Sign in to follow this  
Dai-Mongar

Zombie (77053)

I'm getting some proper photos of the minis I've painted on my holiday this last week and a half, now that I can finish the bases and have access to a real camera.

So, here's my Bones zombie:

post-3125-0-55074700-1379754570_thumb.jpg

Nothing very fancy, but I wanted to see if I could get a good scheme for batch-painting. Mostly drybrushing and washing, with a light purple glaze at the end.

I'm pretty pleased with the result, even if I did end up botching his right eye when I tried to "fix" a tiny little mistake. You know the ones that are almost imperceptible, but you can see them because you know it's there, and you assume everyone else can too? The ones that can screw up an otherwise perfectly fine mini when you try to do something about them? Yeah, one of those. In the end, I didn't think one little zombie was worth trying to keep re-fixing my fixing, so I called him done.

• Like 21

I'm seriously considering getting rid of all of the metal Warlord zombies I have and stocking up on these guys instead. And while I'm at it, I can get some for Judge Dredd, and SuperSystem, and Song of Blades and Heroes, and...

*disappears under pile of George zombies*

• Like 1

Very nice. I painted these guys up too, but not with the dry brush and wash method. I don't know why but I haven't tried a wash yet after dry brushing, I am going to have to try that technique out myself sometime, soon. Because I think this guy looks better than the guys I did some very quick layering on.. and even though mine were fast, I have a feeling your's were even faster, and have a very nice clean smooth look to them.

• Like 2

Thanks! For the zombie skin I did a base coat of VMC green-brown; washed it with TAP strong tone quickshade ink; then drybrushed layers of green-brown, green-brown mixed with OOP GW elf flesh, and elf flesh by itself and finally glazed it with some heavily thinned GW xereus purple.

Very nice. I painted these guys up too, but not with the dry brush and wash method. I don't know why but I haven't tried a wash yet after dry brushing, I am going to have to try that technique out myself sometime, soon. Because I think this guy looks better than the guys I did some very quick layering on.. and even though mine were fast, I have a feeling your's were even faster, and have a very nice clean smooth look to them.

I agree these guys don't get a huge benefit from layering vs wash/drybrush. They're great models to quick paint and my quick layered one doesn't look as good as that one (my glazed one is about the same but took hours longer).

As far as washing after drybrushing, my old painting method in the 90s was just to do pseudo layering by repeatedly washing and drybrushing many times. You can get some great effects with that.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tigermanic
      Ordered Ma'al Drakar to play the role of Tiamat in my Rise of Tiamat campaign I'm currently running. (Icons of the realm Tiamat is just to small IMHO)

Having just received it in the mail I'm finally understanding the scale of the project I have Doomed myself to. Lol

I was wondering if people had tips on mold line removal for pieces this large, what you suggest for Gap filling between all the assembled pieces, should I prime before assembly, and if there is a best way (or horribly wrong way) to pin all the pieces together.
    • By Cicciopiu
      Hello again forum family, I keep my purple period rolling on :D
      This time wanna share with you my version of Eilluvasheth. Beingi n my purple phase the dominant color is purple, and what's better than a gold armor to complement it?
      So I've tried to paint it in NMM to challenge me as NMM is out of my comfort zone. Still I'm trying to figure out where to place the shines and to maximize the contrast, but in the end I'm pretty happy of her, also considering that this lady is full of tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiny details 
      Also i'm trying to pump the shadows instead of the hi-lights to maximize the purple contrast, just to avoid it to look pink.

Hope you'll like her :)

Now, nipples are covered in armor, but to avoid mods to delete the pics, I'll link the front one.

Hi-Res Front Picture
      Hi-Res Back picture

As always every c&c is more than welcome.
      Thank you for watching
    • By PhantomAquarist
      I did this one a while ago. My first attempt to recreate the painted version on the packaging. I'm just missing the foliage. This was super fun! :D

• By spitfire23bc
      'Tis the season! I posted this a while ago before is got paint on him. Santac'Laus has featured in the Christmas one-shot games I've run for the last couple of years (and this year is no exception). He's gone from villain to lovable (but weird) friend, who rides a manta-ray-shaped sleigh, pulled by a team of beholders. 

If you're one of my players, please don't read the spoiler!

The hat, sack and present were all made with green stuff. The snow was made with snow powder mixed with water effects. 

• By Lord of the Dish Pit
      Inspired by the weekend question, I took some pictures of the army thus far and found that posting it in the question thread would be excessive, also that I didn't have an ongoing thread for my largest painted army so here it is. The plan is to get my Shelf of Incompleteion cleared off then work on reinforcements for this alongside my Old School Undead army. 

Here we have the Pumpkin construct unit led by a Storybook Witch from Old Glory. I have 3 more of her, but the bag only came with the one flight stand and the Reaper ones I have don't fit, when I get around that, they'll form their own unit. Behind her is Rotpatch, and the scarecrow is hanging out with these guys until I can get a couple more. The constructs are filling the slot of core infantry.

Here is a Ral Partha Witch leading the Pumpkin Knight heavy infantry consisting of the Halloween Knight and converted Barrow Wardens. 

Willow Greenivy leading the skeletal Pumpkin Guard. 10 newer GW skeletions and a variety of Reaper Bones. 

Elise with the Pumpkin Chucker and some Bones skeletal archers providing ranged support.

A female Necromancer and the Etherial Legion of ghosts and wraiths. 

An Iconic Witch, Pumpkin Spider, and friends.

A converted Brettonian Sorceress with the skeletal heavy infantry. Basically, what happens when adventurers irritate the witches.

Bats, wolves, and allied vampires. 

Another vampire and werewolf allies.

Zombies, ghouls, and another Reaper Witch. 

Beastmen and hell hounds with an infernalist witch. 
  • Who's Online   12 Members, 0 Anonymous, 27 Guests (See full list)