"Prototype" Plastic Miniatures question.

Caleb

So lately I have been going through the ebay sellers in china who sell factory seconds of DDM and Wizkids miniatures (sometimes dirt cheap and sometimes overpriced).

I have seen a couple of "Prototype" plain plastic miniatures. Are these anything special? They seem to be made of the same sort of plastic as the consumer ones.

I ordered a few of them and I plan to paint them over. However, I don't want to paint over them all if they might be collectable at all. Considering how many of them I see I would assume they aren't.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah either bootleg or possibly even counterfeit copies, however, it's possible they are legit and if they are, those "prototype" might end up being unique or rare. You'll have a lot of homework to do to find out if they are. If you can tell which company they were made for check out their page or forums for news about those minis, if nothing shows up you may have something unique. Possibly casts that they just decided they didn't want to mass produce. If you find the company plans to make them or already has them, they are probably fake copies or maybe even casts unfit for sale discared by the manufacturer, and collected by some employee hoping to make a few coins reselling. If they're dirt cheap, why not?

Edited by Leader of the Rats

Well I got the "goristro" Huge D&D miniature and it looks exactly like a regular wizards of the coast miniature but it's unpainted and made out of bluish gray plastic. It's even got the black plastic base which seems pretty authentic.

It's probably not a "prototype" but more likely just a regular miniature that didn't get painted for whatever reason. I don't think it's a bootleg because there aren't many of them for sale.

This looks to be the same thing but a different seller and it's much more expensive.

Yeah I don't think I am going to waste any more of my money on these even if they are cheap. If they aren't well known and collectable by now then they aren't anything special. I am happy enough to paint the one I have.