You haven't seen...WHAT?!?

Ellyria

I hate Monty Python. Seems like something I would have liked if it hadn't been beaten to death before I had a chance to explore it. Now the legacy of almost three decades of endless quoting have so exhausted me that a mere single utterance means immediate lifetime expulsion from my game. No exceptions.

Help! Help! I'm being repressed! :devil:

IMO, each of the Python movies was about 15 minutes of brilliance crammed tightly into 90 minutes of film. By the end of any given scene, each of the one – three jokes had been beaten into the dirt, resurrected, killed again, then pounded flat for easy pedestrian access. But many of those jokes were really quite good the first time.

• Like 2

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Banned for life!

Anybody else wanna be a hero?

Ooh, undead hero! Works for me.

It's not a movie, but I am constantly shocked that more people haven't watched Red Dwarf! I mean, it helps I share the same name as the most awesome space bum ever, but still....

-Dave

Not a show I could tolerate much, and a classic case for, "Yes, I understand British humor. It's just not very funny."

But I'm glad you like it, bless your heart*. :devil:

* That probably only works if you know enough Southern US idiom.

• Like 4

Banned for life!

Anybody else wanna be a hero?

Ooh, undead hero! Works for me.

It's not a movie, but I am constantly shocked that more people haven't watched Red Dwarf! I mean, it helps I share the same name as the most awesome space bum ever, but still....

-Dave

Not a show I could tolerate much, and a classic case for, "Yes, I understand British humor. It's just not very funny."

But I'm glad you like it, bless your heart*. :devil:

* That probably only works if you know enough Southern US idiom.

I do, but I promise I won't be offended. :)

As Will Scarlet O'Hara said, "We from Georgia..."

The first few series of Red Dwarf were excellent, the later ones went badly downhill in my opinion. Series 7 or 8 I think, whenver Kochaniski came into it as a regular.

Couldn't disagree more. Red Dwarf simply got better and better (and they actually let the characters *age* - series 9 has Lister at nearly 40 years old)

[ ... ]

IMO, each of the Python movies was about 15 minutes of brilliance crammed tightly into 90 minutes of film. By the end of any given scene, each of the one – three jokes had been beaten into the dirt, resurrected, killed again, then pounded flat for easy pedestrian access. But many of those jokes were really quite good the first time.

There is something very British about repeating/enjoying the same joke over and over. Python footage is not the only British comedic effort where this happens. The joke told often is funnier still.. or something.

That trademark grinding / wheezing / dying calliope noise† the Tardis insists on making as it materializes, is a bit of a joke isn't it? ...one that has been running for decades.

(A Hyper advanced time travel technology that sounds like some 19th century steam powered contraption that is about to burst?)

• Like 1

I may see RUSH in theatre if I can find one not showing it in migrainevision.

Beyond the Lighted Stage? We are talking about the best thing to come out of suburban Toronto since, well, ever, right (except maybe Tim Horton's not sure where that came out of exactly)

as for Monty Python, I loved much of what I saw from them, the first time 'round. Being named Tim, I still have to sometimes quote Tim the Enchanter, and once in awhile "tis just a flesh wound" pops out after someone takes a critical hit in games. And I must admit, I have been using the arrow sound, followed by "message for you sir" as my text message sound for quite a long time, but you know, I really don't care if I never watch it again. (please buggy, don't ban me for life, can we just settle for throwing things at my head?)

• Like 1

There is something very British about repeating/enjoying the same joke over and over. Python footage is not the only British comedic effort where this happens. The joke told often is funnier still.. or something.

Ahh, yes. The incomprehensible subtlety of a blow to the head with a sledgehammer. It's a good thing Brits are so discerning. <_<

That trademark grinding / wheezing / dying calliope noise† the Tardis insists on making as it materializes, is a bit of a joke isn't it? ...one that has been running for decades.

†(A Hyper advanced time travel technology that sounds like some 19th century steam powered contraption that is about to burst?)

At this point, I think that's more tradition than an attempt at comedy, though it might well be that the sound effect was originally intended to be comedic.

Alternatively, it's possible that in the early days of the show that sound was the best the BBC could manage. I think their special effects budget was around 8 and 4 per show and most of that was taken up with buying cardboard boxes for robots.