So it begins. Walk the newbface through her first metal mini?

Ellyria

Personally I find it easier to get a smooth coat with spray primer. But usually once you open a can you need to use it up in a few weeks. So, I tend to clean and trim and file and glue a large batch of minis, then prime a large batch, then paint at leisure. Often I find assembly more satisfying than painting... but only with metals! Assembling plastic just doesn't give me the same kick.

My experience with spray primers is limited, but that is not something I've noticed with Tamiya fine white surface primer (spray). My can is many years old and shows no signs of failure. I shake it up once in a while since it doesn't get used very often. I like the way spray primer adheres in a fairly uniform manner, but I almost always have to touch up with brush-on after I find more things to file or otherwise fix during a paint job.

Yeah, every primer i have used has lasted for years. I think my current giant can of gray Armory primer has been in use for over a decade (yes i really am that slow to paint minis!) with no problems.

And if you are impatient, do ot use 15 minute epoxy to connect joints...you start going batty at five minutes trying not to move the parts. Well i should have those giant bottles of epoxy used up in a few years---then i can try 5 minute epoxy. ;-)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing I've found handy for economizing on spray primer is to prime the figures in big batches. Space a dozen or so out on a file box lid or similar board, take it outside, and spray the lot of them. Then turn the whole thing around and spray the other side. I've primed hundreds of figures this way and only gone through 2 or 3 spray cans over 20ish years.

You wouldn't believe how excited I was when I read the primer label and it said: "Apply top coat within 1-24 hours or after 7 days." Since waiting a week would cause me to implode... *** Crappy cellphone pic warning! ***

post-12665-0-45218300-1379732204.jpg

First pass to block out all the base colors:

post-12665-0-41413700-1379732248.jpg

The level of detail on her face was kicking my butt, so I gave her warpaint to fix my zombie head fiasco.

post-12665-0-31920200-1379732328.jpg

I wish I had a better zoom function, especially to show off the wings because I'm quite proud of how I made them all webby and veiny and cool and stuff. :)

post-12665-0-18895600-1379732582.jpg

So far the things that are giving me the most trouble: her teeny tiny eyes, brows and mouth; the belt/strap buckles, and the shadowing between her boobs. I've also discovered I'm too dyslexic to work under a mag lamp.

Edited by Ellyria
  • Like 2

I use cheap primer. My Testor's Dullcote keeps amazingly well, but hardware all-primer goes "off" one way or another pretty quick. I do go 3 years between painting sprees sometimes.

Ellyria, what I can see there looks good! Have you tried balancing your phone on the table and pointing a desk light at the mini? More stability plus more light usually equals better pics from a phone.

*** Crappy cellphone pic warning! ***

attachicon.gif

Image0702.jpg

I wish I had a better zoom function, especially to show off the wings because I'm quite proud of how I made them all webby and veiny and cool and stuff. :)

In addition to the lens care, light and stability suggestions offered above I would add 'keep some distance'. Notice that there is a tiny section of the shot in the quote that is in pretty good focus?

The teapot (or whatever it is) in the background is in decent focus. Try keeping that distance and cropping away unneeded background to see how for the cell camera can take you.