In case you haven't seen this....

red5angel

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how it works...

Terra Nova has no standing water... The whole planet is one big land mass (the water sources are subterranean). Two temperate zones, North and South, seperated by a large equitorial desert region, The Bad Lands.

These landships are the Terra Novan equivalent to a normal surface navy.

These bad boys are quite impressive.

It is impressive, and must be really impressive 'in the flesh'. I especially liked the look of the Gear Bay, and think it'd be cool to have one for CAV's.

Suppose we'll have to wait for someone to have the time and inclination to make one.... I'd be tempted but I know it'd never work right so I ain't gonna even try :o)

Terra Nova has no standing water... The whole planet is one big land mass (the water sources are subterranean). Two temperate zones, North and South, seperated by a large equitorial desert region, The Bad Lands.

Well thats not QUITE true, since there are multiple openings to the water network scattered about (some the size of small seas requiring a blue water navy).

I'm glad that HG is getting some publicity. The game system is very, very cool, and I think it would appeal to ex-military types (or just military buffs) as a lot of it is more realistic than FREX Battletech. The overall setting is not as epic, unfortunately...

Damon.

Well thats not QUITE true, since there are multiple openings to the water network scattered about (some the size of small seas requiring a blue water navy).

I stand corrected... The standing water is probably in the South (thus the reason for the submersible Gears).

I'm glad that HG is getting some publicity. The game system is very, very cool, and I think it would appeal to ex-military types (or just military buffs) as a lot of it is more realistic than FREX Battletech. The overall setting is not as epic, unfortunately...

Yeah... HG is a really cool game. Try as I might though, I couldn't get anyone local to play it... I'd get guys in the convention circuit to play, but, in the FLGS circuit... No Go.

Shame really.

to add to the water vs land debate. There are a few bodies of water, on eof the most famous in the south (can't remember the name offhand but it's a sort of Vegas type area) but as BL pointed out, most of the water is beneath the surface, which makes for some cool sceanarios anyway.

BL2 - I have had in the past a similar problem to you but I am starting to push a little more for it by being subtle. I play it regularly at the local game stores and the local miniatures conventions and interest seems to be gradually picking up.

The Landships were cool and are certainly a manga ideal. There was a horrible manga called something like The Big War or something and the earth forces had huge landships there as well.

Hey Red

I did order a Strike Cadre from the Southern Militia; though I don't know jack about them. I'm just assuming this is sort of a basic assault force with a mix of abilities?

could you give me a standard unit layout for HG. so I can decide to what extent I'll get troops?

hmmmmm, well, I am building my Southern Force up right now and this is what I am going with:

2 x Strike Cadre

1 x Fire Support Cadre

3 x Airborne Strike Cadre

3 x Naga Strider

On paper most Southern units are "pure" meaning they don't do a whole lot of mixing and matching. Detachments are common as combined arms is extremely integral to the HG way of combat.

A Strike Cadre is a good start. You can get yourself a strider as well and maybe some infantry to get a feel for how units intermix.

If you check out these books:

http://www.dp9.com/Products/dp9-048.htm

http://www.dp9.com/Products/DP9-046.HTM

You wil get all the info you need. These books can usually be found in the used bin at your lgs if they have one.

That's the great thing about Heavy Gear and what I think will appeal to you KAMUT, they have a ton, I mean a ton of info on organization and unit behaviour. It's really well organized.

Keep in mind there are no big differences between Northern and Southern forces equipment wise. The North runs a little heavier then the South ins some respects, their Striders are certainly heavier by far then Southern Striders, and they have a larger number of heavier gears, the South has the Cobra series and it's variants and has chosen to go more medium weight.

Earth forces are built more aorund tanks and GREL infantry then anything else but they have their battleframes.

Got a little information on those southern forces for you KAMUT.

First we can work from the Gear Cadre level. A Southern Cadre is typically from 3-5 vehicles.

Gear Regiments typically have a General Purpose Element, a Recon Element and a Fire Support Element. this pretty much breaks down into all levels of organization where even down to the Cadre level you may have 2 Jagers (GP), a Iguana (Recon) 1 BLack Mamba and 1 Cobra (Fire Support).

Special units can also contain Strike elements - designed to break through enemy lines and hold positions. Some units may also contain commando elements and generally speaking the Southern Milicia is pretty flexible in the way you can build forces.

I recommend you go iwth the standard first, 1 GP, 1 Strike or Recon and 1 Fire Support.

Striders are organized in groups of 3 as are most vehicle units. A group of Striders are cool but I recommend one or two for staters when you can.

As for infantry and such, 10 man Escoudes are the basic element and tossing a few in should work well for combined arms.

I can always appreciate flexibility.

I was looking at two strike Cadre and a fire support element. but me being a big fan of infantry, how would I be able to incorporate that into a Gear element?

I like some of the armor too.

I haven't even looked into striders yet, but most certainly I can see a strider unit.