You haven't seen...WHAT?!?

Ellyria

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not surprised you'd see it more with music. There's a LOT more of it out there, and a lot of different styles/genres/types. Music has been made since time immemorial, while movies have only existed for the last century or so.

Where you grew up, who you group with and around, when you grew up - it would all have an influence on what you heard as a kid. Of course as you get older you can discover a whole world's worth of music, but you have to look. Most people seem to find one or two genres/decades/artists they like and focus their musical tastes there.

Talking about Zeppelin and Hendrix, you're talking about bands that were in their prime almost 50 years ago, and haven't made anything new in 40 years or more. Sabbath isn't much better. I'm not surprised you're encountering people who aren't familiar with them.

Ask people about Benny Goodman, or Cab Calloway. Duke Ellington. Vivaldi. Tchaikovsky. Grieg.

Count the blank stares. All were huge in their day. And still are, in their own circles.

• Like 1

I feel that way about Pink Floyd.

My dad is big into Pink Floyd, so I listened to quite a lot. It's not quite my vibe either. There are a handful of songs that I like okay, but the rest are just kinda eh for me.

80's music, on the other hand...good stuff. ^_^

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

About 90% of the comments I make here I stop and think "will anyone outside England get this reference?" before hitting post.

I almost ended a post with "BOOM BOOM" earlier and had to remind myself that Basil Brush isn't a thing most people will be aware of.

• Like 1

..... He also changed some pretty serious plot points, and in doing so he altered at least one character so badly that, to me at least, he no longer resembled the character in the book. ....

We're talking about Faramir here aren't we... changing Faramir into a slightly-less-effective Boromir, instead of the highly moral character he was, was an act of great evil on Jackson's part...

Of course, if we're not talking about Faramir, please ignore me!

On topic, great list, Ellyria! But I would have to add 'Jaws' to it.

cheers

Michael

• Like 2

I've had so many people give me ::o: followed by "You haven't seen Firefly?!?!?!? You HAVE to see it, it's so awesome!!11!1!!1!! *foams at the mouth*" reaction that it's totally turned me off to wanting to watch it. <_<

This, expanded to read, play, eat, wharever is why I hate everything, why it takes me 5 years to get around to something, and why most people's suggestions I ignore as noise.

Well, that and the alarmingly loose definition of "good".

People are way too pushy when they like something. Puts me right off. May even explain my eternal loathing for everything Joss Whedon. I may have otherwise enjoyed it.

ETA - But a tiny fraction of people can pique my extreme interest by merely saying they enjoyed something.

ETA 2 - That happened with Anne Lamott. A very special somebody mentioned casually that she liked her work and 24 hours later I had all her books.

Edited by buglips*the*goblin

What do you hate about them?

I thought he did an amazing job of putting what I imagined in my head onto the big screen.

Jackson Hollywoodified them.

He had to cut massive amounts of book out to fit the stories into movies. I understand that.

But then, with no room to spare, he added stuff -- and every last bit of it was all crummy cliches and horrid movie tropes.

Between the complete undermining of some very deep characters, the stupid additions, and the ridiculously long, lovingly dwelt-on battle scenes (which the books kept brief, making clear they were nothing more than distractions from the actual important actions), Jackson turned these movies from Tolkien's work into a bunch of generic (if high budget, high excitement, and high special effects) Hollywood fantasy movies.

• Like 2

I'm not surprised you'd see it more with music. There's a LOT more of it out there, and a lot of different styles/genres/types. Music has been made since time immemorial, while movies have only existed for the last century or so.

Where you grew up, who you group with and around, when you grew up - it would all have an influence on what you heard as a kid. Of course as you get older you can discover a whole world's worth of music, but you have to look. Most people seem to find one or two genres/decades/artists they like and focus their musical tastes there.

Talking about Zeppelin and Hendrix, you're talking about bands that were in their prime almost 50 years ago, and haven't made anything new in 40 years or more. Sabbath isn't much better. I'm not surprised you're encountering people who aren't familiar with them.

