You haven't seen...WHAT?!?

Ellyria

I quit watching network TV about a year ago. I use to watch old reruns in the mornings before bed (Dragnet being a favorite) but they switched the schedules around, so nothing good was on and I had to crash as soon as I got home.

I haven't had cable for six years, and I kind of miss it. But, I realized just how much time I wasted in front of it while trying to find 'something to watch.'

I do miss watching those old shows, reruns of things like Criminal Minds and things like NOVA and the news.

• Like 2

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I have something to add here and it's quite important. About 7 years ago I stopped watching terrestrial and cable TV. I only watch services on DVD or Blu Ray and stuff on iplayer and my lovefilm streaming account.

Does anyone else do this?

Basically I don't have a TV license and haven't needed one for 7 years! (UK)

:)

We still have a TV license as I'm not the only TV user in the house but personally mine tv viewing is all DVD/Blu-Ray and online. I don't think I've watched anything as it airs in a couple of a years.

I found that I would watch a lot more crap when I still watched TV as I'd just turn something like the Paramount Comedy or Bravo on and leave it.

Edited by Nocturne
  • Like 1

The only time I've ever had cable (other than my internet) was for a brief period in college when I moved into an apartment, and they had left the cable on. I don't have Direct TV, or Dish Network. I do have a Netflix account. Pretty much everything else I do on DVD if I want to watch it.

We have cable, because I work for the cable company, and it's super-cheap. I don't care for it, with the exception of PBS when they play BBC stuff, and the occasional Adult Swim show (Venture Brothers!).

My wife and daughter constantly have the tv's on (even when they're not there! >.< ), and it bugs the ever-living stuff out of me. Ah well, compromises and all that. I prefer internet (streaming, netflix, etc) for my optical entertainment.

-Dave

I hardly ever watch t.v. when I do it's the real reality stuff. Home reno shows, that sort of thing, or the odd comedy. I'd rather paint minis and listen to music,or read a book then fill my brain with the crap that they show on television. Hell, I would rather do sanchin testing then watch most of what'son t.v.

yes it hurts, no it isn't half as bad as it looks

Edited by ShadowRaven
  • Like 1

It's funny, I have cable, and a fairly large package, ~$95 a month, but I almost never watch anything on the air. I work nights, so unless there is a cool old rerun like a recent run of The Rifleman on in the mornings, I never watch anything as it airs. I torrent pretty much everything I watch, and consider the cable payment as my rental fee for shows I watch. And if it is a program I particularly like, I buy the DVDs as well to support it. I don't feel bad about my choice, commercials bug the crap out of me and I don't have a neilson box so my viewing doesn't count anyway. Recently I watched the finale of Breaking Bad live (too worried about spoilers to take a chance) and the show had so many commercials it really ruined the flow of the episode for me.

• Like 1

:blink:

Never before heard or seen Sanchin testing, but after watching it, I know that as much as I love martial arts, I would never want to do that. Ever. :wacko:

Cable is included in our rent, so we've got it regardless. Husband and I didn't used to watch much TV up until a few months ago, when we realized it was nicer to watch something on the Food Network in the evenings together than spend time on our individual computers doing things separately. So, ironically, it's actually become a nice way for us to spend time together. Neither of us are big TV watchers to begin with, which might have something to do with it. My mom and sister would constantly have the TV on when I lived at home, so I never got into the habit of turning it on. I'd just watch whatever they were watching. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

Recently I watched the finale of Breaking Bad live (too worried about spoilers to take a chance) and the show had so many commercials it really ruined the flow of the episode for me.

As we don't get it until the Monday in the UK I had to spend an entire day at work almost on a complete internet blackout to avoid any spoilers. I managed to avoid all spoilers, just a few people saying they were very satisfied with the ending.

The worst Breaking Bad spoiler was on the front page, above the fold of the New York Daily News, Monday morning edition. If you didn't watch it Sunday night, they had a massive spoiler on the front page, so walking by any newsstand in the city would have ruined a major aspect of the finale. Here is an article on it (Warning, SPOILER ALERT, do not even think about clicking the link if you haven't seen it yet): http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/New-York-Daily-News-spoils-Breaking-Bad-with-front-page-coverage.html

Well, I'm glad I never watched that show and lived in New York on Monday :lol:

My hubby and I basically watch all our shows on On Demand or DVR, because we play so many video games and I work nights (they moved Person of Interest to after I leave for work this season :angry: ). But we do have a list of shows we like to watch together. There's actually a lot this year, we keep forgetting to watch them.

And then there's the shows that they play on cable all the time that we can just put it on and let it play (Big Bang Theory & BBC Top Gear, or some random nature program). But that's not often really. Usually one of us is playing a video game if we aren't watching TV or a movie.

I gave up on TV when:

The Discovery Channel became Hot Rod & Motorcycle with solid blocks of endless Mythbuster repeats

The History Channel became Reality TV, Astronaut Aliens, Bad Science Voodoo, CONSPIRACY!!11!1!!!

Pretty much every channel evolved to become every other channel. When "themed channels" began, I was interested. Not any more. I fail to see how Ice Road Truckers counts as historical programming.

TV betrayed me, so I cut the cord. Now all I hear is TV companies whining about how they're losing their pants. Let me find an onion, see if I can summon a tear.

• Like 3

I'd watch more TV if there wasn't so much poorly made cheap drivel on. Too much time is spent on 'reality' shows, 'talent' shows, chat shows and freak shows masquerading as documentaries. I don't for one second believe a show running with the title "Man with the 10-stone testicles"* is really interested in analysing his severe medical condition as it is going "look at his massive bollocks, give us ratings". It's hardly

From what I've gathered from my Twitter feed, Channel 4 in the UK was last night airing a programme called Sex Box, a show where two partners got into a white box, have sex, then discuss it with the audience.

*Other classics from the series include: The girl who cried blood, The man who ate his lover, Half ton son and Megatumour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bodyshock

Edited by Nocturne

"Reality" TV killed good TV. If I could pay for just the channels I actually watch, I would, then I wouldn't be burdened by 500+ channels of schlock. I've gone without TV before, and could do so again, because the shows I enjoy I can find on the interwebs, but my hubby likes having cable.