything.

• Like 2

Can you tell us what you're going to do with it all, or is that against company policy? Are you going to melt them down to slowly add back into the Bonesium pool? Sell 'em unblistered at cents on the dollar at Cons? Start sending them out for free instead of paint samples? Use them to insulate the warehouse?

It would be a shame if you couldn't do anything with them, since they're not wholly unusable. Even the most respected brands in every industry have "factory second" sales, where they sell off defective pieces for cheap, with the caveat that they aren't up to the usual brand quality. Could you do something like that, especially online?

• Like 5

We have said many times that we are working with our manufacturer to reduce/remove such defects from future products. We have shown them samples of what we sent versus what was received, and they are aware now, and can do what they need to do to fix it in the future.

When I check all posts by you, I several other posts about this topic, so clearly it is one that concerns you greatly. As such, I will try to address it.

We sent hundreds of models to China at once for them to make molds of. We do not know if they took shortcuts, if they made actual mistakes, or if the figures themselves just for one reason or another when being scanned in and then burned into the steel had something about them that caused them not to work as well. Reaper did not make the molds, nor do we have the expertise in house to have even attempted such a thing. Our manufacturer has not been forthcoming with details as to why, and to us, the why is irrelevant - what is relevant is that we are confident that they know how to prevent it or to reduce the impact in the future.

Beyond that, we made a full and public disclosure that there were problems with certain models. We fulfilled our obligations, and immediately cancelled the worst offenders, leaving us with thousands of models we cannot sell in our inventory. We can ill-afford to make this mistake many more times, so it is absolutely something we are very interested in correcting.

We have no guarantees that such a thing could never happen again. We cannot make such a guarantee as long as the molding and manufacturing are contracted out - a process we continue to work to reduce or eliminate. What we can do is what we *always* have done - and that is we stand behind our product. We received hundreds of e-mails about the noses of the models with no noses. Every consumer received a refund for that models MSRP. Note that this is more than the per-figure that they paid via Kickstarter. As good copies do not exist, we could not replace them, but we could make it right. And in the future, we will continue this practice - it is the right thing to do for our customers.

If you are concerned that the project will not provide a good enough value (as measured in terms of quality of model, not quantity) then you are free not to back the project, and wait until you can do a visual inspection of the figures before making purchasing decisions.

Thank you for the reply. The jist of the description is the manufacturer has not told you what the problem was but you are confident that it will not be repeated and this time you have left yourselves enough time to properly inspect production samples before having them run off like 20000 copies of the model.

If you haven't shipped out the Kaladrax tail for order #5379, I would appreciate it. If you have...Well, I don't want to cost you guys too much in shipping. That's an awful lot of unsellable stock.

However, have you thought about putting out Bones upgrade packs with sprues of hands, possibly holding guns or wands or daggers? If you were to sell those, you could then shift the Juliettes along with the hands as some kind of "convert your own character" pack, maybe? If you make some spare heads, then you can do the same with the noseless ones. Or else maybe put up an Andromedan (noseless aliens) pack of civilians using the noseless minis?