Sign in to follow this  
Dai-Mongar

Zombie (77053)

I'm getting some proper photos of the minis I've painted on my holiday this last week and a half, now that I can finish the bases and have access to a real camera.

So, here's my Bones zombie:

post-3125-0-55074700-1379754570_thumb.jpg

Nothing very fancy, but I wanted to see if I could get a good scheme for batch-painting. Mostly drybrushing and washing, with a light purple glaze at the end.

I'm pretty pleased with the result, even if I did end up botching his right eye when I tried to "fix" a tiny little mistake. You know the ones that are almost imperceptible, but you can see them because you know it's there, and you assume everyone else can too? The ones that can screw up an otherwise perfectly fine mini when you try to do something about them? Yeah, one of those. In the end, I didn't think one little zombie was worth trying to keep re-fixing my fixing, so I called him done.

• Like 21

I'm seriously considering getting rid of all of the metal Warlord zombies I have and stocking up on these guys instead. And while I'm at it, I can get some for Judge Dredd, and SuperSystem, and Song of Blades and Heroes, and...

*disappears under pile of George zombies*

• Like 1

Very nice. I painted these guys up too, but not with the dry brush and wash method. I don't know why but I haven't tried a wash yet after dry brushing, I am going to have to try that technique out myself sometime, soon. Because I think this guy looks better than the guys I did some very quick layering on.. and even though mine were fast, I have a feeling your's were even faster, and have a very nice clean smooth look to them.

• Like 2

Thanks! For the zombie skin I did a base coat of VMC green-brown; washed it with TAP strong tone quickshade ink; then drybrushed layers of green-brown, green-brown mixed with OOP GW elf flesh, and elf flesh by itself and finally glazed it with some heavily thinned GW xereus purple.

Very nice. I painted these guys up too, but not with the dry brush and wash method. I don't know why but I haven't tried a wash yet after dry brushing, I am going to have to try that technique out myself sometime, soon. Because I think this guy looks better than the guys I did some very quick layering on.. and even though mine were fast, I have a feeling your's were even faster, and have a very nice clean smooth look to them.

I agree these guys don't get a huge benefit from layering vs wash/drybrush. They're great models to quick paint and my quick layered one doesn't look as good as that one (my glazed one is about the same but took hours longer).

As far as washing after drybrushing, my old painting method in the 90s was just to do pseudo layering by repeatedly washing and drybrushing many times. You can get some great effects with that.

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this