You haven't seen...WHAT?!?

Ellyria

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And completely unrelated but since y'all are music geeks, this is my favorite thing ever.

If I hadn't already friended you, I would go friend you right now. It's like you're reading my mind or something! :D I just recently discovered Imagine Dragons, and Lindsey Stirling is among my musical favs. Those plus epic almost-acapella? I went and bought the song before I'd even finished listening to your link. My inner musician thanks you. :D

Labyrinth is a classic. :) Add to that Willow and The Dark Crystal, good times.

The 1977 (not the horrid 1978 version) animated Hobbit is still one of my very favorite movies of all time. :wub: Regarding the new version, I decided going into it that I would treat the book and the movie as two distinctly separate things in my mind, and I was much happier. By considering it more "inspired by" than "based on," I was able to keep my internal nerd-rage to a minimum. :)

Ooo, and I have to add in The Last Unicorn. It wasn't until YEARS later that I found the book it's based on, and was rather startled at how very very closely the movie had followed it, to the point of lifting whole sections of dialogue verbatim.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

I may see RUSH in theatre if I can find one not showing it in migrainevision.

I refuse to watch a movie shown on 3-D... If I wanted 3-D, I would go to a play or outdoor performance, you know, REAL 3-D. That, along with the fact that 3-d movies gives me a serious headache that can last for days.....

It doesn't enhance the experience for me. It distracts and makes me ill. My top 2 movies (Memento and Amadeus) need neither CGI nor 3D to be amazing. Inception, however, is a master class in how to use new tools properly.

• Like 3

I sort of lost track of this thread...

Has anyone mentioned the animated film, Rock and Rule? I recorded it off cable when I was a kid and watched it till the tape wore out. Post-world Rock n Roll with mutants. It's hard to beat that. Plus the bad guys songs are done by Iggy Pop. Classy.

I have the DVD in my rather too large unwatched pile. I'm working my way through it, just got past classics like Damnation Alley and Hell Comes to Frogtown.

Edited by Nocturne

3D also makes me sick. I have a migraine level headache by the end of the experience. It saddens me when a movie I want to see is shown only in 3D. I really enjoyed Dredd, but I see absolutely no reason that it should have been in 3D. I didn't watch it until after it hit Blu-Ray.

The Last Unicorn is a great book, and the movie isn't bad. I recently bought a DVD 3 pack of The Dark Crystal/Labyrinth/Mirrormask.

Bakshi's 1978 adaptation of LoTR isn't great (still better than Jackson's imo), but you have to give him props. Bakshi tried a lot of things in his work that I think were pretty interesting. His work is underrated in my opinion. One common thread that has always annoyed me a bit in all the LoTR adaptations ever made is that Glorfindel consistently gets hosed. In Bakshi he was replaced with Legolas. In Jackson he got replaced with the mouth breather...I mean Liv Tyler.

• Like 1

I really enjoyed Dredd, but I see absolutely no reason that it should have been in 3D. I didn't watch it until after it hit Blu-Ray.

Dredd is one of the very few films I can kinda accept it with because it's used for the Slo-Mo scenes so it builds into the drug induced effects. I still prefer it without but at least they were using it for a specific reason, not just throwing it all over the place.

Also Dredd is a film that really should be seen.

• Like 2

I don't like 3D, but I sort of understand when a movie is filmed specifically in 3D to achieve a visual effect. Avatar springs to mind, though I'm not really as enamored of it as everyone else I know. It really irritates me when they add 3D after the fact. To my mind that's just a way for them to tack more on to the already stupidly overpriced ticket cost.

I don't see Akira on anyone's list here.

• Like 1

3D is the ultimate example of the difference between a tool and a gimmick.

Essentially the same thing was said about adding sound and then about adding color to movies.

But I agree with you anyway, at least for all the movies I've seen. Perhaps in the future someone will make a movie where 3D is essential to the experience, but I haven't seen it so far.

• Like 1