Happy Birthday George R. R. Martin

Loim

No one likes George R R Martin here. Mostly for the murder of Ned, but for other abuses as well. So our house would wish him his least favorite cake and spoiled ice cream. And a can of my cat's farts.

I'm sensing some anger here, and that redambrosia is not someone you'd want to cross.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What exactly was the offense there? He's an author who wrote some books that got really popular. A bunch of entitled fans thought he owed them more books faster than he was coming out with them. Another faction of fans (including Neil Gaiman) called for the first group to lay off him, since "GRRM is not your b****!" P&S made a song for the first group, and thought it would be funny to have Gaiman and Martin show up and break up their set, so they asked them if they would. All I see happening there is GRRM playing along with a couple of comedians.

Fixed that for you. As someone with the name, I get really tired of seeing that misspelling.

My apologies, Neil. Fixed my post.

• Like 1

What exactly was the offense there? He's an author who wrote some books that got really popular. A bunch of entitled fans thought he owed them more books faster than he was coming out with them. Another faction of fans (including Neil Gaiman) called for the first group to lay off him, since "GRRM is not your b****!" P&S made a song for the first group, and thought it would be funny to have Gaiman and Martin show up and break up their set, so they asked them if they would. All I see happening there is GRRM playing along with a couple of comedians.

Fixed that for you. As someone with the name, I get really tired of seeing that misspelling.

My apologies, Neil. Fixed my post.

It's no big deal, really. I have an extremely rare last name (only five of us in the States and we're all related. Oddly enough, it isn't a made up name and belongs to a Scandinavian royal house of some sort) and it blows my mind when people get that right then mess up my first name. It's the same name as the first man to step on the moon, and yet people still get it wrong.

Now that Mr. Martin has finished his cake and opened his presents, let's hope he's back to writing for all his fans. Which I'm sure he loves, even when they demand things from him.

You're right. I recommend that all authors treat fans wanting more of their work as "entitled". And definitely insulting them is for that is the right move. I can't see how anyone could find anything wrong with that course of action.

How is participating in a comedy piece written by fans insulting his fans? You may as well be angry at an actor for what their character does.

If this were an isolated instance, you might have a point. But in fact he has been consistently abusive toward fans asking when the next volume in his latest series will be out. The skit was yet another example of that, though couched in "comedy".

How is participating in a comedy piece written by fans insulting his fans? You may as well be angry at an actor for what their character does.

If this were an isolated instance, you might have a point. But in fact he has been consistently abusive toward fans asking when the next volume in his latest series will be out. The skit was yet another example of that, though couched in "comedy".

To play devil's advocate for a moment, how many times to you think he hears that same question every time he meets fans? If it were me, I'd start frothing at the mouth after the first hundred times or so.

You're right. I recommend that all authors treat fans wanting more of their work as "entitled". And definitely insulting them is for that is the right move. I can't see how anyone could find anything wrong with that course of action.

It's not that people want more of his work, it's that he gets attacked every time he does anything but write. Every time he makes a public appearance, his "fans" come out of the woodwork to tell him to get back to writing and stop doing other things. He doesn't owe you anything.

It's not that people want more of his work, it's that he gets attacked every time he does anything but write. Every time he makes a public appearance, his "fans" come out of the woodwork to tell him to get back to writing and stop doing other things. He doesn't owe you anything.

Me? I've never contacted the man, I stopped reading Ice and Fire several years ago, and I don't much care if he ever releases another book. Not only does he not owe me anything, but I don't want anything from him. Perhaps you could stop personalizing this, as it's not on point.

As to the original issue:

Want to be a writer? Great, write away. If you're good enough at it (and Martin, at his best, certainly is), you can make money and a name.

Want to avoid negative feedback? Great, don't go to conventions and tell your publisher to trash all the mail that comes from fans (or "fans") for you.

Want adulation without dilution by unhappy fans? Well, that's a bit harder. If you put yourself out in front of large groups of people in hopes of fawning sycophants, you get to deal with the people who are less happy with you too. And when you do get that negative feedback, remember that you put yourself into that position in the first place.

Martin and Ellison are both talented writers who seem to have serious problems completing projects for which they have announced dates, and pushed the dates back, and then pushed the dates back again, and again, and again. And both are very sensitive to any comment or criticism regarding those projects or the missed dates. And both seem very much to want to play the Big Name Author. And they're both poisonous.

With that, I think I've said all I need to on this issue, so feel free to carry on without me.

I haven't seen any examples of him actually havimg a go at fans though. Plenty of jokey comments like "I have a list here of all the characters I'm going to kill, it's basically all of your faves" but nothing about him calling his fans entiteld. Plenty examples of others doing that, but he's not them.
Likewise on his fan mail I can find plenty of people saying they've had personalised book plates sent to them within a few weeks and him saying he gets sent a lot of bizarre things but nothing about getting his publisher to trash all his mail.
If he's obnoxious as you're saying I'm not seeing it.