Sign in to follow this  
LittleBluberry

Trista conversion WIP

Recently my better half was inspired to dig out his Shackled City Adventure Path book, do some minor setting conversions and start up a Friday evening campaign. I decided to roll up a female paladin of Thor, which was fun because I haven't rolled up a new character in a while. It took me a few days to remember that I needed to paint a miniature for her. Whoops!

Looking through the Reaper catalog didn't produce a large number of female humans wielding war hammers. Especially if wearing normal clothing was also a requirement. Eventually I concluded that it was time to face my fear of conversions and do a simple weapon switch. Because the Trista sculpt was both so perfect for a paladin and in the box full of minis already in my house, she was the chosen candidate. Halbarand conveniently had a war hammer to donate to the cause. I figured if I was going to do a Bones conversion, I should do a WIP for the whole project to balance out how much time I spend just reading the forums.

I used OneBoot's sewing pin method of creating a hole to pin the war hammer on, because my quest to buy a pin vise at my FLGS ended up causing more problems that I haven't sorted out yet. Plus a heated safety pin was a very easy way to poke a hole in her small fist as well as the handle of the hammer.

post-12219-0-34141200-1379534668_thumb.jpg

I used a random jewelry making piece of wire that I already had, it was the right thickness and easy to cut. The only problem ended up being that some soot from my hot pin made the glue not stick to her hand right away. After a few tries I did succeed and now I'm the proud owner of a female paladin with a big, bad war hammer. ::D:

post-12219-0-13407600-1379534740_thumb.jpg

The shield isn't actually attached, I pried it off originally to make painting her easier. I'll glue it back later. Next I just need to paint her, which will be a learning experience for me. My attempt to paint Sir Forscale in Bones ended up obscuring a lot of detail, so I need to develop a lighter touch with the paint. Suggestions are welcome...

• Like 13

I look forward to seeing your conversion on this mini. She's a good looking female paladin.

For painting and not glooping too much on and obscuring details the suggestions you are likely to get are:

• Thin your paint with a little bit of water after the first coat, layering it up a little at a time
  • Put less paint on your brushes
  • Use the good brushes like Windsor & Newton sable brushes (yeah they make a HUGE difference).
  • Use good paints like Reaper, Vallejo, Citadel, P3, etc. The pigments are better and these paints are meant for the hobby of painting minis.
  • Use something to magnify what you are looking so you can see the details better yourself. I use a 2.5x magnification lens on a jewelers visor, but others use cheap reading glasses and other things.
  • Like 3

Looks good so far. I wish I'd had the sense to pop the shield off of mine.

I confess I totally stole the idea from the experience of others. I was also lucky that I was able to pry her shield off without too much fuss.

Now I just need to find a place with Kolinsky brushes in stock at a reasonable price... I've already got a ton of Reaper paint but I might pick up a P3 metallic or two. She's got a lot of armor and I think the Vallejo metallics I have are getting old and lumpy. (I'm not ready to start with NMM yet!)

• Like 1

Great job, it looks very good!!! It's nice that the hilt is the right size for the hammer. :D Congrats on your first conversion!

I echo everything ub3rn3rd said. I only recently went from Reaper brushes and unthinned paint to a Windsor & Newton Series 7 and thinning my paint slightly. Oh wow does it ever make a difference! A word of caution, though: the metallics I've tried thinning (with water) have all done weird things, so try it out on a piece of paper or the side of your palette first to see what happens. As for metallic paints, I've become a convert, heart and soul, to P3's metallic paints. They're gorgeous and shiny and give absolutely beautiful coverage. Reaper's metallics look sort of dull and satiny in comparison.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 2

The shield isn't actually attached, I pried it off originally to make painting her easier. I'll glue it back later.

What are you planning to use to glue the shield back on when you get to that point? Superglue (or an equivalent) works well (I used it for my Summer Exchange Vaeloth), but you'll probably also want to "pin" it to avoid having it "shear" off (Superglue is great at stopping things from being pulled apart, not so good when you try sliding things apart).

I know you bought a pin drill but there were some issues with it - did that get resolved?

The shield actually has a tab that slots in--it was designed to be glued together, it was just not done that well. So I'll use my slightly more premium superglue and put more effort into doing a good job than the factory did. The pin vise situation is resolved (Games & Gizmos in Redmond has been super helpful) but there just isn't enough to drill into with that shield, it's literally thinner than a standard credit card.

And while I haven't done any painting on Trista yet, I did some practice work on Sir Forscale to get the hang of thinning the paint appropriately and to practice a sort of ombre technique I want to do on her cloth. I'm going to start a mass show-off for the Bones we've done once I get some gloss issues sorted out.

