dispatchdave

Dave's Rarely Updated WIP Thread - New Pics 12/16

Update 12/16: Check the latest post for pics of Dwarves, Sheep, and Pack Mules. So tiny!

So, I'm not so good at updating things, but here's a thread for my random progress reports as I feel the need to post them.

What got me started on this is my recent acquisition of some 6mm figures (from Baccus 6mm in the UK). Here's a pic of some of them primed, sitting on one of my many HA in-progress pieces. The 6mm figs are from the Dwarves line by Baccus, the lower large figure is Reaper's Mad Scientist (Female), the upper large figure is Darksword's Female Mage on Stairs (they are included for scale comparison).

post-8036-0-79435800-1378410468_thumb.jpg

Further updates eventually.

-Dave

Edited by dispatchdave
  • Like 8

Holy carp! When I first saw that I thought it was a diorama of a chick with some sort of smurf-like minions marching down the stairs.

It's still pretty cool. I hate to say I'm most excited about the HA project though. Keep us up to date on that too!

• Like 4

The terrain looks super cool! Holy freaking cow, those dwarves are TIIIIINY!! How does one even go about painting them? Using a brush with a single hair?! :blink: And there's soooo many of them. My goodness, you've certainly got your work cut out for you! I wish you luck!!!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

Holy carp! When I first saw that I thought it was a diorama of a chick with some sort of smurf-like minions marching down the stairs.

It's still pretty cool. I hate to say I'm most excited about the HA project though. Keep us up to date on that too!

I like the idea of the army marching down the stairs.... I was planning on doing something like that eventually (my brother-in-law called them an army of underwear gnomes). I'm planning a 28mm 1/4 scale (so 1:200) chessboard (~2' tall chessmen for the regular figures; my scale math may be a bit off). We'll see where that goes. I'll also keep you updated on my HA projects. I'm thinking about trying some 6mm terrain with it. We'll see how that stacks up.

The terrain looks super cool! Holy freaking cow, those dwarves are TIIIIINY!! How does one even go about painting them? Using a brush with a single hair?! :blink: And there's soooo many of them. My goodness, you've certainly got your work cut out for you! I wish you luck!!!

Huzzah!

I'll be painting them with my DaVinci #2 and #0. The point is fine enough to get to fiddly bits, and keep in mind the detail won't be as good as a regular figure. They have to look good from ~1'-3' away; the idea is number of figures over number of layers. ;) It'll be hard to limit myself, though. I just have to paint all those little buckles and straps!

I've temporarily based them on a couple of wood sticks (think long, flat, narrow) for painting; they're in groups of four strips, making each set (of four strips) feel like a single piece. Also, assembly-line technique.

-Dave

• Like 2

Huzzah!

Brush with a good point. IME, painting small-scale figures improves your painting of 25mm figures, and vice versa. Working the details on the little guys makes it easier to work the details on the big (25mm) figures. And working the shading on the big figures raises an expectation of shading on little figures.

I'd probably recommend starting with 15's, though.

ps. I have some 6mm WWII infantry that I used 15 colors on. Painting the camouflage on the gas mask canisters might have been a bit OTT. ^_^

• Like 2

So, I went off in a slightly different direction from my first post. I received some buildings from Baccus, and felt like painting that up. Here's a few pics of what I'm doing with them (I have more buildings, but didn't get those pics yet). The little diorama/gameboard needs more work (flock, more different flock, more different still flock, protective coats, etc) but I like the direction it's going in. Any suggestions regarding what I should do (technique wise, or project-wise) are always welcome.

So, I was trying to figure out how to make 6mm terrain with my HA bricks, to complement what I received from Baccus. I stumbled across my Inn and Accessories mold with the small fieldstone, and thought it a match made in heaven.

The outer wall was created with HA bricks (Excalibur plaster), as was the well inside the perimeter (and still in need of paint). The buildings are Baccus 6MM (English Church and a Belgian Barn; don't ask). The green ground cover is Woodland Scenics Fine Turf, the brown ground cover is old coffee grounds (dried then sifted for size, of course). The bushes are also WS (I forget what exactly; their sponge tree foliage stuff).

Without further ado, pictures! Please comment or criticise (constructively) as you see fit.

-Dave

ETA: For scale reference, the main wall archway is an inch across the open area. The walls themselves are 1/2" tall.

ETA2: The pictures kind of suck. My bad.

post-8036-0-59485000-1379108302_thumb.jpg

post-8036-0-66852800-1379108307_thumb.jpg

post-8036-0-99938200-1379108313_thumb.jpg

post-8036-0-40326000-1379108319_thumb.jpg

Edited by dispatchdave
  • Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Silvervane
      Well, awhile ago I started making some terrain for my Frostgrave Dark Alchemy solo mini campaign.  Longish story....Then squirrels happened.  I then decided not to wait to finish my terrain, and just go with what I had made and not painted.  I'll nether confirm nor deny that I also used Lincoln Logs to make wall to fill out that first board (and there are no picture left to prove it). That round went well.  I then managed to finish up building the hirst arts wizard tower in a ruined form.  Next round went way worse... TPK.  You take 4 character and your wizard or apprentice.  They all got taken out by a series of bad dice rolls.  The bad dice roll continued and I failed all my survival rolls for the characters in that mission.  Well I decided I really wanted to finish this piece so here is a thread showing the before painting it.

Here is some shots of built with my now deceased WIzard, who is roughly the same size as Sir Forscale.

