You haven't seen...WHAT?!?

Ellyria

And completely unrelated but since y'all are music geeks, this is my favorite thing ever.

If I hadn't already friended you, I would go friend you right now. It's like you're reading my mind or something! :D I just recently discovered Imagine Dragons, and Lindsey Stirling is among my musical favs. Those plus epic almost-acapella? I went and bought the song before I'd even finished listening to your link. My inner musician thanks you. :D

Labyrinth is a classic. :) Add to that Willow and The Dark Crystal, good times.

Ooo, and I have to add in The Last Unicorn. It wasn't until YEARS later that I found the book it's based on, and was rather startled at how very very closely the movie had followed it, to the point of lifting whole sections of dialogue verbatim.

Haha, that's exactly the reaction I had too the first time I saw it. Glad I could share the love.

Oh my gosh! When I was a baby, we had about 10 movies on Betamax and I watched either The Dark Crystal or The Last Unicorn every day. I loved them so much.

Babylon 5 anyone?

Yes. And Stargate, Farscape, etc.

Another horror movie I quite enjoy, though I'm not sure it's exactly horror, is Fallen.

I love "not quite horror" movies. Fallen, The Skeleton Key, Sixth Sense, The Village...

Edited by Ellyria

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any of you like older movies, and by that I mean Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, etc?

Are you kidding? I nearly filled my britches with liquid when I heard some of the lost Metropolis footage had been found. Sadly, nobody else I know was nearly as excited. Or even knew the importance of being able to restore most of Fritz Lang's vision.

They were all like "but that's old and looks like crap compared to today" and "it doesn't make any sense". Sometimes I feel like a pilgrim in an unholy land.

• Like 5

They were all like "but that's old and looks like crap compared to today" and "it doesn't make any sense". Sometimes I feel like a pilgrim in an unholy land.

A bit surprised at an unwillingness to embrace the unwashed masses.

My daughter, about 2 at the time, insisted on watching Metropolis repeatedly for a while when it seemed new to Netflix (even when offered cartoons -- she'd pick the robot out of the instant play list).

What about Ultraman! Japanese Sci Fi from the 70s....

Pretty much any Godzilla movie.

and for TV Shows.... Pettycoat Junction, Green Acres, and Airwolf.... even NCIS gave Airwolf the nod when Tony used Stringfellow as an alias...

Oh, and pretty much any of Bill Murray's older stuff... Meatballs! where "IT JUST DOESN'T MATTER!"

Slightly off topic but I absolutely adore retro video games and was pleasantly surprised at how well all my favorite Super NES games' graphics still hold up today.

• Like 4

Thought of a couple more to add. It might be nostalgia talking, but I have fond memories of Mother Goose, Rock and Rhyme. I watched it for days on end and loved it to bits. Another is Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure. It's ridiculous and over-the-top and good fun to watch.

Do any of you like older movies, and by that I mean Jimmy Stewart, Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, etc?

I do! I can't think of any specific titles off the top of my head (except for Breakfast at Tiffany's), but I've thoroughly enjoyed every one I've seen. ::):

Slightly off topic but I absolutely adore retro video games and was pleasantly surprised at how well all my favorite Super NES games' graphics still hold up today.

Eh, we're in the Off Topic Rampancy section, and you're the one who started the thread anyways. :upside: I've still got an SNES around and still pull it out from time to time. I think my favorites are still the Donkey Kong games, mostly due to their shiny graphics and most excellent music.

Continuing on the subject of retro video games, my parents still have their Atari, so my siblings and I grew up with the likes of Frogger and Phoenix and Joust (that game is ridiculously hilarious). :wub:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 3

The last time I did a CPI inflation calculation for the Atari 2600 Pac-Man at initial retail, it came out to over $120 in today's money.

This was in response to some young'uns complaining about how expensive games were today for what you got. No, you don't have it bad. Back in my day we paid twice as much to have a poorly-rendered blob go around a cheap maze going BONK BONK BONK.

Also, E.T. gets a bad rap but it's not really that bad. It has logical tasks to complete, and an end. At any rate, it's still a lot better than the wholly-incomprehensible Raiders of the Lost Ark. (Particularly if you didn't have the manual)

We played outside a lot because there was only so much enjoyment to be wrung from an Atari.

• Like 2

I think my favorites are still the Donkey Kong games, mostly due to their shiny graphics and most excellent music.

My parents still have their Atari, so my siblings and I grew up with the likes of Frogger and Phoenix and Joust (that game is ridiculously hilarious). :wub:

Okay, I'm pretty sure we're long lost twins, separated at birth.

• Like 1