Dice!

Ellyria

When did they start making 3 and 5 sided dice? You learn something new every day...

http://www.gamestation.net/Individual-Dice/departments/57/

Help! I only need two...

http://www.gamestation.net/Diamond-Precision-7-Piece-Dice-Set-no-ink/productinfo/9002-9010/

http://www.gamestation.net/Gamescience-Precision-7-Dice-Set-Permafrost-No-Ink/productinfo/9002-9152/

http://www.gamestation.net/Aqua-Sapphire-Opal-7-piece-Dice-Set/productinfo/9007-9011/

http://www.gamestation.net/Smoke-Scarabeus-Opal-7-piece-Dice-Set/productinfo/9007-9016/

Oh, crap...I ended up on Chessex's untraditional dice website.

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Dice_Home.htm

I'm leaning towards Precision Permafrost and then glitter painting the numbers gold.

9002-9167.jpg

Edited by Ellyria
  • Like 2

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Back in my day, if you needed a 3 sided die, you rolled a d6 and divided by 2! And you liked it! Harrumph!"

Lots of pretty dice. I'm partial to the aqua set, functionality over form all the way for me, they look easy to read (plus, I was born in March).

• Like 2

"Back in my day, if you needed a 3 sided die, you rolled a d6 and divided by 2! And you liked it! Harrumph!"

Lots of pretty dice. I'm partial to the aqua set, functionality over form all the way for me, they look easy to read (plus, I was born in March).

Whippersnappers!

In my day, we did 1-20, 1-12, and 1-8 with 2d6, 1-100 with 4d6, and 1-4 with a d6. (Some rerolling required.)

(True, BTW, since it took months for the TSR hobby store to send dice to West Germany.)

• Like 1

Bah! I'm surrounded by infants!

Back in my day, we didn't even have fancy schmancy dice.

When you bought the boxed D&D set, there was a cardboard sheet marked with little numbered squares you had to cut out and put into Dixie cups. You drew your to hit numbers, damage, and saving throws from those.

Pfft. You kids have it easy these days.

• Like 7

Man. Tried to go to bed last night and spent like 45 minutes on that website in bed, in the dark, on my phone. Grrr. Grumpy Sleep Deprived Old Man today!

*heads back to the website*

Must explore all dice options. Still wouldn't mind some of those really rare hardwood artisan dice.

Two can play the Dice link game:

http://www.artisandice.com/

Remember to come up for air at some point. Enjoy!

• Like 2

After the great RPG Materials Purge of 2010 (I donated all my 2e and 3e books and materials to a National Guard unit) I have been slowly rebuilding my dice. I currently have two sets of Chessex. I'm looking to recreate a set of the "Official" TSR dice of which I used to own 2, if I can ever find a Game Store that sells individual dice.

Loim: Are you talking about the light blue ones you color with the wax crayon or are these something else?

• Like 1

When you bought the boxed D&D set, there was a cardboard sheet marked with little numbered squares you had to cut out and put into Dixie cups. You drew your to hit numbers, damage, and saving throws from those.

Young people who don't even realize how young they are. Sadly typical. ^_^

Chit sheets were a later innovation, plus they were too susceptible to ... sharp play. Not that I would have done it, of course, but we were teenagers, so the temptation was better avoided.

• Like 1

They're very pretty dice, but not very functional. The most important thing for dice is to be able to read them at a glance.

For the first 40 or 50 sets of dice this may be true. But after that it's far more important that they are different and look cool.

I wish you were wrong.

• Like 2

CrystalCaste makes the spindle dice that are shaped like drums, rather than platonic solids. I love their d4s. (Although they make lousy caltrops)

Also, the Kickstarter is over, but:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674003445/spherical-d14-and-d18-the-missing-even-sided-game

Yeah... I backed that one.

There's also all the special-materials dice that have been produced over the years, but I have generally avoided those as too expensive for me. I did buy one dice ring.

• Like 1

I, too, remember the Great Dice Famine of 1978, when TSR's suppliers literally couldn't provide them with enough polyhedrons to keep the Basic Sets loaded as they went out the door... and yes, you had to cut out the little laminated sheets that came with the Holmes Basic Book and put them in little dixie cups.

...or you could do what we did, and work out the probabilities, and just use the dice from the old Monopoly set that Mom and Dad kept in the rumpus room for when the party got rowdy. You know the chance of rolling any given number on 3d6 is 6.25%, which is close enough to 5% (the chance of rolling any given number on a twenty sider) that we just sucked it up and dealt with it until we could get the dratted polyhedrals we craved.

"Zocchi Dice" started sometime in the last twenty years when I wasn't paying attention... you can get them in d3, d5, d14, d16, d24, and d30. There is also the coveted d100, (the Zocchihedron), which is effectively useless for actually generating percentages on anything resembling a random basis, as well as being a pig to use (won't stop rolling!), but every TRUE dice freak has to have one in his collection..

• Like 2

That was only a brief(ish) period in the release of the blue box (Holmes) edition - I ended up getting one copy with the dice (4th), and one copy with the chits (6th), for two consecutive Christmases, Back In The Day.

...or you could do what we did, and work out the probabilities, and just use the dice from the old Monopoly set that Mom and Dad kept in the rumpus room for when the party got rowdy. You know the chance of rolling any given number on 3d6 is 6.25%, which is close enough to 5% (the chance of rolling any given number on a twenty sider) that we just sucked it up and dealt with it until we could get the dratted polyhedrals we craved.

Can you arrange for me to play dice with your younger self for money? I promise I'll stop after winning the first $1000. Well, maybe the second $1000. Anyway, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

:devil:

• Like 2

At PAX in front of one of the booths they had a 25cent gumball machine filled with dice.

Anytime I walked past it with quarters in my pocket, I got more dice.

Thank goodness I only found the machine on the 3rd day of the 4 day convention.

Edited by Darsc Zacal
  • Like 7

I have 2 pounds of dice. How do I know this? I bought a Chessex Pound o' Dice a few years ago and it doubled the size of my dice bag. My friend who runs a game store has a jar with 50 cents a die. Even though I have more dice then I could ever have a reason to roll, I still grab a few from the jar or buy a 'cool looking' set from the case.

I... I may have a problem...

• Like 4