• Like 1

You're off to a great start! And congrats on entering the exciting world of conversions; I love the additional, unique character that conversions add to my minis so much that I have a hard time NOT converting a mini these days. So, in other words, once you start down the dark path... :;):

Regarding brush advice, I cannot overemphasize how nice a good Kolinsky sable brush is! Finding them these days has been a bit of a pain, but fortunately there are a few options:

My personal highest recommendation for a brush is a Raphael 8404 size 0. They are superb brushes, and I was able to get 4 Raphael's from dickblick.com (a pretty good art supply website) just a couple weeks ago, so hopefully they are still in stock.

Raphaels and W&N's tend to be quite pricey, though, so I also highly recommend Citadel's line of paint brushes, especially if you are just learning to thin your paints. I know I experienced a major "wow" moment when I switched from using synthetic brushes to Citadel brushes (and then another "wow" moment when I switched to Raphael brushes years later), and I still consider my Citadel brushes to be nice and reliable. They are also fairly easy to find compared to some of the more expensive options.

Once again, she is looking great, and I can't wait to see how she turns out!

• Like 3

Okay, so I actually have been slowly working on my poor neglected Trista lately, and I'm kinda stumped about what color to paint a particular spot.  Here's a link of where she is at the moment.  (Forum gave me an error on my attempt to embed the photo and I can't remember how I got them in there before.)

So far I've done some simple basing, coated her in brown liner and roughed in some thin coats of base colors.  I attempted to do eyes and it wasn't going well so I put that on hold for the moment while I get more comfortable with how the paint and brushes feel. 

The armor is going to be steel metallic with gold accents, the hammer has it's base of bronze and the cloth is red.  Hair is blonde and the ground is black volcanic rock as per the setting.  Where I'm stuck is that little bit of leg that's showing between the armor pieces.  Other painters have just done it as armor, but  wanted her to be wearing chainmail not full plate.  I painted it with Vallejo GC khaki thinking that simple cloth or lightweight leather would be what she's wearing under the armor, but it's not feeling right yet.  Should I just soldier on and see how it looks with the proper armor color, or should I change it?  It needs at least a glaze of either a lighter tan or a light brown and I'm not sure what to do next. 

I've come to terms with the fact that she's going to be a tabletop job--a lot of the detail on the armor is super-shallow plus there are mold lines I totally missed that are bugging me.  But a painted mini on the table is better than an unpainted one on the shelf, right?

post-12219-0-52224400-1391114280_thumb.jpg

EDIT:  I think I've added the picture now, I was apparently not using the full editor or something. And yeah, I know the camera isn't kind, but I'm also out of practice.  Only way to fix that is to keep on going.  :)

Edited by LittleBluberry
  • Like 6

Can't see the pic, but if you want to add it to the forum you can just edit your post and click the "MORE REPLY OPTIONS" to the bottom right of the text box we type in. Then click on "Choose Files..." under the Attach Files and pick the pics you want and then when they are to the area below the text box you can "Add to Post" to the right and add them to your post.

Without being able to see the picture on my end, I can't really tell what area you are troubled with, but it's true that you can probably paint it as leather padding being worn under the chainmail.

We are our own worst critics, so as long as you are happy with being able to get her on the table and moving on to your next project that's all that matters.

• Like 1

Okay, quickly slapped a thin coat of Vallejo's Boltgun Metal on all the armor.  (Wow she has a lot of it!)  I'm planning on doing an ink wash to pick out the crevices followed by some P3 silver highlights.  The details will probably get a bit of gold to break up all that armor. 

Now that I can see it with the metallic, I'm thinking that a darker glaze on those legs to make the look like leather would be better than a lighter glaze to get to an unbleached cotton look.  (But I could be persuaded to consider other options.)

Any other color suggestions before I start working on touch-ups & textures?  I really like to block out a color scheme before I do a lot of the layers, etc.  (Helps simplify the touch-ups, although I'm getting a little tidier.)

post-12219-0-85440100-1391120003_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Glad to see you get the pics uploaded w/o any problems. Yeah, I agree with going leather or linen underneath. Whatever fits the rest of the figure as you envision her.

• Like 1

(I'm not ready to start with NMM yet!)

And you may not ever need to. Metallic paint has its own quirkiness, and don't ever let someone tell you that nmm is the only sign of true skill. Really nice metallics take just as much care as really nice nmm.

Congrats on a really nice conversion. Now that there's some paint over the seam, that hammer looks right at home. I love this model, so I'm excited to see where you take her. Looks good so far, so keep it going!

• Like 2