Ask people about Benny Goodman, or Cab Calloway. Duke Ellington. Vivaldi. Tchaikovsky. Grieg.

Count the blank stares. All were huge in their day. And still are, in their own circles.

That's like half my CD collection in that last paragraph.

• Like 4

I'm not surprised you'd see it more with music. There's a LOT more of it out there, and a lot of different styles/genres/types. Music has been made since time immemorial, while movies have only existed for the last century or so."

Plus we are all geeks here.

We agree on a lot of the the best fantasy and sci-fi media. and we agree that they are worth debating.

(Now Im going to go look up iron monkey on netflicks, im pretty sure i have seen it in passing)

We aren't debating the best Carey Grant movie, Buster Keton's triumphs or

the relative merits of the Friday or Medea franchises.

I also have huge wholes in my musical knowledge and I'm okay with that, I have learned more about classical music in the handful of years since my daughter was born then in my life before that point. She likes going to sleep listening to classical music CDs.

Edited by Evilhalfling

See - I heard and read a lot of the same Firefly hype. I watched it, and own the DVDs. It's good. It's enjoyable. It's NOT (IMO) the best show in the history of forever.

Of course not - we barely got a prologue with Firefly. Imagine if there had been another 5 seasons of it with ample time to explore all of the characters' histories and personalities.

Firefly was like being shown the first 45 minutes of Star Wars:ANH then having it shut off for good.

• Like 2

I came into Firefly relatively late, way after all the hype. I quite like it. I don't think it's the best TV show evar (that's Magnum P.I.), but I really do enjoy it.

@Lovejoy Faramir wasn't the character I was talking about, it was actually Aragorn, but you make a great point. I had actually blocked Faramir out of mind subconsciously. He was one of the more interesting characters in the LoTR. In the movies...well less said about it the better.

I'm a very strongly opinionated person. I realize that sometimes I may come off hateful. That is not ever my intention. I don't judge anyone on what they love. I have such eclectic taste in everything, and I know that many of you do as well, that I realize I'm in no position to judge. My literary tastes run the gamut. I read pretty much anything that's not romance. I'm the same with music. One minute I'm listening to Janis Joplin or John Prine, the next the Platters or Tchaikovsky. And movies, I have a love affair with movies. I love cinema.

Oh, and on Pink Floyd, I think you had to have grown up with MTV (back when they played music) to truly appreciate the sublime awesomeness of "Learning to Fly" which is a gateway Floyd song, it leads to Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and others.

The LoTR movies taught me that if a movie has been made based on a book I really liked as a kid, my options are:

A) Don't see the movie, because there is absolutely no way it will be equal to what exists in your imagination and memory. So what, really, is the point?

B) See the movie, accept that it is going to be a failure, but definitely don't re-read the book beforehand, because that will just make it worse and ruin any possible enjoyment you might eke from the experience. It's self-sabotage. You will sit there nit-picking everything with a mental checklist (Wha ... where's the barrow-wight, and Tom Bombadil?) and you won't really be watching the movie, just imposing a kind of distracting double-vision on it. It was immediately obvious from Fellowship that this wasn't going to be a definitive version of the books. But it took me until the third movie to learn not to re-read beforehand. I knew by then that since it wouldn't be like the books, and if I was going to watch and have a good time, it should be on its own terms, so don't re-read beforehand. Clear your head. Enjoy the giant elephants. Experience a bit of awe, the way you did when you were transported by the Bakshi version as a kid.

I was pretty critical of them when they came out, but now I love those movies, in large part because I love the New Zealand landscape, and the romance, and the fun, and the melodrama, and Jackson's sense of humor. And I should state for the record that I am an old crank, massively opinionated about movies in particular, and furthermore aware that I'm not doing myself any favors by being an opinionated old crank.

Cheers.

• Like 3