You haven't seen...WHAT?!?

Ellyria

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

meaning Buckaroo Banzai was quoting Thunderdome....that really does not seem all that surprising.

According to IMDb you have that backward, Buckaroo Bonzai was 1984 and Thunderdome was 1985.

Buckaroo could have had a time travel adventure before the events of his movie. Either he could have traveled in time to watch the movie, or even to Australia to meet Mad Max. Maybe in a Doctor Who crossover, they felt like they could exist in the same universe. Imagine the Peter Davidson Doctor crossover. I'm thinking at the least a Hong Kong Cavalier would need to use his celery, either to McGyver a solution or for a coctail. The single best thing about the movie was that there was a whole universe and adventures that existed before the movie occurred. I loved that they didn't spend half the movie on an origin story, or 20 minutes on a flashback explaining Peggy.

Easier, but less fun, some Road Warriors could have found a cache of Buckaroo comics during their adventures.

• Like 1

That Radioactive song was awesome.

The Stand? I like Stephen King, and I like apocalypse settings, but I couldn't get into it. It's like 5000 pages of people wandering aimlessly.

Neon Genesis is good, but confusing. Like Akira, really.

It's 1152 pages of people trying to figure things out, thank you. :p

What I enjoyed about The Stand was how things slowly decayed in society as more and more people died. Then, you have people running across each other and forming bonds, even though they're people that never would have met, much less gotten along, had they not been the only people left. The characters drive that story, and I think they're some of King's best. Also, the final battle between good and evil was very well done.

As for NGE, I think the confusing nature of the series was one of the big draws for me. I like it when a show/book/whatever doesn't just spell everything out and leaves things open to your personal interpretation. Of course, it ended the way it did because Anno was trolling his fan base...

The Stand? I like Stephen King, and I like apocalypse settings, but I couldn't get into it. It's like 5000 pages of people wandering aimlessly.

What I enjoyed about The Stand was how things slowly decayed in society as more and more people died. Then, you have people running across each other and forming bonds, even though they're people that never would have met, much less gotten along, had they not been the only people left. The characters drive that story, and I think they're some of King's best. Also, the final battle between good and evil was very well done.

As for NGE, I think the confusing nature of the series was one of the big draws for me. I like it when a show/book/whatever doesn't just spell everything out and leaves things open to your personal interpretation. Of course, it ended the way it did because Anno was trolling his fan base...

Fair enough. Must be a slow build. I think I got about half way thru. No monsters, no zombies, just some survivors.

Fair enough. Must be a slow build. I think I got about half way thru. No monsters, no zombies, just some survivors.

I think every nerd should read it, because we are all Harold Lauder. To some degree or another. If you can't stand (no pun intended) to read it, check out the TV miniseries they did. The casting was spot on in my opinion.

• Like 1

Do any of you like older movies, and by that I mean Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, etc?

I did a little dance when I found Cary Grant's Farther Goose on a certain morally questionable streaming site, I like stewart but he doesn't come close to grant imo.

Pocket, I forgot about Rob Zombie's stuff, those are great. I'd also add Robert Rodriguez and Tarantino. They know how to make fun pulp movies with good dialogue.

oddly enough I Really dislike Tarantino for the most part, I did enjoy that Japanese western he helped port over but for the most part... :p

The Stand is 75% good. Mind you, the first 3/4 of it is legendary. The problem is that, like many King works, it's all sublime set-up but lackluster payoff.

And I love King so much I have everything in hardback. Plot is his weakness.

ETA - And I emphatically do not recommend the miniseries. It has the same problems with an extra layer of goofy.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 3

It's already pretty well established that I have problems with book to movie adaptations. I lack the mechanism most seem to possess that allows them to take the movie as an aside from the book. I read most of the Stephen King novels up to around Wizard and Glass. I've read a couple since, but probably the last one I really enjoyed was Insomnia. I wasn't able to finish The Dark Tower series because of what he did to the story in the last few books.

Possibly the only movie adaptation I've ever enjoyed more than the book was The Last of the Mohicans. Probably because I can't stand Fenimore Cooper's writing, and I usually like Daniel Day Lewis. Another movie series that suffers from the Peter Jackson syndrome were the Narnia movies. I absolutely enjoy The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe. I think they did a pretty decent job porting it over. I treat Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader like Highlander 2. They don't exist.

No one's mentioned Spaced!?

That one's at the top of my list, along with Red Dwarf. But I'm British so my perspective may be skewed differently to the board's majority :P

I don't think anyone's mentioned Flash Gordon either.

And if we're talking old films, The Ladykillers is a classic. Just ignore the newer version with Tom Hanks dressed as the KFC Colonel. (Why anyone would think that could compare to Alec Guiness I do not know.)

• Like 3

No one's mentioned Spaced!?

That one's at the top of my list, along with Red Dwarf. But I'm British so my perspective may be skewed differently to the board's majority :P

I don't think anyone's mentioned Flash Gordon either.

And if we're talking old films, The Ladykillers is a classic. Just ignore the newer version with Tom Hanks dressed as the KFC Colonel. (Why anyone would think that could compare to Alec Guiness I do not know.)

Oh Em Gee. Ladykillers (Original) is an awesome movie. Alec Guiness + Peter Sellers == awesome! I haven't thought about that movie in a long time. I know what I'm watching tonight.

I will admit that I am kindly predisposed toward any movie with Peter Sellers in it.

• Like 1

It's already pretty well established that I have problems with book to movie adaptations. I lack the mechanism most seem to possess that allows them to take the movie as an aside from the book. I read most of the Stephen King novels up to around Wizard and Glass. I've read a couple since, but probably the last one I really enjoyed was Insomnia. I wasn't able to finish The Dark Tower series because of what he did to the story in the last few books.

I managed it. Only just, though. And only because my old man joined a book club just before being diagnosed with cancer, and didn't manage to finish the Dark Tower series. He got as far as Wolves of the Calla. I decided one of us ought to finish the job, so I did. And that last one was more grueling than Kaladrax's vertebrae. In fact, it drained me so bad I didn't read another book at all for a whole year and a half. Which is a ridiculously long time for me to go without reading anything.

In King's defense, he did blitz through writing those after an incredibly traumatic event.

I'm usually a Liternazi myself, but there are two exceptions where I believe the movie adaptations exceed the source material as a better overall product.

The Mist

and

Lord of the Rings

We've been over the latter before, so we don't need to rehash that unless people really, really want to. But whatever people think of the changes, the end result as presented in the extended editions pays off entirely for the investment made watching them. And that's the best mark of a good story. Takes a while to set it up, but once you hit RotK it's just bang, bang, bang. Payoff all the way. When Rohan shows up, I still get tears every time. Not many movies can do that.

As for The Mist, that deliciously cruel twist ending was much better than the original story. And out of all adaptations of King's work, that one was the one I was most particular about. Ace job, top marks, gold star. Frank Darabont gave me trauma.