• By bluecrowlaura
      Hello all! Here are a few pics of my second official terrain project. It's a castle/boss chamber, I suppose. I didn't really have anything in mind when I started building it; I was just fooling around with my new molds, tinkering with dry stacking. This eventually emerged.

I built it using Hirst Arts molds and bits from both Reaper and Mini Monsters. The Reaper parts are Large Sarcophagus (77540) and parts from Magic Treasures II and III. I made the flags from salad container plastic and various bits; one of these days I would like to go back and paint more detailed flags and replace these. I see so much amazing freehand banner work and I have artist envy...!

Happy painting,

Laura

• By SamuraiJack
      https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2087444096/stonehaven-dwarves-vol-2/description

About
       "...Aulë made the dwarves strong to endure. Therefore they are stone-hard, stubborn, fast in friendship and in enmity, and they suffer toil and hunger and hurt of body more hardily than all other speaking peoples; and they live long, far beyond the span of Men, yet not forever."
      -J. R. R. Tolkien
      Dwarves really are the best! While they're often a bit rough around the edges, they have the best accents, are insatiably loot-hungry, and will fight anything that moves—so we are going to make a bunch more of them! 
      We've assembled them into adventuring parties to make it easier for us to pack and ship. You can add an additional adventuring party to your base reward for $22. Additional individual dwarves can be added to your base reward for $5 each. For a slightly larger view of the minis, check them out on our blog. Here are the adventuring parties:
      From Left to Right: Male Dwarven Brawler, Female Dwarven Bard, Male Dwarven Deathknight, Male Dwarven Druid, Female Dwarven Warrior
      The League seeks out the ancient dwarven knowledge hidden deep within the lost caverns. They hope that, in time, civilized dwarves will once again inhabit those hallowed halls. 
      From Left to Right: Male Dwarven Rogue, Female Dwarven Sheildbreaker, Male Dwarven Battlerager, Male Dwarven Mage, Female Dwarven Archer
      Hogg's Tavern is not the sort of place that anyone should visit . . . at least not anyone who values their life or health. Surprisingly, it has regulars. Its patrons are usually adventures past their prime or looking to make a name for themselves. 
      From Left to Right: Female Dwarven Mechanist, Male Dwarven Automaton, Male Dwarven Gunslinger, Female Dwarven Automage, Male Dwarven Investigator
      Not everyone has embraced the "advances" made in the Steam Valley workshops. When the Savages descended on the valley, the Seigebreakers and their constructs helped turn the tide against the invading armies.
      From Left to Right: Female Dwarven Vampire Hunter, Male Dwarven Undead Elite, Male Dwarven Necromancer, Female Dwarven Huntsman, Male Dwarven Warlord
      The lands beyond Raven's Gate are shrouded in perpetual mists and haunted by the undead. Only the very brave or the very foolish venture there. Why not both? 
      From Left to Right: Female Dwarven Barbarian, Female Dwarven Berserker, Female Dwarven Wandsmith, Male Dwarven Fighter, Male Dwarven Barbarian
      The Iron Hills are not an easy country to grow up in. There's bitter cold winters and orcish armies locked in perpetual combat. That's not even mentioning the greatwolves. No one ever mentions the greatwolves.
      Every Stretch Goal we hit will add more dwarves (or dwarf-related miniature items/companions) to the Completionist Set. When we have enough of these for a new adventuring party, a new party will be formed. Here are our stretch goals:
      At $7,500 the Female Dwarven Cleric will be unlocked and added to the Dwarves Vol. 2 Completionist Reward. She will also made available as a $5 add-on.  
      At $10,000 the Male Dwarven Buccaneer will be unlocked and added to the Dwaves Vol. 2 Completionist Reward. He will also be made available as a $5 add-on.
      As we hit these stretch goals, more dwarves will be unleashed!
    • By PaulMuller
      Greetings, Children of the Reaper...

- I always think it's cheeky when entities pop up on manufacturers forums for a leg up; I do hope you will give me a pass, as I have contributed to the great Reaper Edifice (in a minuscule way) with a few sculpts in the past (Reaper Ron was kind enough to relieve me of a few Dregs.. Ghoul/Zombie sorts).

I'm just tinkering with a little range of my own , perhaps more whimsical fantasy figures..
      Got a batch of greens finished (two gang/factions.. enough for an initial mould).. and am immersing myself in a bit of hitherto unexplored social media  (only got on FBook this year!).

Have just set up a FaceBook 'Artist' page (please do take a look if you like, no obligation, am not flogging anything just now):
      https://www.facebook.com/midblightminiatures/?modal=admin_todo_tour

And attached a couple of pics for you to examine...

All the Beast/ Hope you US Denizens had a great Thanksgiving , Paul M

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all,
      here are some more Shadowrun figures that I've been working on.  Two excellent figures, probably sculpted back in the nineties by Dave Summers, two Shadowrun Dwarven Mercenaries.  As usual, so hard to decide upon colors, but I think they worked out reasonably well.

The first one is a delicate dwarven lady:

and her stalwart male companion:

First time I've ever painted modern weaponry, so hoping they turned out okay.  With choosing colors, in an effort to make my life a little bit easier, I gave them the same color overcoat, just painted different color detailing on them. 

I find that a nice change of genre is pretty fun, I'm enjoying painting something a little less fantasy and more sci-fi for a while. I'll hope to have more of these coming soon!

Enjoy!

• Who's Online   39 Members, 3 Anonymous, 50 Guests (See full list)