topcyde

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn Big Warbots

Works for me...

De Bellis Warmachina. Isn't that redundant?

It could work... just find a better W.

Turns out there are almost no words in Latin starting with W. :down:

Da Bot Wars

This too, works for me.

It's a skill. :)

A Gift,... and a Curse?

I believe I said this before.  I'm pretty sure I will say it again.

Go to gruntz.biz.  Follow the links and give Robin approximately 15 of your dollars to download his well-done,extremely flexible set of rules designed for 15mm sci-fi games.

Spend a couple of days getting familiar with the rules, and then start using the builders to give stats to your CAV models.  

When we were first learning Gruntz,  we used the JORs as a guide to reconstruct the CAV units from the ground up.  Gruntz even has a Card Deck unit activation option.  Damage track style effects are built in to reduce your systems on critical boxes.  You used to kind of have to fudge some of the weapon types, but they now have Gatlings (GGCs) and Fully Automatic Cannons (RGCs) the whole way up to assault class (Rhino, Emperor, Thunderhawk, etc).  The biggest Mechs can have a total of six weapons systems (four main and two anti-infantry),  so you can even build the Vanquisher with six GGCs and two missile launchers.  Infantry can be given all kinds of special abilities to represent the different species strengths and weaknesses.   And since Gruntz is already small-scale,  you don't really have to do much with the weapon ranges (though some have said to more accurately reflect CAV you might want to double ranges).  Soft and hard targets are differentiated by whether or not armor piercing weapons have any effect on them.  

A word of caution:   I got the Gruntz rules to use with my existing CAV collection, but it turned out to be a gateway drug into the living, breathing world of 15mm scifi.  Lots of cool stuff out there.  A lot of it designed by guys who had a hand in the original CAVs.  Your wallet has been warned. 

Another Word of Caution:  The Points system is NOT tournament ready.  A 100 point mecha will likely walk all over 100 points of infantry simply because of the difference in weapon damage potentials.  The basic infantry weapons are very unlikely to get through an assault-class mechs' defenses.  This is not to say that there aren't squad heavy weapons available to the infantry.  But a swarm of infantry with no support is not going to do much against a giant stompy robot of similar cost -- Just like small arms on the modern battlefied aren't going to do much more than chip the paint off off an M1 tank.  

• Like 1

I beta tested on Gruntz and it's a fun system. Very enjoyable. But to be honest, the raw state of the point system caused me to take a break from the system, hoping to return when it was more mature. While it has definitely improved I must admit I am pretty disappointed it hasn't improved more. There are still entire categories of weapon systems that are just not worth it. For example, why would I ever bring a projectile cannon, when a gatling gun of equivalent size costs a point less and has identical stats and area of effect thrown in for good measure?

Edited by vejlin

Like it says on the tin. What's the scoop with CAV? I get that it's a big stompy robot with guns game. What about details? I'm familiar with Battletech (at least when it was still owned by FASA, not familiar with any of the newer reboots by other companies). Is it better/worse/the same but different?

edit---typo

Edited by Chaoswolf
  • Like 1

I have to admit I'm curious about CAV too.  Was a huge BT fan back in the 90s and CAV looks really interesting but I'm not sure where to even start with it.  Colonel Kane mentions 3 versions - is CAV Strike Operations the newest?  Is it still being published/supported?

Like it says on the tin. What's the scoop with CAV? I get that it's a big stompy robot with guns game. What about details? I'm familiar with Battletech (at least when it was still owned by FASA, not familiar with any of the newer reboots by other companies). Is it better/worse/the same but different?

edit---typo

I have to admit I'm curious about CAV too.  Was a huge BT fan back in the 90s and CAV looks really interesting but I'm not sure where to even start with it.  Colonel Kane mentions 3 versions - is CAV Strike Operations the newest?  Is it still being published/supported?

Not sure how you guys missed the other thread: But the mods have now merged both threads.

I will try to answer the specifics raised in this thread by the last few posts..

..my answers will be in green and are thoroughly unofficial:

What's the scoop with CAV? See that other thread higher up in this thread particularly Chrome's lengthy post.

What about details? The models generally look like a larger scale than Battletech. There are no damage-dots to be carefully filled in on mech-data sheets. The game uses damage "tracks" like Warlord or any other RAGE mechanic based game. The number of "tracks" lost is marked out on the tabletop instead of on a data sheet for each mech.

Is it better/worse/the same but different? As SW noted: Battletech is very suited to one player controlling one or two mechs; CAV is workable if one player controls a bunch of mechs. So CAV is more like platoon level; BT is more fire-team level. Conceptually, CAV is about mechs which usually have two pilots, like many contemporary two seat jet fighter aircraft. BT was one pilot/one mech. CAV tried hard to avoid the paperwork nightmare of Battletech.

Colonel Kane mentions 3 versions - is CAV Strike Operations the newest?  Yes. CAV:SO is the newest, but...

Is it still being published/supported? CAV:SO has yet to be officially published; the previous versions are basically unsupported / OOP.

Edited to reflect merged threads; fixed a comma; plus some phrasing...

Edited by TGP
  • Like 2