So it begins. Walk the newbface through her first metal mini?

Ellyria

Aah!!! I got my ReaperCon 2011 Adventure Sophie! She's so pretty!!!

And I'm totally freaked out I'm going to break her in the assembly process.

I managed to detach and clean stray edges off all the bits.

Now what? Glue first then paint or paint first then glue?

What kind of glue? Super glue? Hot glue? Can I solder her?

Also, one of her wing tips is bent. Can I bend it back? How fragile is her whip?

*Passes out from forgetting to breathe.*

Edited by Ellyria
  • Like 4

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not try and solder. It can be done,I have seen it done, I also know people who have melted pieces of mini doing it. Superglue is the general recommended material. First thing though, take care and wash her down with soapy water. Sometimes you endup with a bit of mold release on the figure, and they won't stick.

Yes you can bend it back, just take your time at it, and don't worry about the unpleasant sounds it makes when you do. I have never done this Sophie, so I can not say how fragile her whip is, but most cases, the answer is 'not very' unless you bend it a lot,or a long ways.

Now, the paint then assemble vs assemble then paint debate is a long and old one, with valid reasoning on both sides. WIth a figure like Sophie, I assemble, but leave the wings off, then I paint.

• Like 4

Do a dry fit to see how the pieces fit together. It should be pretty good, but if it isn't you may need to file a bit to get a good join, or take note of spots that need a little filler in the gaps.

Glue one piece at a time. I don't remember how many pieces she comes in, but it's best to have stuff glued on solid and cured before you move to the next bit. I know you're excited to get her together *right now* but it's better to go slowly and let each join cure for an hour or more so you don't accidentally break it off while trying to get the next part glued.

Once she's assembled you apply primer. Paint is not primer.

• Like 5

Now that you've cleaned the flash (extra metal on the model), mould lines, washed and primed her, be prepared to trim some more mould lines and then reprime the affected areas. Some mould lines are darned near invisible until you prime the piece after which they become glaringly obvious. This doesn't mean that you didn't do a good job the first time; second (and sometimes third) passes with the hobby knife are normal.

Edited by Dan Goodchild
  • Like 3

If the join is gappy, you might try 2-part epoxy glue. For superglue, look for one that is suitable for porous materials or formulated for gluing unlike materials. Usually this means buying relatively expensive superglue. Zap-a-Gap is commonly used, but I have had good success with appropriate Loctite superglues, available through auto accessory stores and hardware retailers.

Also, one of her wing tips is bent. Can I bend it back? How fragile is her whip?

*Passes out from forgetting to breathe.*

**waits for newb to regain consciousness**

Seconds Shadowraven's suggestion about painting the interior (ventral surface) of the wings before attaching.

Practice bending metal before you bend the wing.

• You can use paperclip wire, copper wire, or the metal sprue that came with the model to practice on.
  • It is a very good idea to get a feel for it before you work on the wing.
  • It is a bad idea to use metal tools like needle nosed pliers to bend a white metal wing.
  • (If you have to use a metal implement to get enough leverage wrap the wing in tape or something.)
  • Support the metal underneath the bend.
  • Wooden implements can help with bending (they are soft enough to not mar the mini, but hard enough to apply sufficient force)
  • If it is a curled wing tip a dowel rod can be really useful to unbend the part using a rolling motion.
  • Use your fingers if they are strong enough (you'll be able to feel the metal starting to 'give' before it snaps).
Edited by TGP
  • Like 1

Spray Primer: keep it thin, test first, pray primer following the directions on the can. Shake for two minutes, start each pass spraying the air near the mini and finish each pass in the air on the other side.

Spray primer does not need 100% coverage to work well. Keep it thin, thick spray primer can be a disaster. If using a spray primer give it 24 hours to cure.

Additional superglue note: the bond will strengthen over time. Be very gentle with it for the first 48 hours.

• Like 1

I have been painting figures since the mid 1980s and the excitement has not left. Sure I get frustrated, I have been painting the same jacket for two weeks, but at the same time my birthday and x-mas are within a week of each other, and every year about this time I start compiling a wish list! Back on topic, I have that Sophie and the whip isn't all that fragile in my experience. Reaper's metal is pretty solid, yet flexible.

Edited by captenglish
  • Like 2