Glowing Effect help

Hey everyone, I'm working on getting started with the first miniature I plan on using in a campaign. I've been practicing with various other minis and working up my skill with the brush and use of the paints. Well now I feel I'm ready, but I have a few questions in terms of a technique that I'm not familiar with, but would like to incorporate into the min.

First here is the mini in question:

post-12610-0-11907000-1379521870.jpg

So as you can see he has several potions and what I was thinking was to add a glowing effect (or at least the appearence of a glowing effect) to them. However, I'm not sure what the best way of going about this would be and was hoping someone on here might be able to better assist me. The colors I'm currently planning on using for the potions is 1 green potion, 1 redish yellow and the 3rd one is up in the air between blue or a violet/purple. Of course I'm willing to change the colors as needed though to make it all come together.

• Like 1
  • Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called OSL (object Source Lighting). Should get you started on a forum and/or on google (or whatever) search, since you really don't want my advice on this as my own attempts have been at least as disastrous as they have been infrequent.

If overdone, it just makes the mini itself look like it's glowing, rather than being lit by a glowing object it is carrying (ie. potions) that is part of the mini itself. Some of the online tutorials suffer from this effect, IMO - just something to watch out for.

If your guy's potions are in a position where they can light up the same parts of the mini as each other, the different coloured potion-glows you're planning should make this an interesting and challeging project!

Good luck,

Kang

OSL looks best (and easiest to do) when you start out with a bright, near white, color then use a Chroma intense color as a wash\glaze to tint the areas where you think the light would hit. The closer to the source the stronger the effect. It's not a super easy effect to pull off unless you're comfortable with certain techniques.

Here's a few articles http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/01/tutorial-object-source-lightning.html

Pigments make it way easy to do a basic effect but aren't the easiest to find quality wise. http://massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2011/10/tutorial-using-dayglow-colors.html

• Like 2

Hmmm...OSL definitely seems like it would be an interesting technique to perform, but I don't feel comfortable enough to try it on something that I'm going to be using a lot. I do have a lot of miniatures come in the next few days though so I'll have to practice it and see how I like the technique.

Perhaps what I should go for is less of a glow effect and maybe just go with a normal potion bottle. Which leads to another question is there a particularly useful technique for when it comes to painting a glass bottle?

Where is that mini from? It has a lot of character!

Dumb question here, while on a trip at Lowe's I saw they have glow-in-the-dark spray and brush on paints that have that glowing look to them. Has anyone experimented with them and would they potentially be a way to achieve said effect?

I think if you achieved any affect at all, it would only be when viewed in the dark. Probably not optimal. Good keeping an eye out though, hobby treasures are hidden everywhere!

Where is that mini from? It has a lot of character!

I was looking for a miniature for an alchemist with a considerably low charisma and stumbled onto Hell Dorado (The Alchemist being the name). I imediately changed the character's bio around so that he originates from Katapesh (an Arabian themed country in Pathfinder).

Thanks Wren, I'll take a look at the post. I only just now learned about the term being OSL so my searches weren't really pulling up to many results. The pics of your attempt definitely look awesome.