Sign in to follow this  
MojoBob

Fitz's parrot-griffon

2013-09_wip_griffon.jpg

In amongst the clutter in the photo above, you may be able to just make out my next Bones painting project — it's a griffon. At the moment it's still disassembled; I'm painting the wings and body separately to ease handling, then I'll glue it all together and touch up the joins.
Your traditional griffon is supposed to have the head and forequarters of an eagle, and the hindquarters of a lion.
I'm intending to keep the lion bit, but I'm painting the forequarters in the style of one of our New Zealand birds, the kea, which has spectacular green and red plumage. The kea is actually a mountain parrot, not a raptor, but I don't really care about that because they look so cool. They're also frighteningly intelligent and mischievous, and one of their favourite fun-time activities is to strip all the rubber seals from tourists' cars, breal off their aerials and let down their tyres. Imagine that personality in something the size of a winged lion? Cooooool!

http://mojobob.blogspot.co.nz/2013/09/wip-kea-griffon.html for more, including some photos of keas. They're great!

• Like 18

2013-09-14_griffon_wip.jpg

OK, progress has been a little bit slow on this guy owing to real life and everything.

I've painted in the under-wing flashes, and the dark blue-green of the wing-tips. Next in the plan are the under-wing bars and so forth.

• Like 11

Hmmm a Kea griffon sounds scary.... You'll come back to the wagons after killing the dragon and find the wheels removed and the horses eaten....

• Like 3

Looking at your painting carousel, I see each paint has a lid whose color matches the paint. Did you strip off the label and paint the top entirely? Vs. putting only a drop on the tip of the cap, many others do?

Inquiring minds want to know.

And the I'm really excited about this project. The Kea has some nice wings with a bit of color, but not too much, and on a griffon I think he is going to look terrifying.

Edited by Thes Hunter

Looking at your painting carousel, I see each paint has a lid whose color matches the paint. Did you strip off the label and paint the top entirely? Vs. putting only a drop on the tip of the cap, many others do?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Whenever I get a new bottle of paint, the first thing I do with it is paint its own colour all over the top, and over the whole label except for the colour name/number. I find it more useful to be able to select them by colour rather than by name.

• Like 3

I love the idea of a group of adventurers seeking out the kea-griffon's lair, only to find that it's just as much junk and bits of wagons as treasure.

• Like 4

Man I really need to return to my Katipo giant spiders soon : )

Awesome idea though! Kea's have such a personality to them!