You haven't seen...WHAT?!?

Ellyria

1. Why do I even bother proof-reading my posts? Immediately after posting I always notice some mistake my flailing fingers make and have to go back in and edit. 2. Also Re: Cutting the Cord Awsome wife and I went without cable for a couple of years, until we found out that Game of Thrones was being made by HBO. Thanks GRRM, your awesome books cost me more money than I want to think about over the last couple of seasons. Thinking about biting the bullet and cutting the cord again. Looking on Amazon, seasons of the shows we watch are only ~$30 each. For the 5-7 shows we watch, that is only a couple months worth of cable.

Editied due to point 1 above.

Edited by Dilvish the Deliverer
  • Like 1

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Dogfights, but that only ran two seasons. That could have been an awesome show once it had time enough to expand beyond mostly american pilots. I didn't complain about the americanocentric approach in the beginning, because it is an american produced show on an american channel. If it helped get viewers, fine.

But maybe it didn't.

Anyway, if it had gone 5 seasons maybe they would have at least got to some RAF and ANZACs.

Also the phrase "I like Dogfights" got me in trouble with some animal lovers once or twice. "No, no... not dog dogfights, airplane dogfights! Neeeerrrrrroooowwwwww, ratatatatatatat. Yes? No hit me."

It makes me sad that everybody knows who Michael Jordan is, but if you say Erich Hartmann they think you mean the fat kid from South Park.

I liked Dogfights, but that only ran two seasons. That could have been an awesome show once it had time enough to expand beyond mostly american pilots. I didn't complain about the americanocentric approach in the beginning, because it is an american produced show on an american channel. If it helped get viewers, fine.

But maybe it didn't.

Anyway, if it had gone 5 seasons maybe they would have at least got to some RAF and ANZACs.

Also the phrase "I like Dogfights" got me in trouble with some animal lovers once or twice. "No, no... not dog dogfights, airplane dogfights! Neeeerrrrrroooowwwwww, ratatatatatatat. Yes? No hit me."

It makes me sad that everybody knows who Michael Jordan is, but if you say Erich Hartmann they think you mean the fat kid from South Park.

This. I actually bought my dad the Dogfights DVD collection a few years back for his birthday. Great show. I'm American, and pretty biased, but I would also liked to have seen more on the RAF or those crazy De Haviland Mosquito pilots. I won't complain though, because the episode they did on the Battle of Leyte Gulf is probably my favorite. Commander Ernest E. Evans had some big brass ones, I don't care what anyone says. Anyone who will take a destroyer at flank speed into an entire Japanese Battle Group to get a torpedo solution gets my respect.

Two shows I love, but I'm probably in the minority: The Greatest American Hero and Steven Spielberg's Amazing Stories.

"Believe it or not, I'm walking on air" ^_^

If you're interested in the Battle of Leyte Gulf, I strongly recommend "The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors". It's quite well written and does an excellent job telling the stories.

This is actually on my to-read list. I don't read as much non-fiction as I should. I am currently re-reading "The Cat from Hue." Once I finish it I will move on to "Tin Can Sailors."

This weekend I watched "Now You See Me" and "Star Trek: Into Darkness." I enjoyed, and recommend both. I'm not the hugest fan of Pine as Kirk, but I certainly like him better than I did Shatner for the most part. Cumberbatch as Khan did a good job. As for "Now You See Me" I've never been a big fan of Woody Harrelson until lately. Several of his more recent movies have made me appreciate him as an actor. Also, I think Mark Ruffalo is pretty underrated, and the girl from "Inglourious Basterds" did a good job as well.

Cheers.

• Like 1

I did not like Star Trek: Into Darkness. I didn't hate it, my dislike doesn't rise to the level of rage seen on the internet, which gets amplified to ridiculous levels thanks to the echo chamber of online forums, but it was very deeply flawed as a movie. Worst Trek movie ever? I don't think people making that type of claim have seen the other movies, or are viewing through rose coloured glasses tinted with time.

The cast however, deserves none of the blame. Chris Pine has really grown on me as captain. I don't like that they changed "my" Captain Kirk into a rebel with daddy issues, but the change did allow Pine to make the role his own. Quinto is great as Spock, Saldana is beautiful and talented (though I'd like to see a bigger focus on her and Bones), Urban is note perfect as Bones (I want to call him underrated, but he does get a lot of genre work, so I don't know that's fair, but man, he is talented. He is the Law), and Cho and Pegg both work well (even if Pegg is more like Pegg than Scotty, he's still fun and delivers the humor he was hired for).

I don't even blame the lens flares or J.J. Abrams in general. His action scenes are generally fun and watchable. The flaws are subtle but disturbing and overwhelming in their numbers. Why are the cadets still still running a Federation Flagship? Why is that other ship so much bigger and seemingly advanced beyond the still newly commisioned Enterprise? Why is gravity such a problem when they are on a ship in freefall itself? Why do they even have starships when they can transport anything with pinpoint accuracy to the other size of the universe? Why why why...I could spend more time typing than it took to watch the movie.

The thing is, I can overlook a flaw or two to tell a good story. The Enterprise hiding underwater? Silly, sure, but it made for a cool graphic as it burst from the water. In the Avengers, when all the aliens seemingly shut down like they were the droid army on Naboo? Dumb, and a much bigger flaw, but an already long movie needed an ending. But ST:ID just had too many, and it took me out of the movie too many times.

Really, the biggest problem for me was the "nod" to Wrath of Khan. It felt forced and unearned, and just traded on the memories of the old movie.

• Like 1

I went into it not expecting much. I am not a huge Trek fan. I like ST:NG much better than I do the original series. And to be honest I don't care for most of the original movies. "The Wrath of Khan" is probably my favorite. I don't care for the remake as much as I did the performances of the particular actors/actresses. The only one I don't truly care for is the lady they have playing Dr. Marcus.

• Like 1