Katherine Laddermore

odinsgrandson

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing! I love your detail and shading. How do you get the gold bits to pop out like that?

That is largely composition. The areas around the gold are in the dark blue- which is one of the darkest colors I have on this mini.

I originally started with a lighter color for the blue areas here, but it was too close to the gold, and the whole composition didn't seem to be working. Sounds like I made the right choice.

Anybody ever tell you you have a talent?

Looking sweet. The hem of the cape? Real nice. It's one thing to be able to paint what is there, and another to be able to paint what ISN'T.

Thanks. I've been working on "painting outside the lines" since I met Marike a couple years ago and she explained what that means. You can change the expression on a mini with paint only.

Mmmm, that peach-colored cloak is my favorite part. So very creamy, and the colored shadows!

Thank you. The purple in the shadows goes throughout the minis, as does the yellow in the highlights. I hadn't realized how yellow highlights would actually make photographing her harder (at least, harder to white balance). Recently, I've been picking shadow and highlight colors to spread all over a mini.

I've found that coloring your shadows especially adds quite a bit of interest to a piece.

Coloring shadows is one of the very first lessons I learned in my art classes in college. Very few people actually study their environment for visual reference. Most people just assume that black is the color of shadows and I blame Crayola. In reality very few objects and shadows are perfectly black. I rarely use black. It's a "dead" color. The only time I will use it is to darken a value or to really emphasize the drama in a particular form. And even then, very sparingly. Coloring shadows does more than bring visual interest, it more greatly reflects the natural world around us and makes the piece more believable. Funny thing is that so many hobbyists still paint using the assumptions they learned about color when they were 6 years old. A supper easy way to take your painting skills to the next level is to simply study your environment and challenge your understanding of the natural world around you. One of the best lessons I learned in my art classes was this. "Draw/paint what you see, not what you think you see." For example, if you ask a kid to draw an eye, what you will most likely get is this.

eye.jpg

Ask an artist to draw an eye, you get this.

35f692b0b02d71ffcc8f0552f211176d-d59eyrr

That level of understanding comes from learning to distrust what you think you see and to study what you actually see.