In case you haven't seen this....

red5angel

All these Northern Militia guys, dang

OK, looks like Serpentine Fire has double duty. bear in mind, I may need a few months to get this troop in shape.

I hang out in Easton a lot; my best friend Marv Lister AKA "Pharoah Q" along with most his family live there, you probably know them or about them. They're all huge into DJing and I do a lot of rhymes for them. (D Cruz) His brother Mike, Will and Alonzo are all into the music (Mixmaster Mike Nice, don't remember what Will calls himself these days, and DJ Kollage)

I'm probably going there either this weekend or the next.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damon - if you haven't tried it I suggest using a simple pattern breaker paint scheme. I thought my southern scheme was going to be hard but it turns out that scale is actually pretty forgiving. It certainly helps if you go with a more organic scheme. The other thing is that flat tans, browns, greys and greens are common enough that with a solid base coat and decal application they will look as good!

Hey KAMUT, looking through some of my books last night and I highly suggest you pick up the Southern Milicia army book and the Southern Gears and Striders book. They have the stats for all the variants, and I know you like variants, and they have special abilities that can be purchased for certain kinds of units and levels of performance that help to flesh out units.

Yeah, Red

once the Strike Cadre come in, that'll probably be the next "aquisition". this week is a little rough, I actually have 8 blisters of Naginatas coming in, so there goes my allotment for this week.

the variants would be nice, especially where the Naga's are concerned. So I can tailor them for urban combat. I might switch up at least one gear from each strike Cadre with something from the fire support types, only I'm not too sure at the moment what that may be.

Something with a heavier/long range weapon beyond the typical strike cadre. I would use this in the same capacity as a SAW gunner is used in a fire team.

at the moment only two Southern Militia tanks are available model wise; they look OK, I guess but I like something with a lower target profile and "modern look", sort of how the Abrams or Leopard was designed.

either way, I'll probably get 2 of each to fill my armor requirements, though I 'm not sure of the abilities of either, so that might change.

Damon - if you haven't tried it I suggest using a simple pattern breaker paint scheme. I thought my southern scheme was going to be hard but it turns out that scale is actually pretty forgiving. It certainly helps if you go with a more organic scheme. The other thing is that flat tans, browns, greys and greens are common enough that with a solid base coat and decal application they will look as good!

That's easy enough to do...I've been a military modeller for the last 20 years or so (since I was 8!) so camo patterns are very, very familiar to me. The problem, however, is doing the specific Northern Guard Badlands patters (which is a splinter scheme) at this scale; its nearly impossible for me to do straight lines! I had an idea of using painted decal sheet, but haven't tried it in a while...

The Southern Badlands scheme is much, much easier...

Damon.

On Variants: Most variants play on strengths of the unit. There are some standard variants across the board. Almost all Gears and Striders have an ECCM type variant usually "Chatterbox" types. Same with heavy Strike type units, most Models have a triker Variant. Some have more specialized variants, I know the iguana has a "faster" variant that uses bigger off-road tires for its secondary mode of movement, I think it's called the Racer Iguana. The Cobra model has a couple of heavy mortar type variants that are sort of cool as well.

For Fire support on your Strike Cadre I would go with a Spitting Cobra, if I remember it has a mortar and a heavy autocannon. Flexible enough for a Strike Cadre in my opinion. You could also consider a Brawler Mamba Variant they have that grenade launcher which can be useful.

On tanks - The visigoth is probably the mightiest machine on the battlefield, it's firepower is awesome but it's vulnerable to flanking attacks since it's so slow. You play the game, and you use it you will be impressed at both how effective it is and how vulnerable it is to lighter faster flanking units. The lighter tank is a good half way point and although I plan on buying a unit of them I have a feeling I will be using Striders in their place for the most part.

If I may make a suggestion, start with 1 Visigoth and 2 Huns and see how it goes from there.

I personally have plans to create a 2 Gear "sniper" Cadre consisting of the Snake Eye Black Mamba and some sort of ECCM support gear to carry ammo and coverthe trail......

No reason you couldn't do it. The Snake Eye Black Mamba is a stealth variant. IT uses advanced stealth tech to make it nearly undetectable on the battlefield. I figure combine that with a Gear taht can help conceal it a little more and you got a great team. I didn't want to put together a 5 Gear Cadre for a sniper team so I went with the USMC setup.

There is however no reason you couldn't do one of several things:

A.) give the Iguana the laser sniper rifle the Snake Eye carries

B.) Convert the Snake Eye to go para

c.) Convert an Iguana to carry the stealth tech and call it the Snake Eye Iguana.

Conversions are easy to do. Purchase a weapons pack or two and away you go. For the Snake Eye iguana, all you really have to do is cut the vents off the V engine, glue the laser rifle onto the arm and paint it black and there you go.

That's the other nice thing about having variants based on the same chassis, conversions are quick and easy!

I'm going to be rigging up an electronics suite with some wire and putty to stick on a few gears for my ECCM units. shouldn't take me more then about 20 minutes per gear.

That's a strength of CAV too, all the models are modular for quick modifications.

Well, nothing if you want to go that far. Technically the tech is extremely rare, and there are some flaws in it that make the stuff expensive and a gamble. I'v never heard of steath tanks and the like but I don't see why not. Generally the fluff indicates that the Snake Eye Black Mambas are few and far between and only go to the best pilots for the most important missions, that sort of thing. If you went that direction you will most likley not be Southern Milicia but more a part of the Southern Republic Army.

Personally it's one of those things where its like why not take all the largest Gears and dominate my enemy that way? The points costs are prohibitive, and there are cheaper ways of doing it that are reflected in the army organizations, you don't see whole Cadres of King Cobras because they are expensive in terms of money and in terms of points in the game. that's why I decided to go with the Sniper team idea. That way I can have one in my force that makes sense (tagging one onto a Cadre of standard gears seems superfluous since their positons, etc would give the stealth gear away) and I didn't want a whole Cadre of them to avoid the "cheese" factor, especially since my unit is most certainly a Southern Milicia unit.

Absolutely I think any recon squad would benefit from it. I would even go so far as to say more "realisticially" and in line with eth fluff that you could go with a Southern Republic Army unit and create a full cadre of stealth gears. I don't thin it would be unreasonable, just keep in mind that they are certainly going to get more expensive.

Also keep in mind that once you get the Southern Milicia book, each type of cadre can get special abilities and while I can't remember of fhand what the options are for a Recon unit, it's most certainly related to stealth and infiltration.

I think I'm cool with the Recon stealth paratroopers, I'm even debating if I should go with 2 Snake Eye snipers, with another two iguana for observers. and a Jager paratrooper as a command unit, armed to the teeth.

The Strike Cadre, I think are fine. as planned.

I'm comfortable with the Naga, armor and mechanized infantry. maybe more infantry could be added later.

Overall, this organization seems solid enough, everything seems to work with everything else, so once I actually get the book, I'll see where I want the details to go.