Happy Birthday George R. R. Martin

Loim

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The day after Paul and Storm released their video of "Write like the wind" they played at a little in house concert at a nerd convention in Utah called Nerdtacular - and the opening act for them was a fella named John Anealio, who closed with a song he had written a few years before called "George R.R. Martin is Not Your B*tch".

Edited by Malynor
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the TV show, but the books are far superior. The books feel so much more "real," and have a fantastic depth of world that the show doesn't have. The HBO show is a great little low-fantasy adventure, but the books feel like stepping into another world. I readily recommend both, and tell people to start with the show, because I liked it more before I realized just how much was getting cut out.

That's my experience anyway. YMMV, but I would really try the books if you have a few hours/days/weeks/months/characters to kill.

Martin is a ... bad word.

They should have called the police and had him arrested for theft and destruction of property. He's become as obnoxious as Harlan Ellison.

Having been a fan of Paul and Storm since their DaVinci's Notebook days i can assure you that everything that happened in that video was planned.

I don't know who scares me more in that video: Neil Gaiman or George R. R. Martin. Sure, Martin is destroying a guitar, but Gaiman seems like he's ready to just lay the smack-down.

I have to say, I've never picked any of Song of Fire and Ice books, but I did read the first Wildcards book and thought it was a good read.

Martin is a ... bad word.

They should have called the police and had him arrested for theft and destruction of property. He's become as obnoxious as Harlan Ellison.

Having been a fan of Paul and Storm since their DaVinci's Notebook days i can assure you that everything that happened in that video was planned.

Whether it was a put-up job or not changes only the details of the offense, not its fact. Like Ellison, he's a whiny git and proud for everyone to know it. (And I have liked some of his writing quite a bit, but that doesn't change my opinion of him personally.)

What exactly was the offense there? He's an author who wrote some books that got really popular. A bunch of entitled fans thought he owed them more books faster than he was coming out with them. Another faction of fans (including Neil Gaiman) called for the first group to lay off him, since "GRRM is not your b****!" P&S made a song for the first group, and thought it would be funny to have Gaiman and Martin show up and break up their set, so they asked them if they would. All I see happening there is GRRM playing along with a couple of comedians.

Edited by Slendertroll
  • Like 1

What exactly was the offense there? He's an author who wrote some books that got really popular. A bunch of entitled fans thought he owed them more books faster than he was coming out with them. Another faction of fans (including Neil Gaiman) called for the first group to lay off him, since "GRRM is not your b****!" P&S made a song for the first group, and thought it would be funny to have Gaiman and Martin show up and break up their set, so they asked them if they would. All I see happening there is GRRM playing along with a couple of comedians.

Fixed that for you. As someone with the name, I get really tired of seeing that misspelling.

• Like 1