buglips*the*goblin Posted September 7, 2013 Author Share Posted September 7, 2013 (edited) Basecoat secure! Well, mostly. I rushed a little bit on the next part and some not-quite-dry grey came off. So I decided to let it sit a while longer. So what was the next stage? Drybrushing! In this case, more than just an expedient. Kaladrax has a few problems you don't notice until you get into working on him. Chief among these is that his accidental enlargement made some of his details a bit soft. Now, some people believe that after you learn layering and so on that there's no need for the old, primitive techniques any more. Well, I disagree. In this case, I'm using drybrushing to help compensate for the detail loss. As you should be able to see in the picture, using reaper stone grey over the armor grey undercoat with a drybrush results in a textured finish - and I think this will help give the illusion of more detail than there actually is. This is only the first stage for the base, and when it's all through it should (hopefully) look pretty neato. We'll see. But IMO, drybrushing is the way to go here over layering. Your mileage may vary, depending on whether you like that look. And then I set about giving his skull another coat and starting some other bone bits. That center piece had pretty wild flash going on, so I carved out as much as I could quickly. Can't be sure I have enough time to worry it, but there was too much to leave in place. Hopefully any bits I missed won't show up later as glaring defects. And that Bone Shadow is really growing on me. Edited September 7, 2013 by buglips*the*goblin 21 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.