Defiance Games 28mm Power Armor Hardsuits miniatures

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So .... I'm not sure why I went to check out how this was doing, since I didn't back it.  Residual sense of responsibility for having linked to it in the first place, perhaps.  I have hesitations abou

What Monkeysloth said. ^^^   I don't like being negative and don't want a reputation as being cynical, but this is one company that potential backers should really do their homework on before pledgi

Definately happy!   Knowledge shared is knowledge gained.

I won't back this kickstarter. Defiance Games makes some really neat miniatures, but are notoriously bad about getting their product into the hands of consumers. I originally pre-ordered the Marines and they ended up being 8 months late and I never received the special staff sgt miniature that was suppose to be part of the pre-order (and yes, this was a real pre-order). Every other release they have done has followed a similar pattern. Although these are very cool I will wait till I actually see them on the shelf to buy them.

• Like 2

Tony Reidy still works for Defiance and because of that I won't back this (he's just not the CEO anymore but some type of creative director). Defiance makes Eastern Front look like the most prompt, on time, miniature company ever. They take pre-orders for minis and then it takes them almost 2 years to deliver then and when they do they're from a very poor spin cast plastic that barely holds any detail. They were setting themselves up to be Trollcast, refused to listen to Ed on how the process should work and then decided to muck with the Trollcast formula. Say what you will about Trollcast and Ed but these guys managed to make it 1000x worse.

The thread on Frothers for how messed up Defiance and Tony are is over 400 pages. Yes 400 pages of tracking defiance for the past 2 years.

Edited by MonkeySloth
  • Like 2

Tony Reidy still works for Defiance and because of that I won't back this (he's just not the CEO anymore but some type of creative director). Defiance makes Eastern Front look like the most prompt, on time, miniature company ever. They take pre-orders for minis and then it takes them almost 2 years to deliver then and when they do they're from a very poor spin cast plastic that barely holds any detail. They were setting themselves up to be Trollcast, refused to listen to Ed on how the process should work and then decided to muck with the Trollcast formula. Say what you will about Trollcast and Ed but these guys managed to make it 1000x worse.

The thread on Frothers for how messed up Defiance and Tony are is over 400 pages. Yes 400 pages of tracking defiance for the past 2 years.

What Monkeysloth said. ^^^

I don't like being negative and don't want a reputation as being cynical, but this is one company that potential backers should really do their homework on before pledging. The owner of Defiance does not have a good history of running a company. Regardless of who is now managing things there, I myself would not get involved with anything from them.

Also for those not familiar with Frothers, it is NOT family friendly and often NSFW. They are however very insightful and outspoken in their opinions. Many folks in the mini industry post there, but again, not a place for those who are easily offended.

• Like 4

What Monkeysloth said. ^^^

I don't like being negative and don't want a reputation as being cynical, but this is one company that potential backers should really do their homework on before pledging. The owner of Defiance does not have a good history of running a company. Regardless of who is now managing things there, I myself would not get involved with anything from them.

Also for those not familiar with Frothers, it is NOT family friendly and often NSFW. They are however very insightful and outspoken in their opinions. Many folks in the mini industry post there, but again, not a place for those who are easily offended.

A lot of us were wary about Mierce before backing the Darklands KS, and we turned out to be over cautious.

Frothers not family friendly? Are they ANYTHING friendly?

There's a difference between Mierce, which did have a history of actually producing stuff on time and with high quality, and defiance, which has never done either of those. Mierce's problem was that Malestrom was a poorly thought out online store that crumbled around them and manufactures cut them off as their capitol disappeared. Was is a risk? Sure, but not that big of one due to the history of the mini company itself. Do I understand why people would not trust Rob? Sure. But they didn't have any issues on delivering ordered stuff until the last month or two of their operation when the problems started.

Tony, on the other hand, refuses to pay suppliers, refuses to try and deliver decent quality and, worst of all, refuses to deliver a product that customer's pay for. If you check their facebook page it's full of people asking where the stuff they paid for over 6 months ago are. The thing is they make everything IN HOUSE and cannot deliver on what's ordered. When they do figures are miscast, missing arms, legs and have almost no detail at all. Look at the KS image:

77bdc2cc320e961ba79f7f80759e27b0_large.j

That texture is not painted on, it's how crappy their quality is.

Edited by MonkeySloth

A lot of us were wary about Mierce before backing the Darklands KS, and we turned out to be over cautious.

Frothers not family friendly? Are they ANYTHING friendly?

All I'm going to say about that is that once someone shows low business morals by trying to solicit an order from me personally that they know they will be unable to fulfil, that person(s) has lost my business forever, regardless of how tasty the candy is that they're currently selling.

As for Frothers, yeah, you're probably right Beagle. :;):

• Like 1

I was wondering how long it would take this Kickstarter to show up here and the bashing begin.

Of course, much of it is deserved.

I won't back this, as I've been burned by them myself. And I was an Alien Wars beta tester.

However, despite my own misgivings with them, I have been seeing some positive signs of change. With Gary taking over as CEO, things do seem to changing. The number of "where's my stuff" posts are diminishing, and recent products appear to have shipped shortly after being announced. Tony hasn't been allowed to run his mouth off with promises, either.

Howard, who wrote the Alien Wars rules for them, quietly distanced himself from them months ago, and yet is now cautiously promoting the Kickstarter.

And their original funding goal was quite modest - much less than I thought they would have asked for.

I'll be watching this KS to see how it goes. If they manage to deliver even close to on time, I think it will be a very positive thing for them.