RAFM Airship Pirates Miniatures

Teskal

I dunno. I kind of like the idea that I'll know up front what the kickstarter will cost me, and that the value will get greater on e funding is reached.

As for people backing out, well they can and do in any kickstarter campaign for various reasons anyway. Lately I've noticed it's when another bigger KS shows up to tempt backers wallets.

As I've already stated, that's main concern over this particular KS, the competition from other mini kickstarters running at or near the same time. There's going to be a lot of shiney's in other KS's to distract attention from this one.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's True. It seems like their selection has been frozen in alot of areas for some time. Yet oddly some of the better RAFM figures that I have are not currently available.

The KS mentions that some of these Airship figs have been made already. Are they available on the website? I can't seem to find them. I only found one "airship" figure and there was no picture.

Two of these minis have been for sale before. This is the second time for this campaign, last time as about a year or so ago on Indigogo and almost no one backed it, so they went ahead and sold them for a limited time. Of course they didn't have that band involved and it was just them doing steampunk minis of fans who submitted photos of themselves dressed up. The two are the ones you see painted in the higher reward tier of pirates.

Edited by MonkeySloth

As for people backing out, well they can and do in any kickstarter campaign for various reasons anyway. Lately I've noticed it's when another bigger KS shows up to tempt backers wallets.

True, but completely beside the point. RAFM have a campaign that's structured for Indiegog, which they used previously, where people can't pull pledges.

This makes backing fpr the base package seem fairly unattractive, which will be a hurdle in terms of getting people to back at all; and more importantly, unless the campaign does very well, you'll see people pulling pledges toward the end because the deal never did turn into a good one - quite possibly with a snowballing effect.

Granted, Bombshell Babes did well with a campaign where the core pledge level was similarly-priced per fig, but that was long ago, before new miniatures Kickstarters popped up every other day, and I doubt it'd wortk today.

On top of that, tbh, I for one hat higher sculpt expecations with Bombshell Babes than these RAFM figs seem to deliver. The poses look rather static, though on the plus side, all but one look like they should be single piece castings.

Lol. Same sculptor Arkady. Bombshell is Patrick Keith and these (expect for the two old ones) are Patrick as well. From the looks of it these are all from an RPG and he probably was just contracted to sculpt the poses from artwork in the game which tends to be more static when showing off NPC or character class "icons".

Don't know if anyone noticed it but the reward levels are written out for indidgogo. Especially the first two where they ask you to tell them in the reward comments section what mini you want.

If I hadn't spent so much on Empire of the Dead, and thus got about every Victorian\steampunk mini I'll need outside of player characters, I'd back this for at least a few of the minis.

I think they meant the moulds have been made and those particular minis are ready for production, to be released through the KS..

Two of these minis have been for sale before. This is the second time for this campaign, last time as about a year or so ago on Indigogo and almost no one backed it, so they went ahead and sold them for a limited time. Of course they didn't have that band involved and it was just them doing steampunk minis of fans who submitted photos of themselves dressed up. The two are the ones you see painted in the higher reward tier of pirates.

Thanks for the explanations. That's clears it up for me.

Lol. Same sculptor Arkady.

So? A good sculptor will still do absurdly static if that's what's being comissioned, and the scults will thus still be mostly meh. Though to be fair, I think the RAFM Airship Pirates are still better than the Numenara figs, which tbh look like the sculptor didn't even bother trying to breathe any life into the RPG artwork poses.

• Like 1

After the IGG Cthulhu mini's campaign ended, RAFM said they'd run another project on KS:

"Many people have asked about extending the line and also about whether or not we intend to run a Call of Cthulhu Miniatures Kickstarter campaign. The short answer to this is yes, probably. However, we would like to get all this product shipped to you, our current supporters, before we run a new campaign."

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/call-of-cthulhu-miniatures?c=activity

If you're interested in making suggestions for the upcoming KS campaign, post on the forums:

http://rafm.com/phpbb3/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=911b84fe1faec734f5ea422dc3938c3b

Lol. Same sculptor Arkady.

So? A good sculptor will still do absurdly static if that's what's being comissioned, and the scults will thus still be mostly meh. Though to be fair, I think the RAFM Airship Pirates are still better than the Numenara figs, which tbh look like the sculptor didn't even bother trying to breathe any life into the RPG artwork poses.

That's what they pay me to do. It has always been a tension point. "Do you want me to make it look cool, or look like the art?" Not every piece of art translates well back into 3D. In the case of the Airship Pirates I was sculpting from photos of the band members. Most of the time I don't have the luxury of experimenting with alternate poses and reimagining the character in order to make a deadline or cover the bills. In the case of the Numenera figures it was all of these constraints.

That is why, on the rare occasion, that I do get to put extra into a piece you get something like this.

05f113e0841ee5aa953c93b7dd82a7db_large.j

• Like 11

That's True. It seems like their selection has been frozen in alot of areas for some time. Yet oddly some of the better RAFM figures that I have are not currently available.

If you can find old stock numbers many can still be cast up. I did that for a few, like the Women of the Ninth Meridian ones. Seems that the Stephen Koo minis and the earlier Bob Murch are the NIC ones. I've suggested adding them back to the catalog, since the molds clearly still exist and they'll cast on demand. Adding them to the webstore seems easy enough, not like it costs on printing - and as you say some of them are as nice or nicer than what's already listed.